Ghost Stories

lumpsucker

Do you believe in ghosts  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in ghosts

• Yes, I am a big scaredy cat
    • No, its an absolute load of nonsense
    • Yes, I am a ghost

I have worked with the guy you Speak of and he did'nt grab me as a bullturdter either New Magnie, I never heard him tell the story, but to mak him jump oot da window it most been some gluff!, and yes Big V is still stalking the Hangar at Scatsta large as life.

I have worked with the guy you Speak of and he did'nt grab me as a bullturdter either New Magnie, I never heard him tell the story, but to mak him jump oot da window it most been some gluff!, and yes Big V is still stalking the Hangar at Scatsta large as life.

My god i canna belive Big V has made it on to shetlink the mans a absloute gem and a legand. As is his home bru!!! 8O

• 1 month later...

I know its been a month since the last posts on this thread but I have been reading it recently and loving some of the stories about Shetland. Anyone ever hear of the 'cooking ghost' in the old Radio Shetland building just up from baroc there? When in that building late at night I could hear noise on the floor above and the smell of someone cooking something like bacon. I thought a squatter might have broken in and hearing footsteps up the stairs I decided to go and get rid of them. As I moved up the smell got stronger and when i got to the top floor it was empty. When I asked other staff members one or two could confirm they had experienced the same thing and had called it the cooking ghost.

Maryfield in Bressay supposedly has stories of a small girl who can be seen on the stairs and even worse sits at the bottom of one of the beds at night at the same time and pins your legs down. A few folk have told me stories about there. Anyone know anymore?

I agree.

One place I have always wondered about is the house at the Skeld junction just after you go through Bixter. From what I remember, it looks like a fairly grand looking house that has just been left to rot. It just seems to fit the sterotypical "abandoned haunted house" scenario. Just something I thought about the other day, I drove past that burnt out hotel between Huntly and Inverurie at the weekend and that place reminded me of it.

Back to what I was saying about the Vaults tours in Edinburgh. One of my friends went on one of these tours with his female flatmate. During the tour, the guide asked if anyone experienced anything after the tour to let them know. The next morning his flatmate found 3 bruises on her shoulder that looked like finger marks. The went back and the guide said they had a number of reports like that, something about couples in that particular room being targeted as the "presence" sees the male as competition/threat. Sounds like the stuff I have read about Bloody MacKenzie.

In my 2nd year halls at Uni in Dundee, there were 4 bedroom flats on the bottom floor and I knew 2 of the guys that stayed in one of them, both of them had a story about the place. One of them was in the flat, and he heard moving around in this other guys room and just assumed that he was in, only for him to walk through the front door about 5 minutes later. The other lad had a jar that he kept his spare change in and twice (I think) came into his room to find the jar on the floor with the contents on the floor. The jar had about £8-£10 in change in it, so it would take something to knock it clean off the shelf it sat on.

Weel, i used to work at scalloway meat company many years ago and there was always an eerie feeling aboot the store upstairs, there was one day which was a bit weird. A few of us were up in the store jus getting on with work when the boss and his daughter came up fur a look. they were all jus chatting away when the lass pointed to the corner of the room and asked " whos that man?" and yes, no one was there. The lass was quite young at the time and she didnt appear to be making it up. We had heard all the rumours of the store being haunted but that did it fur me! i was scared to go up there for quite a while!! 8O

Am still interested in the stories about the place between malcomsons and the jewellers on the street. Some of the stories sound a bit wild but nothing came of getting Russel on to tell us. That story about Olaberry that was broadcast on Radio Shetland has also scared the proverbial faeces out of me! Anymore on that one?

More on da Ollaberry story which wus on Radio Shetland (I kindly got a recording o da report sent tae me by a fellow Shetlinker):

Da events occured at da Schoolhoose aroond da turn o da century, an' da main pert o da Radio Shetland report came fae a reading o an extract fae da Shetland Times back when it all happened. Da names o da folk involved an' even da community were changed tae protect those involved (Ollaberry had been caw'd "Grunaberg").

Things started when da teacher dere (a Mr. Manson) had bairn's comin' in tae see him wi scratches on der faces - He cleaned dem up an' sent dem back oot tae play wi a few stern wirds, thinkin' it wus just childish shenanigans. Soon efterwards more bairns came in wi more scratches on der faces, some o dem had dem inside der mouths.

Der followed much of whit can best be described as "standard poltergeist fayre" - things movin' on der own, unexplained noises etc, da best story of which was:

A tough-as-nails blacksmith in da community heard aboot dis powerful force dat had been abusin' da maid in da schoolhoose, he went ower an' said he wus goin' tae hold ontae her an' dat "not even the Devil himself" could take her oot o his grasp... Almost immediately she was thrown across da room. Creepy stuff.

Der were rumours o a curse bein' responsible - Wan auld suspected witch had her hair set alight by a burnin' peat she hed thrown at her in an attempt tae stop da ghostly goings-on.

Da Schoolhoose was in da process o bein' renovated when Radio Shetland covered da story, so no doot somebody is livin' in it noo...

Wance ageen I agree wi MacMutton - Any chance o gettin' more stories fae da Hydro Electric shop?

Has anyone heard about houses in Haldane Burgess Cresent being haunted?

A girl I used to go to school with lived in a HBC house and always claimed that the house was haunted ie noises from upstairs when everyone was down stairs etc. As children we had sleepovers at her house which were always good fun but the house always had a feeling of a precence which you could not explain! 8O

This thread seems to have gone a fair distance without anyone mentioning Busta House. I don't think I have ever spoken to anyone who has actually seen the ghost in that house, but most people seem to know someone who has.

Ah Busta house! When we went there fir a family celebration Dirk an me used to go and set it up like there was a ghost there. We went into the lidbary room once and moved all the chairs around (There was a group of people in there that night and they had left it for coffee)

I actually have a sign fir Busta house in my room, Dirk and me actually fun it on the Gruting Road believe it or not!

I love Shetland ghost stories, I know quite a few, it's suprising how many there are, almost aa the ones I've read I'd never heard before.

There's a road on your way to Waas, once you've passed the end o the gruting road and before the turn of to wast burrafirth. It's called 'Tirvels' Meadow' and when they built the road they knocked down an old ladies road so she curse the road, and cars have been known in the dead of the night to completely stop and aa the lights just to turn off when folk have driven there.

There are loads of stories from St Ringans, mainly of books randomly flying off shelves and being found on the floor the next day, torn newspapers etc. Just last week a friend of a friend who works in the library say's she saw a ghost at the main desk. It was in the morning, the building was open and she was sitting at the computer on her own. She was aware of someone standing at the desk and she looked round and saw a man with a long beard, tall hat and a brown coat, he was smiling too. She turned her head back to computer for just a few seconds, got up and he was gone. Another library worker who has spent lots of time in the basement often hears steps in the corridor when no one is there and generally feels a 'presence' in the atmosphere whenever she is down there

Hayfield House has a few too. When I worked there two of my colleagues and longest serving workers said they had often heard someone wheeling a trolley through the basement floor and they would often smell custard creams and tea. This happened on many occasions and every time they looked there was no one there. The building is supposed to be haunted by the Grey Lady too and is she is often been seen looking from the windows at the top floor.

The same with a former Council office in bank lane where the kettle would go on and off, things would be moved around desks at night and the lights would dim through the day. I know of one other from Sound School - a former janitor told me how he took his dog with him to check on a light left on late at night one winter. He got to the entrance to the lower primary wing and the dog's hair stood up on end and it refused to move one more step. He had to leave the dog where it was to turn the light off and says he definitely felt something there that night.

The Hayfield stories are interesting, I think I have been told about the "Grey Lady" before. The basement one is a new one on me however. I was told there was a case a couple of years back where one of the workers in Hayfield felt a definate "hand grip" on their shoulder or back.

The Bank Lane stuff does sound interesting, particularly the stuff being moved about. However I think the electrical stuff you mentioned could really be put down to faulty wiring, particularly with the age of the building (I assume you mean the old Psych. Services behind the tattie shop). My old PC had a habit of switching itself on after a powercut, the first couple of times it happened in my Uni flat it freaked me out because I came back in, knowing I hadn't switched my PC on that day, to find it running. It was only after a powercut whilst I was in the flat that I realised what had happened.

The Sound School story is a good, the apparent ability that dogs/animals have to "see things we can't" always interests me, but for all the investigations I have read about where a dog starts barking/growling at apparently nothing...I'm reminded of my old neighbours dog who would bark at leaves falling in the garden.

Speaking of Schools, given the age of some parts of the Anderson I would have expected a few more stories about it. Having been in the basement below the English department a couple of times, the story was it was once used as a morgue and was haunted, I remember being told something about fire extinguishers being knocked off of walls and such like. Anyone got any stories spawning from here?

The Sound School story is a good, the apparent ability that dogs/animals have to "see things we can't" always interests me, but for all the investigations I have read about where a dog starts barking/growling at apparently nothing...I'm reminded of my old neighbours dog who would bark at leaves falling in the garden.

A friend of mine always took his dog fishing and it went everywhere with him............Except it would not go near the north end of the island in Girlsta Loch , every time, the hairs would raise on its back & it would retreat & wait for him to fish back around to the south end.