Shetland Folk Festival - Unst

Foords_Chocolates

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are doing an excellent job for the people who employ you. Money keeps rolling in. Not mine though.

WHAT?????? This is hilarious. You do know that we are all volunteers?

Who said anything about you being paid? You are employed by the committee to publicise and organise. Whatever perks you get are between you and them.

The people who do the work "for" the folk festival, do it out of passion and because they enjoy it, not because they are "employed". Not for the festival committee either - its all done for us to enjoy.

Why not say "what can i do to help you put on more concerts here?"

Speaking as a north isles resident, i feel we have been spoilt over the years with the quantity and quality of shows put on by the festival. We have a free ferry so we can easily nip to either of the other islands if there is a concert there. A far shorter trip than someone from Northmavine going to Brae (as a random example).

Yep you're right Spinner72 - it's all about being passionate about it.

Why else would the committee take annual leave from their main jobs in order to run around the whole weekend (with very little sleep) to put on one of the most profiled (if not the most profiled) events in Shetland's calender. The committee buy their memberships like everyone else, our own merchandise and spend a ridiculous amount of time in the months in the run up to the event (in evenings and weekends) It's always worth it in the end.

You're right tlady, it's a thankless task being on any kind of committee never mind the Folk Festival one. Most of the time the only voices that are heard are the one's who have plenty of negative points but no actual constructive critisism or willingness to help out.

It's a shame that while Mhari P is spelling out the actual facts of the matter regarding Unst concerts (lets not forget that's what this is all about) Foords & Claudias are managing to put folk off of helping out at the Festival! Good job guys!!

And as Mhari P said, it is an entirely volunteer run festival with neither Mhari P or any of the rest of the committee being 'employed' or receive any 'perks'. (that is unless you call having to deal with this nonsense a perk??!!)

Mhari P, you are doing a great job, hopfully one of the rest of the committee will buy you a pint for all your hard work!!

Isn't it strange how people read into posts things which were never intended.

Foord complained about the lack of a concert in Unst this year and I reminisced on how good concerts used to be in the distant past. Neither of these posts were an attack on the FF committee. From this a slanging match has developed between Mhari P and I and people are now claiming that we are inhibiting volounteers.

Read this which ever way you like. If you like the way things are.. support the cause. If you don't.. vote with your feet

Foords & Claudias are managing to put folk off of helping out at the Festival! Good job guys!!

I think we are reading different forums if that is how you are interpreting this particular one. Frankly, I simply wanted to be able to attend a festival event. It would seem that in the opinion of many on this forum that I am not allowed to request such a thing, so fair enough, you are all entitled to your opinions - just don't read or type rubbish like the quote above when it is clearly untrue.

Frankly, I simply wanted to be able to attend a festival event.

If they're not sold out by now, Mid Yell on Friday and Fetlar on Saturday would appear to be your closest choices...if you really wanted to attend you'd find a way.

If, due to your circumstances, you can't make either of them then you'll just have to put up with it...the same way as any Shetlander has to put up with things they'd like to do but can't.

Foords_Chocolate, if you re-read this thread you will find posts from both Pooks & tlady stating that they are glad they are not volunteering at the festival (and I'm guessing it's because of the contents of this thread!)

So I reiterate "Good job guys".