Tesco sells padded bra for 7 yr olds.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml?xml=/global/2008/04/14/noindex/nbra114.xml

Supermarket giant Tesco has been heavily criticised for selling a padded plunge bra aimed at girls as young as seven.

The bra, which costs £4, is sold alongside vests in the supermarket's seven to eight-year-old age range.

Fashion lecturer David Morris described the bra as "salacious".

He added: "I can imagine women being upset about their daughters buying these 'pocket money bras' without their mums knowing.

"The bra is modelled on a plunge style - it has a very low bridge connecting the cups. It means the shape and position is lower to expose the breast tissue."

Tesco, however, defended the bra. A spokesman said: "It is a product designed for girls at that self-conscious age when they are just developing.

"It is designed to cover up, not flatter, and was developed after speaking to parents.

"It is described as a padded bra for trade description reasons."

"It is a product designed for girls at that self-conscious age when they are just developing "

Self conscious age :shock: Its aimed at 7 year olds for heavens sake, and as far as I am aware (exept for a few rare cases) puberty doesn't start then.

God only knows what the Parents they 'spoke to' were like.

Tesco needs to get a grip - this follows on from the pole dance kit fiasco!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't ever confuse Tesco with a company that has morals. They exist to make money and nothing more. Take a look at recent reports as to how they can sell clothing as cheap as they do for a start.

Here's a start....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/tesco-clothes-made-by-child-workers-in-asia-419561.html

Cheap food and clothing comes at a price for somebody somewhere down the line....and yes, they're headed North!

:-(

Don't ever confuse Tesco with a company that has morals. They exist to make money and nothing more.

I'd be interested to find a 'successful' company which doesn't adopt this practice.

Good point

and they must think that opening a store will make some money or they would not bother

Don't ever confuse Tesco with a company that has morals. They exist to make money and nothing more.

I'd be interested to find a 'successful' company which doesn't adopt this practice.

If you measure success by making money, then it'd be surprising if you found a "successful" one that did not make money.... ;-)

That's what makes it even worse - parents actually encouraging this.

I don't know why parents feel the need to make their children grow up faster than they should. Let them have their childhood while they can, I say. Don't force them to start worrying about things that should be left firmly to adulthood.

The trouble is that there is some parents, that will actually buy this for there seven year olds. I know that puberty can some times start very young in some girls but? at the age of seven must still be a very small majority how can they make any money on it?

As for the paedophilia sassermaet I'm not totally sure where your coming from on that point, could you elaborate a bit more, unless you think that some paedophile is going to buy some and try and give it to some girls in the local park? God Knows I will never under stand why any one would want to hurt a child and when a paedophile is caught they should be locked up with no parole. And Pleepsie has a point "Its aimed at 7 year olds for heavens sake, and as far as I am aware (except for a few rare cases) puberty doesn't start then" And why a supermarket! If a girl of seven start Puberty wouldn't the first thing any mother would do if she had to buy a bra would be to take her to a shop that sells bras like Smiths on Commercial Street in Lerwick (If it has ever happens in Shetland) And what next for Tesco. Marital Aids perhaps or if a man should get a sexually transmitted disease. In stead of going to the health center He could go to Tescos and join the nearest queue at the nearest till operator and drop his pants and ask what do you think I have had a bad itch for the past week and can you give me something for it. Or a woman, would she have to spread out on the conveyer belt? That would make an unusual start for the opening of our new branch.

The trouble is that there is some parents, that will actually buy this for there seven year olds. I know that puberty can some times start very young in some girls but? at the age of seven must still be a very small majority how can they make any money on it?

As for the paedophilia sassermaet I'm not totally sure where your coming from on that point, could you elaborate a bit more, unless you think that some paedophile is going to buy some and try and give it to some girls in the local park? God Knows I will never under stand why any one would want to hurt a child and when a paedophile is caught they should be locked up with no parole. And Pleepsie has a point "Its aimed at 7 year olds for heavens sake, and as far as I am aware (except for a few rare cases) puberty doesn't start then" And why a supermarket! If a girl of seven start Puberty wouldn't the first thing any mother would do if she had to buy a bra would be to take her to a shop that sells bras like Smiths on Commercial Street in Lerwick (If it has ever happens in Shetland) And what next for Tesco. Marital Aids perhaps or if a man should get a sexually transmitted disease. In stead of going to the health center He could go to Tescos and join the nearest queue at the nearest till operator and drop his pants and ask what do you think I have had a bad itch for the past week and can you give me something for it. Or a woman, would she have to spread out on the conveyer belt? That would make an unusual start for the opening of our new branch.

Well...true enough, I didn't exactly word that in the best way...:oops:

What I meant was that buying things like padded bras for seven year olds, as well as the previous incident with the mini pole dancing kit, is sexualising young children and will therefore whet the appetites of paedophiles.

And I agree, no sense in buying cheap bras from a supermarket. You get what you pay for.

Additionally, in case you didn't know, Tesco already do a pharmacy service, although as to whether or not they'll be bringing one north is another matter.

My bit about the sexually transmitted disease ect, was me trying for some, irony or maybe to be a bit sarcastic. But after reading it again I'm now lost to witch of the two fits in here

As to sassermaet

"What I meant was that buying things like padded bras for seven year olds, as well as the previous incident with the mini pole dancing kit, is sexualising young children and will therefore whet the appetites of paedophiles. "

And Pleepsie

"Its aimed at 7 year olds for heavens sake, and as far as I am aware (exept for a few rare cases) puberty doesn't start then.

God only knows what the Parents they 'spoke to' were like."

One could say you both have hit the nail on the head.

Maybe the Barbie Doll has a lot to answer for here as some of the outfits were very near the knuckle at times

and the spice girls as well