Shetland and roundabouts ne'er de twain shud meet

Salmon

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was designed by engineers, so it must be magnetic north ;)

If it had been designed by mathematicians it would point true north (awkard, so they are...)

I'm still to drive it without the cones in place, but it's a nicely done roundabout. Seemed well managed too. Good jorb all round, say I.

Only thing that puzzles me is that the lane markings are different from the one at Tescos... or am I just misremembering now? :?

Only thing that puzzles me is that the lane markings are different from the one at Tescos... or am I just misremembering now? :?

Naw, you're right, the lane markings are like the Tesco's roundabout used to be, before they wised up and sorted it out.

Give them a couple of years (and a few dozen minor accidents) and they'll soon have it right. :roll: :lol:

Guest Anonymous

Am I right in saying that the markings, on the main road, are different at the opposite sides of the roundabout. I seem to remember thinking that one side was marked correctly, and the other side wrong. :?

Just out of interest does anybody know if the compass rose on the new roundabout at Sound is aligned true north or magnetic?

yup, think that's on the other thread m8 ;)

roundabouts are supposed to help the traffick flow...that's why the

markings are like this.

I believe there's due to be a lot more traffic using the oversund road soon

and separating those cars from the ones going into/out of town does actually make sence to intelligent ppl!

road markings are there to guide you, ignore them at your own risk

Heading into Lerwick isn't the left lane for straight on and turning left and the right lane for turning right?

You'd have to be able to fit two cars side by side going around it in that case but isn't that possible without going on the red bit? By having the car going straight on hug the left edge of the roundabout?

What is the red cobbled bit for?

the red bit is for trucks to use as it would be a bit tight for them otherwise

You'd have to be able to fit two cars side by side going around it in that case but isn't that possible without going on the red bit? By having the car going straight on hug the left edge of the roundabout?

drive slower then, there is plenty of room.....it is actually 2 lanes wide

I didn't say it wasn't possible. I do hope everyone remembers to do that when it opens properly and not take the shortest route possible around it (left lane, grazing the red circle and out) as they've been doing for weeks and weeks...

What is it with people indicating right when they're going straight on on the Grantfield roundabout... Cretins.

What is it with people indicating right when they're going straight on on the Grantfield roundabout... Cretins.

I tend to do this. The reason is, when I was learning to drive in the mid nineties, I was tought by my driving instructor that if you were taking the first exit (left), you indicate left. In all other circumstances you indicate right as you enter the roundabout, then indicate left as you pass the exit before the one you intend to take, to turn off the roundabout so to speak. I have since found out that this is wrong. If you are going straight on you don't need to indicate at all.

I apologise to anyone who might get pissed off at this and I am trying to modify my behavior in this regard, but it is a hard habit to break after all these years.

I don't think the law has changed, I just think my driving instructor got it wrong (It was Petur Petursson BTW).

edit: As far as my test went, the tester never took me near a roundabout. :wink:

It may not be exactly 180 degrees from the exit (190?) but there being a fairly legitimate right turn/U-turn there it's better for everyone that you don't indicate right so the oncoming traffic doesn't have to needlessly slow down to a halt. A roundabout is supposed to be freeflowing!

I had Petur Petursson too, not that I can quite remember what he taught me now...

yup, more important to be clear than to be "correct".

The counter example for me is at the South Gremista roundabout, where if you are going north towards it, it's not particularly clear which lane traffic is in as it approaches the roundabout from the north. When somebody decides to go "right" across you without signalling...... not always easy to to see it in time.