When did Fly become a Flech

When did councillor Greenfly become a Flea.

Now known as Flea, he was originally called Greenfly or fly for short- Pronounced "flee".

He now is known as Flea which would make him a flech!

Has he mutated?

Is it a better description?

would cleg be better?

Guest Anonymous

I think there is some room for debate on the spelling here.

The main problem being how you see the spelling of the Shetland dialect.

To my ears a Fly in the dialect has always been a Flea, not a Flee.

I'm sure that scholars of the dialect will tell me otherwise. I'd be interested to hear thoughts on my interpretation. Perhaps of course it all depends on which area of the isle your dialect is from.

Onywye, lang mey his lum reek. An mey he lang be a flech upö da hide o da idder cooncilors. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

^^^^ Off course a Flea is a Flech

But I've seen many instances of Fly being spelled as Flea, as well as Flee in the dialect. This is the problem with a dialect which is written as it sounds to different people. Strangely, I would tend to use Flee purly for a fishing fly, whereas I would use Flea for Fly, and Flech, or Fleach for Flea.

Confused? I am :lol:

Somebody like Ghostrider will maybe know correctly, but I thing Greenfly was a nickname derived from Greenfeild, as in an address. I am most likely wrong though. :D

I've heard of him for more than 30 years and have never heard him referred to as Greenfly, so it must have dropped out of use long ago.

Certainly, in his refereeing days, he was called a lot of different things. :lol:

I believe he has two brothers known as Speedie and Patooka but don't ask me where those names came from.