Why do people come to Shetland?

JAStewart

It appears negative at first, until you read further. Manofkent begins by saying '..I could never imagine why people would want to move to Shetland.' It is only after elaboration, that the 'could' is fixed definitely in the past-tense and that he has since changed his mind.

;)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paulb wrote :- im suprised that the man of kent is bothered with a web site about shetland if he hated it so much.

Well, if he had read the whole thing he would have indeed realised that my point was totally positive for my HOMELAND.

As a young teenager you hate most things, its only when you are older or no longer have it that you realise what you have given up. I wanted to see the world, and I did, and now realise that in many many ways Shetland beats everybody else. If I wasnt proud to be a Shetlander or hated it, I wouldnt have the word "Shetland" tattooed on my arm, a shetland flag on my desk at work, a lapel badge on my jacket and like every real Shetlander, deny being Scottish. As I said in the previous comments, I love going home, its so special to me, but it is expensive, I can go to the USA for almost the same money.

PS in case of any further confusion, SHETLAND RULES OK!

:oops: excellent cant argue about cost i worked out it was cheaper to fly the family to the U.S. than to manchester. im hoping the flybe will be cheaper. sorry man of kent only read the quotes of your message. but the facts are the same this little group of islands provides some of the best things in the world.

even the weather is better than that in the south. and who knows with global warming it could be the costa reawick in 50 years time.

As I said in the previous comments, I love going home, its so special to me, but it is expensive, I can go to the USA for almost the same money.

Yes you're not kidding there. The cost of flying my family up from Kent is quite punishing. It was excellent while EU Jet operated out of Kent International to Edinburgh as my folks are three miles away in Birchington, but since the collapse of that airline and the subsequent investors having an interest in Glasgow-Prestwick which doesn't link to here no suitable route has appeared beyond getting on the train and travelling to Heathrow, Gatwick or Stanstead. That's quite a faff for my elderlies and a lot of money if you're on a pension.

I don't go 'home' much because of the cost and the fact that I prefer it up here, and I should say that I agreed with your original post. I too wondered why anyone would come here until I actually did and now I wonder why people don't come here - apart from the cost that is.....

It's a funny old world...

• 2 weeks later...

lol, i stick by it, but I was harsh, some scum come here, but do have to admit some good people come as well. Just wish I would have a two teer system blood Shetlanders then some kind of slave/in commer breed, would make it all so much better, we should support our viking heritage and embrace its good points :)

lol, i stick by it, but I was harsh, some scum come here, but do have to admit some good people come as well. Just wish I would have a two teer system blood Shetlanders then some kind of slave/in commer breed, would make it all so much better, we should support our viking heritage and embrace its good points :)

:roll: sigh :roll: and this gives you the excuses to start dressing up in skirts again. :D

Err... so you don't want incomers?

Weren't the vikings incomers?

I say send the viking scum back :roll:

I hope no more come.

I'm an 'incomer' and kind of half agree with you.

I've been here more than 30 years, worked for my living, raised my family here, and contributed to the community.

(PC MODE=OFF, TROLL MODE=ON)

What gets to me a bit is the apparent influx of 'Coffin Dodgers' retiring here, Low Lifers who need to stand on tiptoe to qualify as bottom feeders, Imported SIC Employees (particularly management, the jobs should go to LOCALS) and 'social outcasts' from other areas.

I hope no more come.

I'm an 'incomer' and kind of half agree with you.

I've been here more than 30 years, worked for my living, raised my family here, and contributed to the community.

Is that not the key? The measure of how useful somone is to society is their contribution to that society. I know some Shetlanders who contribute nothing to their community and some incomers who embrace it whoheartedly and give their all, and vice versa.

(PC MODE=OFF, TROLL MODE=ON)

What gets to me a bit is the apparent influx of 'Coffin Dodgers' retiring here, Low Lifers who need to stand on tiptoe to qualify as bottom feeders, Imported SIC Employees (particularly management, the jobs should go to LOCALS) and 'social outcasts' from other areas.

Hmm, a little unfair. Where the skills don't exist here you need to import people plain and simple. You can't give the job to a "local" if the person can't do it. I do agree with you in deploring the amount of economically inactive incomers who are merely a drain on public coffers. Retirees particularly don't really appreciate the harm they're doing; the house prices might be 'cheap' to them but for each house sold to an economically and socially inactive retiree, a local person may well have to move south to find a home. Additionally, buying more remote properties puts them at risk from a health perspective - face it if your ticker pops in Ollaberry, you ain't going to make it as the ambulance isn't going to reach you any time soon.