Why do people come to Shetland?

JAStewart

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

I didn't really have much choice in the matter. When you are 13 years old having lived in the central belt for as long as you can remember and your parents tell you "we're moving to Shetland"...there really isn't much you can do.

I don't regret moving to Shetland in hindsight. The schooling is generally better than where I was and it probably was a better environment to grow up in.

I was in a well paid job, but totally fed up with the stress of it, crime and pollution.

I had never been to Shetland, never been further than Orkney, but I felt that my life was in a rut, so one day I sent my son off to the shops for a couple of foccacia rolls and a jar of lemon mayonaisse, packed my suitcase and buggered off before he got back.

Here I am then!

• 2 years later...

Having done it the other way, I could never imagine why people would want to move to Shetland. I moved out as a teenager when oil was first discovered. In fact you can blame me for the oil in a small way as I helped find it while working on a norwegien oil survey ship back in 1971. But back to the point, its only when your older that you appreciate the upbringing, the safety, the level of education, the abundant wildlife, Up Helly Aa, lovely people - in the main and you can understand why people would want to move to Shetland, maybe Shetlanders should spend time living in the mailand Uk and the answer to the question will become apparent? I dont know, I know I love going home for a holiday every now and then. Its great to be back home!

on a slightly different tack, I've never been to Posers either, but then it wasnt around it was the Planets, and we could all dance as we were taught how to at School - if you went to the Central! Cant speak for those instituters.

Adventure. I think. I'm not sure... packed an army surplus rucksack 9 years ago in Canada and bought a one way ticket to Glasgow - landed with £200 in my pocket. Saying that, I did have work lined up in Shetland before I came, so I wasn't being THAT adventurous. What a mad 9 years it's been. This place is home to me now.

According to the New Scientist my father moved up for love. Followed his girlfriend up for a week's holiday, 35years later he's still here. (Personally I think it was more after the rather long and bumpy journey up on the old Clair he was too fairt to go back down again.)

Well my parents moved for a change.

My parents and grandparents were in the army down in England.

They found out about a croft on sale on Foula and decided to leave there big great house with all the comforts you could wish for and moved to this croft on foula where i remember getting electricity from car batteries and from landrovers. It was a great move though, dont think i would have wanted to grow anywhere else. I was 4 when we left foula for Boddam.

Stayed their till i was 16. Now i only come back for holidays to see my friends as all my family have moved away.

:D