Geneology

Pooks

I don't know if many of you know this but the Shetland Family History Society has quite a comprehensive collection of peoples past in a database that is accessible with 'Brothers Keeper'.

I don't think the membership is much, around a tenner a year.

Turns out my family history goes back to aroundabout 800ad as does many other Shetlanders. Worth a look.

That is of course unless you are McFly. I seem to recall a story from his brother. Something to do with Ireland, Cattle rustlers and running away and hiding. :wink: Not a lot of family history left when your family has done such a good job of hiding your existence. :lol:

That is of course unless you are McFly. I seem to recall a story from his brother. Something to do with Ireland, Cattle rustlers and running away and hiding. :wink: Not a lot of family history left when your family has done such a good job of hiding your existence. :lol:

:lol:

Well remembered Pooks. I do recall McFly junior telling me a story about the McFlys being cattle rustlers in Argyll and not turning up for Culloden because they were all drunk. I've no idea where he heard it, but it's a great story.

There is currently a new shetland database on the go which is used with brother's keeper, there are folks updating this weekly with the help of 'Shetland Times' births, marriages and deaths section as well as corrections and contributions from elsewhere. Then every now and again they release it on a cd. With this and the internet for the earlier generations I can trace back 50 odd generations. Its a bit scary though when you use the compute relationship feature and find out you are related 20 different ways to someone you just thought was a second cousin!

There is currently a new shetland database on the go which is used with brother's keeper, there are folks updating this weekly with the help of 'Shetland Times' births, marriages and deaths section as well as corrections and contributions from elsewhere. Then every now and again they release it on a cd.

It sounds like the very same database Radarman although I could be mistaken.

• 3 months later...
Another fantastic site is www.bayanne.info

I think most of their information comes from the Shetland Family History Society. They show info on people that have passed away.

Thanks tirvaluk,

Ive managed to trace my family back as far as the 14th century and also discoverd Royal blood in the family.

Wonder if I can get money from the royal purse for that?(':lol:')