Stuart Hill (Captain Calamity) Forvik

tlady

Do you support Stuart Hill  

222 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support Stuart Hill

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Don't know?

I dunno how search engines work, but when I googled "forvick" (yes, I took the bait!) the two top links were Shetlink, in fact there was no sign of Stuart Hill's website?

:lol: :lol:

Just like the rest of his waffle .... no substance :roll:

I dunno how search engines work, but when I googled "forvick" (yes, I took the bait!) the two top links were Shetlink, in fact there was no sign of Stuart Hill's website?

Considering its 'Forvik' and not 'Forvick'.

Considering its 'Forvik' and not 'Forvick'.

Got you now ... If the mods want to change the spelling my original "topic" to keep everything afloat, please feel free.

Found this as a reminder of his exploits. He accepts the 'Captain Calamity' tag in the spirit of gentle fun, his sailing history points to it being more of an accurate reflection of his sheer ineptitude. In another story from the site the quoted his wife and family who all thought he was mad - Mrs Hill, I think we can confirm your suspicions. Personally I blame the RAF's poor aim for all our grief...

Ohh Jeesss. I cant laugh anymore !

Can I ask that everyone in the "spirit" of goodwill - keep all postings above board and within the "limit" ... I can see this one potentially going awry ...

Trout, you are aware that as Calamity, sorry, Stuarthill (or is it God now :shock: ), is no longer a UK citizen or recognises UK law in his new kingdom, he surely no longer conforms to the forum T&C's (item 1).

Maybe you need to tighten up the forum registration.

Call yourself a moderator :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Well Stuart , I think what you are doing is splendid and I'm sorry to see so many of the people who post on shetlink so ready to put you down , I think it goes against the usual shetland spirit of helping each other out and admiring people who do thing that are a little bit extra ordinary.

There was a shetland sailor who went on a reckless voyage and he also only got halfway , also there was a now famous english girl who was knighted for her solo sailing in which she did get around the world .

She is regarded as a british heroine and shetlands own solo sailor is also held in high regard . I have the same admiration for what you did to .

But you must remember that as the rule of the road at sea goes

Rule no.5 :- Every vessel shall AT ALL TIMES maintain a proper lookout by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision.

However there are probably hundreds of lone yachtsmen & women out there now putting themselves at risk but it is there own personnel adventure the same as people who climb everest etc ,its all reckless . And of course the people ready to put there life on the line to rescue them , its all worthy of admiration and not critisism .

Good luck to forvick , I may pop over when you have facilities for sunday teas and homebakes !

cheers.

Anyway good luck to the Captain !

However there are probably hundreds of lone yachtsmen & women out there now putting themselves at risk

I would sincerely hope that we never again see anyone stupid enough to attempt a round the uk trip in a ramshackle self build converted rowing boat with windsurf sail.. complete with water filled foot cooling system...

There was an on-board computer, three different electronic navigation systems as well as paper charts, 3 GPS sets, VHF radio, satellite phone, mobile phone – more equipment that you will find on boats many times its size.

Stuart, how did you charge all those batteries? :twisted:

This amused me - this was printed by the Telegraph, imagine if he's shot down Oscar Charlie :shock:

The Shetland coastguards were not impressed by Mr Hall's grasp of safety procedures.

He had been advised to fire a flare to indicate his position but instead fired three when the rescue helicopter was overhead.

Keith Oliver, a coastguard spokesman, said: "Flares and helicopters are mutually incompatible. We are keeping our fingers crossed that we have seen the last of him."

Well, all I can do is thank Mr. Hill and all the Shetlinkers for the best lunch hour I have spent in a long time. I have not laughed out loud so much .....

Someone has turned tha Papa Stour Oddball magnet on again. :D :D

Compared to buckets o' sharn, and shooting your neighbours dog Mr. Hill is at least playing nicely.

Some people are asking to come and live on Forvik. The whole island is only 2.5 acres and the land plots will be about 1 sqare metre - just so you can say you own a piece of land on the island.

The Crown Dependency of Forvik Island will generate profits for the benefit of its citizens in a number of ways.

I can't see that this is going to benefit any other "citizen" (possibly tax status? complicated?) other than his exellency, considering he's the only person that lives there... in a tent... on his own....

...and IF he sells the 8000 "landowning citizen" plots at the current rate: £120 that makes mister stuart a very rich man, maybe not so stupid after all... :wink: