Whats the longest you've ever stayed up?

Aboot 48 hours. I had been in Glasgow fir my 18th and I stayed up all night in the bar on the boat. I then did a full days wark the next day, and then we geed on a driving extravaganza in my car all night. I think we ended up in Burra, we got home at aboot 7 in the morning.

I might have actually been up longer if you tak illness and things intae acoont, but maybe no.

50 odd in my younger days. Can't do it now, although I fairly often go without sleep for an evening just to catch up on work. Anybody that says they don't begin hallucinating or having peculiar thoughts by that stage is pure and simply lying. Your brain eventually gives in and starts to go into sleep state whether your body is still awake or not.

I try and avoid it now after recently (past year) having a particularly busy time I went to the toilet for a pish and next I knew I was on the floor having fainted. Your body can only take so much and as far as I am concerned it is not worth it to overwork yourself.

I would imagine that Shetland is worse than a lot of other places for this due to the last Tuesday in January amalgamating into several days. Get up at 5-6ish then continue all night, this is then continued by hop night and then the hair of the dog the following day. If you opt to stay up or get involved with a few parties then that is a good few days without kip...

Anybody that says they don't begin hallucinating or having peculiar thoughts by that stage is pure and simply lying. Your brain eventually gives in and starts to go into sleep state whether your body is still awake or not.

I would imagine that Shetland is worse than a lot of other places for this due to the last Tuesday in January amalgamating into several days. .

The mirror for this is around mid-summers when it is never dark so just when your body clock is saying mmm, maybe sleep soon, the sun comes up and short circuits it!

Camping is terrible/great for this.

I used to love the occasional 'ghoster' at work, the banter and madness you'd get among the guys after about 20 hours was beyond compare. Very funny.

We are doomed up here to have erratic sleep patterns!

Unless you work 9-5, stay indoors, never party or guise and invest in heavy curtains, of course :wink:

ps 36+ for work in the past. probably the same socially, maybe more on occasion. Worst combination, summer social late nights combined with work the next day! Not for a long time though. Loooong days!

72 hours in the army - unassisted by drugs - walking around like a zombie.

Fell asleep outside in minus 14 degree temperatures and ended up with frostnip, despite sports socks, army socks, ski socks and fur lined wellies.

Almost got a free chopper ride out of it (easy now!!)