Firefox 3

Roachmill

I am going to have to disagree. I have never witnessed the problem that you are having in the screengrab above on any machine using Firefox yet.

Java support does tend to be sluggish but then that could be down to Java itself (yes/no?).

I could give numerous examples of 'hacks' required to display code correctly on IE based browsers.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont worry, i'm not after a boring flame war, and forums would be very boring if everyone agreed!

The only reasonoble explaination i can think of is that FF is much more affected by other programs installed or running than other browsers. The shetlink page displays fine on my laptop and media centre, just not on the main comp.

The Java thing is something we're looked at for a long time, since obviously with any gaming site you want users to have a good experience from the outset. Again, things are unpredictable, sometimes its fine, other times sluggish enough to make the games unplayable, a problem we haven't seen in IE, Opera or even Safari. All are using the same VM of course.

Glad to hear it :)

The big problem I have with heavily Java based sites is that on slow machines they can be unbearable (Not just Firefox but any browser). I can't recall the amount of times I have turned away from a website because it was causing instability elsewhere.

As to my reasoning with IE's incapability to adhere to W3C standards, I have looked at many websites on http://browsershots.org/ only to be shown that most browsers can display the site as intended yet IE tends to have difficulty.

I have just tried to log on to the Shetland Times web site

and this is what firefox 3 and Google has come up with

What is the current listing status for www.shetlandtoday.co.uk/shetlandtimes/?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 1 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 29 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 2 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 06/17/2008, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 06/16/2008.

Malicious software includes 1 scripting exploit(s), 1 trojan(s), 1 exploit(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 5 new processes on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 3 domain(s), including heiheinn.cn, kiiss117.cn, jumpbnr.com.

1 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including heiheinn.cn.

Has anybody have any comments on this or found the same thing when they have tried the same site

I was wondering when a mention of this was going to come up on Shetlink – I have Shetland Today as my home page on all my computers (2 at work...) and it has been out of action for about a week.

First of all it just said you couldn’t access it, then it said it had been that victim of malicious hacking, now there’s an odd-looking makeshift page up with the news which says: “We would like to offer a sincere apology for the loss of services during the past six days. Our website suffered a severe and malicious attack which led to the host having to take the site offline while solutions were sought.

This temporary site will serve to provide the viewer with as much as possible of the extensive content the previous site did until long-term solutions for all our services, old and new, are finalised and produced.â€

I suppose everyone in Shetland is reading the paper anyway and hasn’t noticed? However both Firefox (original) and IE seem happy to load the temporary page for now. I didn’t have time to respond to v helpful suggestions offered earlier re making Shetlink run in Firefox – basically because I didn’t understand most of them and I just want for it to work when I click – so I run IE specially for Shetlink and Firefox for everything else. Now student son is home I will maybe get him to sort it and find out about FF3!

My guess is the ST site was hit by a SQL injection attack. All the cool script kiddies are doing it these days :roll: The most common form of attack is to add javascript tags to all text fields in a database. These (invisibly to the user) link to code on another server that gets pulled down to your browser and attacks you by whatever means the little... em.... darling... coder decides.

A good whack of the ST site was written in an older version of Dreamweaver which generates hideously insecure database access code. Hopefully newer versions are much better but IDK about that. Any hax0r worth their weight will manage to exploit it in seconds. Cleaning up the database is easy enough (you can use the hacker's own code to do it) but plugging the hole(s) on a site is a major operation - ploughing through log files to see where you're being exploited from is just the beginning :cry:

How to avoid it? At the very least validate all input. Use stored procedures for database access. Use MySQL for your database as, IIRC, it doesn't support multiple SQL statements in one go.

Good luck to the ST coders!

Found one problem with FF3 can't pst a message to shetlink admin , just keeps telling me that there is no message when there patently is one as I have just typed it.

If any of the mods are about can I ask that you remove the bastavoe regatta from the whats on as its been cancelled. I am sec/tees of the club for my sins.

any questions pm me.

thanks

Found one problem with FF3 can't pst a message to shetlink admin , just keeps telling me that there is no message when there patently is one as I have just typed it.

Humm... haven't experienced that myself with FF3. Can you post a message using any other browsers?

I don't seem to be able to do anything about the events calendar I'm afraid.

Have you tried the old cookie clearance technique Marlin? I presume cookies and settings would pass form FF2 to FF3. I've summoned the almighty admin and he/she/it is receiving messages no problem from me on Safari (OSX 10.5)

I've not tried FF3 yet, i don't often use FF, or Safari for that matter.

I have all so found that FF3 wont shut down properly if you click the cross at the right hind side FF appears to have closed down but if you call up the task manager and look in process you will find FF3 still running and have to shut it down from there instead