Stuart Hill (Captain Calamity) Forvik

tlady

Do you support Stuart Hill  

222 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support Stuart Hill

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Don't know?

Shetland going it alone from the E.U. (the U.K. is just a province) with a 200 mile E.E.Z, does sound good.

Economically it is probably more than feasable, a very quick calculation on yearly oil exports alone (using very modest figure on oil prices and tonnages moved) would equate easily to 250 million pounds being taken on 5% levy on exports. It is probably much higher than this and I have not even factored in the gas....

If you have a few old shetland times you can get an average weekly tonnage shipped out of sullom voe, multiply that tonnage by 6.289 to give you the average number of barrels. Then multiple the average number of barrels by the price of oil per barrel, (constantly availabe & updated on bbc news website) Then multiply the weekly value of crude ship ments by 52.

Divide by 100 and times by 5 fo 5%. Will be interesting to see what figures anybody interested comes up with.

Bearing in mind that a single export levy of 5% to a shetland government would bring hugely increased profits to the oil industry compared to what they currently pay to the U.K / E.U. administration.

But of course that would only be the start, with full fishing rights and seabed ownership, probably another 100 million plus could easily be levied through fishing permits and seabed rental costs to fishfarms.

But sadly this is where the dream probably ends, we are clearly to much of a revenue producer for the establishment to just let us go and secondly we niether have the public will nor the political negotiators to make it happen.

I personally have no confidence in the ability of either the council or any of our political representaives, its pretty much a constant history of incompetance (apart from the 0.000whatever% of the gross they managed to get from the oil industry thus far..) at best and downright treachery at worst.

But saying all that I wish Stuart all the best on this latest chapter of his great crusade ! Go Captain!!

• 1 year later...

Anybody going?

Forvik Up Helly Aa (fire festival) is held on the last Tuesday in March. The jarl squad

gathers at the East Harbour for breakfast in the morning, before making a procession up to the

Steward’s Residence with the Bill, which is erected in its appointed place. The squad then

tours the various tourist, entertainment and care centres during the day, stopping again at the

Steward’s Residence for a ceremonial lunch. Lighting up is at 19:30 and the torchlit procession,

with up to 400 participants, circles the island. The climax is the burning of the galley at

the west beach, when all the torches are thrown into it and the galley is cast adrift to meet its

fate in the Atlantic. Those visitors who arrived in the galley are well advised to make

alternative arrangements to get back to the mainland.

Yup, I have a berth in the marina for my super-yacht for the duration of the event. And friends are flying in on the Heathrow-Forvik International flight.

I especially look forward to the evening reception at the Scottish Embassys' gaff where we will be offered a mound of sheepturde individually wrapped in gold foil - thus allowing me to say: "Why, Ambassador, you are spoiling us"....

Shetland going it alone from the E.U. (the U.K. is just a province) with a 200 mile E.E.Z, does sound good.

Sounds good; is wrong. 12 nautical miles as an isolated offshore island.

Consequence for Independent Scotland, less Orkney & Shetland. Loss of half the Pentland Firth tidal resource. A nuisance but survivable. It's joost a scare story.

Consequence for Shetland - disastrous wi a 12 nmile EEZ (which is where I am coming from incidentally). God kens why I should care whit happens tae da Godforsaken place - but I do.

See Diego Garcia

• 3 weeks later...

just keep on banging de SNP drum dessy boy lik da gud peerie monkey dat du is.

but why compare wis to Diego Garcia when that is an island leased by the uk for military purposes when we only have to look as far fae hom as da Faroes.

dey started fae da sem place as wis so dey are da logical ones ta look tae if we want ta see whar we could go.

But when du refers ta Shetland as a "gud forsaken hol" then it is braaly obvious du cares damn all aboot wis an only his eyes for fat eck, joost hoo saaty is he ony wye?

but why compare wis to Diego Garcia when that is an island leased by the uk for military purposes when we only have to look as far fae hom as da Faroes.

dey started fae da sem place as wis so dey are da logical ones ta look tae if we want ta see whar we could go.

As the scroungers of Europe? It was embarrassing enough having to explain to folk we were from Shetland not Faroe, without then having to listen to the rants about the Faroese lazy scroungers, subsidy junkies. Oh wait a minute we've got a bit of experience of living off subsidies up here already.

with a 200nm limit we widna need or want for anything ever again, we could afford every pie in the sky dream that this council or any other group of politicians could dream of.

An I'm spent enough time in Denmark to get a grasp of what they think and yes you will hear the subsidy routine thrown out in discussion but if a Danish fisherman is there, then just ask how much Denmark took from Faroes waters every year and the subsidy cries soon dry up.

and now that they are in the oil game it wont be long before they are absolutely rolling in it.

fact Faroes population has been increasing year on year while ours has been falling and if it wasn't for oil then Shetland would be practically deserted.

We have had every resource stolen from us only to be told we are subsidised so I guess that fallacy is applicable to both island groups.

Sounds good; is wrong. 12 nautical miles as an isolated offshore island.

Well 12 miles is possible, but also wrong, it would depend on the negotiations. Go and read you own link derick, the people of orkney and shetland would not be denied access to the resources surrounding their shores. As I said in the other thread, Falklands (population about 3000) have 200 miles and you do not get much more isolated than that. OK, maybe Pitcairn Island (population about 50) EEZ = 200 nautical miles, established in 1997.

Guest Anonymous

Why is this thread even allowed to stay active?

Shouldn't it be deleted or, at the very least, locked?

I'm pretty sure that if a thread was started about the affairs of, say, Abe Hassan (a Shetland resident with a similar disregard for the law)... The mod's would be onto it as keen as mustard!

(accidental reference to another common criminal we're not allowed to mention on an open forum, not fully intended)