Enterprise Funds

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

A recent business receiver of Shetland Enterprise funding has reputedly not been fulfilling their original business commitments.

Public money went to them to open a business - Should Shetland Enterprise not have to justify that the money was well placed and not simply wasted? Are there not guidelines that the receiver of the grant has to maintain in order to keep the grant in place for a certain length of time?

Seems like some folk can get away with just about anything, when other businesses are either refused help or it is made too difficult for them to get help.

I edited this post after being made aware that at least one of the facts that I posted was wrong - for that I apologise.

3] put a sign in the window for the last week saying that they were closed due to a family emergency, but were actually on holiday attending a Dolly Parton concert.

Well maybe some peoples idea of a family emergency is different to yours :lol: maybe gran just had to see Dolly.

It is poor though and I have no doubt tourists will tell others about such experiences if they roll up and the place is shut in the middle of the day.

Hello, Sian here...and I'm putting my real name!!

Just felt that I would like to put a few little facts straight.

Firstly, We, at the Northern Lights, have NEVER taken a booking and just not opened...This is slander.

We've also never cancelled a booking that we've taken...I defy anyone to name a date that we've done this.

Secondley, We have been open far more than closed.. I myself have been putting in 70+ hour weeks into our business since we opened.

It is true that my sister and I went to see Dolly Parton at the weekend, but in actual fact my mother (business partner) and her husband were away on urgent family business. The concert was a birthday present for my sister.

It is also worth noting that we put in far more money into making the Northern Lights cafe possible than we got in grant funding. It's highly unlikely that we'll go bust because we put everything we have into making our food unique and lovely.

Sian

^^ Welcome on board Sian.

I've been a little concerned with the "Dandiest_Guitarman" post for the sheer fact that for the most part it is un-substantiated hearsay.

I'm glad you've put your piece to give a balanced argument. I'm sorry that you've had to join Shetlink like this to do so...

Do enjoy the rest of your stay ... and join in and or start any threads you wish.

Trout

The Shetlink Team

Pretty well every word Dandiest Guitarman has said is a complete pack of lies posted by someone who is obviously out to get us. We know who you are and if this nonsense has damaged our business you'll be hearing from our lawyers.

Over the past two years we have put in a huge amount of personal hard work and effort, not to mention a large amount of our own money, to create something that was really needed in Unst, and we feel that we've succeeded in creating a wonderful facility, serving locals and visitors alike.

We've been open 6 days a week most weeks since we opened, and from now until the end of the school holidays we'll be open 7 days a week during the day and at least 3 evenings a week as well as the odd special booking and a wedding.

We most certainly take this business seriously and wouldn't jeopardise it by behaving as suggested. Most of our customers are delighted with the quality of our food and service. OUR chocolate cake is to die for!

Jackie at the Northern Lights.

As the nearest eating place to Northern Lights we were aware that they were closed, but from our point of view it just meant more trade came to us for a few days! However, Unst has been needing a choice of places to eat for some time, and this year we now have it with Northern Lights, Saxavord and the Baltasound Hotel all giving us a choice on the island of where to eat. We have been to Northern Lights and enjoyed our eating experience, both at a lunchtime and an evening meal.

As another small business in Unst, we know what sort of time and effort goes into running your own business, and look forward to visiting Northern Lights soon. Good luck to them in their first season and it looks like Dandiest Guitarman should check their facts before making unsubstantiated comments.

Aaron & Cassie Foord - and we put our real name too!!

P.S. we think OUR chocolate cake is best!

Will they not have to repay the money if they go bust - as sems entirely likely in the light of the recent post?

I thought the trick was to get the funding, go bust, keep the money and start the business again with a new name?!

Nah...that couldn't happen in Shetland...could it?

Sounds far too fishy for my liking....

Northern Lights, Saxavord and the Baltasound Hotel

Id heard of all these, including Foords, apart from Northern lights cafe - isn’t there already an establishment in Shetland with a similar name?

You need to up your advertising Northern Lights!

Did you setup too late for this years 'Shetland food directory'? as I see you aren't in it.

^^ The Northern Lights used to be/is a part of a hotel (function room??) in the north mainland, Brae maybe?? I didn't appreciate there were/are two establishments with the same name until this thread was started.

There's also the Northern Lights Holistic Spa in Bressay. Which is very nice and they do a lovely evening meal and have great accommodation! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Aaron & Cassie Foord - and we put our real name too!!

And respect to you for it.

P.S. we think OUR chocolate cake is best!

I must disagree here, your cake is most certainly not best for me as my ever expanding waistline is testment to! If you can make a non fattening cake with the same taste and texture then I will proclaim you the best! Until then I will abstain :(

(edited to fix my atroshus, attrochus, atro.. bad spelling)

^^ The Northern Lights used to be/is a part of a hotel (function room??) in the north mainland, Brae maybe?? I didn't appreciate there were/are two establishments with the same name until this thread was started.

There's also the Northern Lights Holistic Spa in Bressay. Which is very nice and they do a lovely evening meal and have great accommodation! :)

So there are *three* Northern Lights business trading up here? All of which offer food but are unconnected in any other way? At least they're on three different islands I suppose but surely there's bound to be some confusion. Maybe a name change / relaunch is required on someone's part.