Raising Children - Tips?

Stay firm. Your house - your rules. Remember, you are not asking for rocket science just good behaviour.

I am a great believer in taking responsibility for your actions. Children are very capable of this too.

Keep going. Don't give in. It is not easy but you will have a much nicer child at the end of the day.

Fx

Sending child to bedroom, I find works as well as it did with me 20+ years ago. Of course not having computer/TV etc in room helps.

But try to remember how you reacted to different punishments and why. When my 9yearold has calmed down enough (or occasionally when I've calmed down enough) I usually try to discuss what caused the punishment.

Tantrums are best ignored completely - though I occasionally like to stand and laugh and agree that I am the "Worst mother in the world". Giving in is the worst thing possible to do, and if you speak with your child at a less stressful time they'll usually agree.

forgot to say, but you'll probably remember yourself that being sent to your room alone, usually gives you time to think things over in private, where as the naughty chair is more like public humiliation

It must be sometime in the air this weekend :shock: my normally very placid and well behaved 8 year old threw a wobbly last night throwing the toothbrush and paste!

I'm personally not a great fan of "time out" especially if the child is still having a tantrum.

As a toddler "tantrums" should be ignored and definitely not given into.

But at 8 temper tantrums shouldn't be allowed to carry on.

My 8 year old was exhausted as I'd relaxed the rule about no sleep-overs (even at the weekend) in term time .. wrong move !!

As I very rarely ever raise my voice in the house it's very effective when I do. It scares the wits out of him and calms the situation, and I then also added some humour after by telling him he was much too young to act like a "Kevin/teenager".

I will admit though that this method is not how I did it the first time round 20 years ago.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I am much more relaxed with the whole upbringing thing this time round.

Best thing is to not let the tantrums get you up or down. pay no attention until the child calms down, it doesnt take long for them to figure out that tantrums arent going to get them the attention they hoped it would.

Its all part of growing up & finding yourself, kids have yet to find the ability to count to 10 & calm down, the odd overspill of emotions cant be avoided.

Its just not fair that you have to be a kid to have an excuse for having a tantrum ! Many's the time us adults would love to have a kicking & screaming session when life doesnt run to plan !

Its just not fair that you have to be a kid to have an excuse for having a tantrum ! Many's the time us adults would love to have a kicking & screaming session when life doesnt run to plan !

Always figured that's what bread making was for. Know one women who prefers ironing (imagine the person who's ticked you off inside the garment), then the's the guy who peels tatties...