SKY TV in Shetland

Hollian

Around 2 weeks ago, Sky called me up telling me they couldn't install Sky due to where I lived (surrounded by houses, 2nd floor of flats and installing a dish would obstruct my neighbours windows!), they told me to sort the dish and call customer services. From there, they would send me a box and get the subscription sorted.

So, as of yesterday I now have a dish (thanks to my neighbour and a quad LMB). I rang Sky today, they now say I need to get an independent to sort me a box and a subscription out. Completely going back on their own word. Wonderful... :roll:

So my question is... Are there any Sky resellers here? Google isn't helping and I only know of Islesat who do Freesat. Or will I have to settle for FreeSat HD? :-/

(*** Mod - Merged ***)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom Deyell owns and runs Springbank electicals and he is also my first cousin. We had a Sky dish on our old house and it blew off in a gale. On our new house just next door Tom fitted a smaller satalite dish. Although it is more substantial in quality and fittings and such I would say that when we have heavy rain the channels do go off more than with our original Sky dish. Don't know if this is to do with size but it might be worth bearing in mind. It is possible Tom sells a larger dish I don't know. I think we got a small one because we are in a fairly exposed spot and we thought it wouldn't catch the wind so much.

Shetland is in Zone 2 for sky which means you're supposed to use the bigger dish. Something to do with a weaker signal I think, but as you've said it will work fine untill you get heavy rain or wind.

I'd think he's given you the smaller one for exactly the reason you stated, it'll catch less wind ;)

Sky sounds like an absolute nightmare!

Am hoping to get the BT package with TV,phone and internet when i move up, is it popular and more importantly more reliable? and if so why don't some of you guys go for it as the way sky are treating you i'd go somewhere else (if there is an alternative) on principal, sure you may miss out on a few programmes but it beats paying a company to be treated with such contempt.

^because as yet there is only one transmitter in shetland for freeview and it does NOT cover most of shetland....and the BT vision thingy needs a freeview signal for you to get the TV channels.

I hope you're moving to Lerwick or somewhere you can see the Bressay mast otherwise you'll not be watching much tv ;)

see this thread for more info

http://www.shetlink.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6394

^because as yet there is only one transmitter in shetland for freeview and it does NOT cover most of shetland....and the BT vision thingy needs a freeview signal for you to get the TV channels.

I hope you're moving to Lerwick or somewhere you can see the Bressay mast otherwise you'll not be watching much tv ;)

see this thread for more info

http://www.shetlink.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6394

i think they must have done something with the masts we get a reasonable freeview signal at wester skeld but its not sky standard. but if you were to put a signal booster in it would improve.

Are there any plans to put up more masts with the switch over to digital approaching?

As far as I know at the time of the switchover they will enable all the outlying masts for digital and also double the output power of the bressay mast. Apparently they can't do it before the switchover for 'technical' reasons.

I think the switchover is happening here next year.

Guest Anonymous

I happen to have access to terrestrial TV signal strength figures from about 60% of Shetland, which give a reasonable indication of the aerial type, booster type, etc., required.

Feel free to PM and I'll give any advice I can.