SKY TV in Shetland

Hollian

yep cancel the direct debit and tell them that once the phones working you will set it back up. i was charged for the six weeks of no sky. so i cancelled the dd. they threatened me with court and all the usual. it took a year for some one with a brain to listern to what i was saying. they cancelled the debt and restored the viewing. i did not think we would get freeview were we are but we do so it maybe worth checking out alternatives. the only thing to do is for you to dictate to them not the other way.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered SKY TV around the last week of September. I ordered this then as I was due to move into my own house with my girlfriend who was moving up from England. The “Pleasant and Helpful†person I got on the phone said got this all ordered for me quite happily, and happily took my payment for the phone line to be hooked up. I was told that this would take between 2-3 weeks for the phone like to be installed.

The order included SKY TV, Phone line with line rental and free calls, and SKY Broadband. And wanted to have this all in for the girlfriend moving up so she could keep in contact with home, because unfortunately we don’t get a mobile signal where we stay.

I was told I would receive a letter indicating when the engineer would be coming to install my phone line. After a couple of weeks I called back to ask why I hadn’t received this letter? The person I got on the phone this time said that I had to activate my viewing card for the order to process for my Phone line. This to me seemed stupid but I went ahead and managed to get into the house I was moving into to stick the card in the box that was in the house. This meant that since the viewing card was active, I had to start paying my monthly payments to sky TV. Even though I wasn’t using the service because I wasn’t staying in the house to get the phone line in ASAP this is what I had to do? That’s my FIRST Problem with sky. Why would you have to have your TV working to get a phone line?? The SECOND problem with sky is that I explained my situation to the first sky advisor I spoke to and she knew that I wanted this all in before I moved into the house, so why didn’t she enlighten me to the fact that I needed to activate my viewing card?

Well, besides that I got the viewing card activated, and again I was told I would receive a letter indicating when the engineer would be coming to install my phone line. After a couple of weeks I called back to ask why I hadn’t received this letter? The person I got on the phone this time said that my order appeared to be stuck? That’s my THIRD problem with sky. Isn’t there a system that monitors and follows up orders to ensure that everything is going smoothly? So anyway. This order was “escalated†I thinks the word, for a department to address and get my order back on track. This would take 48/72 hours I was then told AGAIN, after the 48/72 hours I would receive a letter indicating when the engineer would be coming to install my phone line This happened again a few weeks later. The same problem, the same outcome.

So on Friday the 13th of November, I called again. The person I got on the phone this time said that my order appeared to be stuck STILL. He was “nice†He told me he’d instead of escalating the problem, as it took too long, he cancel my order and reorder my phone line etc… as this would be easiest for all. PROBLEM 4 On leaving the call I got told id receive a call back that day to be offered some sort of sympathy deal or something. No phone call back was received!!!!

PROBLEM 5 So on the 17th of November, I called back to check my orders progress. The order that was still stuck in the system and the guy that I spoke to on the 13th had done nothing with it. PROBLEM 6 After over an hour on the phone, I got to a very unhelpful lad who eventually hung up on me, on phoning back I got a woman, called Shelia who said shed sort it out for me. And we are yet too see if this will be done. Unfortunately for me, SKY is the only provider of extra channels in Shetland and where I stay, and I’ve entered a contract which I cannot cancel without costing me MORE money.

PLEASE BEAR IN MIND THAT EVERY PHONE CALL MADE TO SKY, I HAD TO LEAVE MY HOUSE, AS I DON’T HAVE A PHONELINE OR PHONE SIGNAL AND DRIVE TO MY PARENTS TO USE THERE PHONE!!

Thats prviding a good service?? Useless.

You should have contacted http://www.islesat.com in Rerwick. Excellent & reliable service and they also fix Sky installations.

They don't according to the link you posted, and if you'd noticed in the post you quoted that the poster was waiting for the phone line to be installed, as they had booked the SKY broadband package. So whilst Islesat may be able to deal with the tv side of it they wouldn't be able to help the poster with the main problem he has, that of getting his broadband phoneline installed.

• 2 months later...

Just had Islesat here to install a new dish. Very impressed with the service and quality of the gear; much better than the Sky stuff they replaced, and it is guaranteed for ten years. Absolutely no complaints about the job done or the price asked either.

Good job.

• 9 months later...

I ordered Sky and I was given an installation date of the 6th November. I then received an e-mail saying this had been changed to the 11th November and a follow up letter from Sky confirmed the date as the 11th. No surprise, no one turned up on the 11th Nov for the full HD installation. Phoned Sky and they said all we could do was re-book the installation for the 6th December. Contractor turned up on the 6th,(I was out at the time) and after two minutes looking around outside the house informed the wife that he could not mount the dish due to the wall construction and he did not have the right equipment to do the job !!! Cavity walls can not support the dish, strange that every other house in the street has a dish hanging on the wall with no extra support or bracketing !!!!! I think I will give it one more go with Sky then just call it a day. The wife said the guy did not seem to have a clue what he was doing and when she phoned the structures engineer for the council, he said there was no problems mounting the dishes on the house !!!! I suppose we are at the mercy of the sub- contractor, I will make a point of being in next time he calls, even if it is just to lend him a torch !!!!!!!!!

I wanted Sky Multiroom but when I phoned Sky they wanted an extortionate amount of money for all the equipement. I ended up buying a 2nd hand Sky+ box and getting the guys at Springbank Electrical to change the LNB on my dish and run the cables to the new box. Very reasonably priced and they arrived when they said they would. Once it was all hooked up, I phoned Sky and told them all the equipment was installed and I wanted Multiroom. They sent out the extra viewing card within 4 days :D