The Cost of other things

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey there,

just a note to say that a lot of other amenities in Shetland which fall under "voluntary" are funded to the tune of £thousands per year, if it costs £80,000 to fund a cinema & music venue, its maybe not that bad. I'm sure DavieG knows the figures too, but there are some silent cash cows sitting right in the centre of lerwick.

Codling.

Guest Anonymous

But do we need the Amenity Trust? Hardly a shining example of an efficient and dynamic organisation. The functions they fulfil could be more cost-effectively provided by the private sector.

Could they really "guest"? Any figures to back this up?

As i'm led to believe the level of wages for the workers is considerably less than the appropriate sub-contractor cost would be and in terms of value for money they have, for the best part, staff who care sincerely about their jobs and the amenities they maintain. Something that money cannot buy in the private sector.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Talking purely from the perspective of the world of "girse", and I must confess this is probably a slightly unfair example, but the Amenity Trust ran a rather inefficient service cutting grass for the elderly and disabled for a number of years. It was taken off the Amenity Trust's remit eventually (much to the Trust's relief I am sure), and farmed out to the private sector (one of our rival firms); this cut costs AND resulted in a much higher level of service provision.

The cost of staff's wages "on the ground" in any organisation are always a mere fraction of the overall running costs - think of your premises, insurance, admin, management, etc etc - all these are included in sub-contractor rates. Sub-contractors can offer savings by spreading the burden of these overheads between a number of clients, instead of having to have dedicated resources - the economy of scale.

The likes of the Trust run something like a 37 hour week or thereby. Their working day is so short that by the time they have travelled back and forth to the site (they work in all manner of remote locations), and had their alloted breaktimes, there's hardly any time left in the day to get on with some work.

I have no doubt that their staff are genuinely diligent and conscientous, proud of their work and so forth but I totally disagree with you when you say that this can't be found in the private sector... you're wrong there Njugle, simple as that, there are equally conscientious people working for building firms all over Shetland, hardworking and diligent tree surgeons (Stevie Jay for example), and earnest and hardworking truck drivers (I'm sure you know one or two! :wink: ).

The private sector is much more competitive for a myriad of reasons, this has been proven time and time again, which is why local authorities contract out all kinds of work, under Best Value, to the private sector.

Guest Anonymous
Could they really "guest"? Any figures to back this up?

As i'm led to believe the level of wages for the workers is considerably less than the appropriate sub-contractor cost would be and in terms of value for money they have, for the best part, staff who care sincerely about their jobs and the amenities they maintain. Something that money cannot buy in the private sector.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

You may stand corrected. "Njugle"..... 8O

Talking purely from the perspective of the world of "girse", and I must confess this is probably a slightly unfair example, but the Amenity Trust ran a rather inefficient service cutting grass for the elderly and disabled for a number of years.

Yes. I heard they employed staff whose madcap antics included setting fire to car parks, and terrifying golfers with ungodly roars as they hurtled round the Brig'o'Fitch..............

My car was promptly collected for "recycling" from my drive at no cost to myself by the Amenity Trust. I would have had to pay to have had it removed from where I came from down south by the local council. People object to this so much that dumping of cars has become a real problem down there.

Whether the organisations here are efficient or not I have no idea, but you are a service-rich county.

I always thought council workers were notoriously lazy. I mind one time driving through road work in Bixter were one guy was operating a JCB, 2 were standing watching hands in pockets another 2 were standing chatting a 6th guy was on the phone and the 7th was taking a photo

now there's value for money