Solicitor Fees

Becky

Hi everyone

Can anybody give me a rough idea of how much a local solicitor might charge for their services in buying a house?

I ask mainly because I was thinking about trying to purchase somewhere but I wondered how much I would have to pay when there is a good chance that I may not be the highest offer.

I'm worried I might end up with a huge bill and no house...

Any help and advice much appreciated!!

Becky

Simple formula for you: Fee = Arm + Leg

As far as 'making an offer', the fee - when I bought my house about six months ago - was about £50 for them simply printing out a standard letter and replacing your details. Then there's the VAT, and assorted spurious charges. No doubt the prices have gone up with the recent fuel hikes for some mysterious reason. :roll:

Also, you'll need to find a solicitor who has 'acted' on your behalf previously, or they'll possibly want photo ID, birth certificates and another fee of some description before they'll even entertain your request.

:evil:

Thank you for such a quick response!! I was fearing something even higher than that to be honest...ever the pessimist!

The whole thing about them having acted on my behalf before annoys me...seems I would've saved money had I had a criminal past...lol.

I guess it's all just to make us first time buyers get themselves into more debt than they can ever pay off!!

I also made the mistake of asking about the likelyhood of getting home improvement grants...and was told that I'd be unlikely to get one as I don't claim benefits. I'm a student and therefor entitled to no benefits, or seemingly help of any kind...so have to work every hour I can and get myself into even more debt!!

The joys of it all! It jsut seems that those who work hard to improve their own lives get so little help...but I'm flying off on a tangent here...excuse my ranting! And please don't thin that i'm anti benefits...I'm not, those who need them should certainly get them.

B

And for the love of god if you get quotes from a solicitor make sure they tell you if it includes VAT. A robbing swine (who shall remain nameless) quoted me £140 to do some conveyancing and then had the cheek to charge me £140+vat, it was only once I went up to his office after he sent me a threatening letter that I managed to get him to back down (well sitting outside his office telling everyone who went by he was a robbing mother ***** made him forget about it)

I'm sure my experience of solicitors is the exception rather than the rule. Just make sure everything is in black and white.

I've required the services of my solicitor a few times over the last few years (I've not been the baddie in these situations though!) and the last time I needed her help she actually wrote the letter I needed for free just because she was annoyed at the actions of the other party. I believe it costs a fortune to get a solicitor to even write a letter.

I like my solicitor :D

khitajrah...who is your solicitor?! She sounds lovely!!

Thanks for all the advice so far, will take note and ask about VAT when getting quotes.

As for grants, it was Hjaltland I spoke to and I can apply but I will be put on the (very long) "non priority" waiting list. Apparently they have never had any money left for the non priority list applicants before so my chances are extremely low.

But hey...I'm sure I could work more hours...studying for a degree isn't that hard... :shock:

Hi

I'm not to sure how much it is in Shetland but I bought a flat last year in Fife. I think the total solicitor bill was around £600, never actually had to hand over that amount of money. it was all worked out in all our mortgage fees. I'd have to look out the paperwork to get the exact figure. All I done was call around all the local solicitors to find out what their fees were. They were all pretty similar in the area. Everything was done over the phone or email and I never actually met my solicitor till the week of the move. it sounds like its different up here

I didn't have to pay anything till the day of the move when everything was signed.

There was just the one fee and that covered everything. so I could put as many offer in or notes of interest. Down south they didn't advise you to get a survey done on the property until the property had gone to a closing date and you had placed the highest offer.

Thanks to everyone for all their help and advice, I got me mammy to phone around for me and just so anyone else in the same boat needs to know, there is no charge for an unsuccessful offer.

I guess it's coz they hope you'll keep trying with them til you do get somewhere and pay them big bucks for that privallage!!

Becky

• 2 months later...
Tesco to enter the mortgage market

Tanya Powley - 29-Jul-2008

http://www.moneymarketing.co.uk/cgi-bin/item.cgi?id=170079&d=340&h=341&f=342

Tesco is to enter the mortgage market and launch a current account as part of its plans to grow its financial services arm.

This comes after the news yesterday that the Royal Bank of Scotland has sold its 50 per cent stake in Tesco Personal Finance to its joint venture partner Tesco for £950m.

According to reports, a trial is being run in Glasgow where an area of one of its stores has been turned into a bank with advisers and computer points for customers.

Seems like your wish is their command :)