Stuart Hill (Captain Calamity) Forvik

tlady

Do you support Stuart Hill  

222 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support Stuart Hill

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Don't know?

Thank you Trout for trying to whip the Vultures into line , they seem to take an immense amount of satisfaction when things go wrong for him .

And you can tell from some of these posts that they indicate they would take some satisfaction in seeing greater failure / harm come to him .

not true we would be happy if he stopped his dangerous activities at sea. he can campain just as well from the mainland. if we want to find out what the shetland people want in the way of independace ask them. save the money that hes spending on forvik and get an indepentant survey company in and find out. that way no one needs to be put at risk.

Guest Anonymous

The worst thing to come out of this calamity is that, if Shetland ever decides to campaign for Independence it will be treated as a complete joke by the national and international media.

Can you just imagine the headlines if any serious political attempt were to be made for independence now. :roll:

The worst thing to come out of this calamity is that, if Shetland ever decides to campaign for Independence it will be treated as a complete joke by the national and international media.

Can you just imagine the headlines if any serious political attempt were to be made for independence now. :roll:

Well that's half the problem I'm having with it, most of the people who speak to me about Forvik down here are laughing at the endeavour not because they think it's a crazy idea but because the person fronting it has become an object of ridicule. Like I said before people have trouble differentiating between Stuart "Capt Calamity" and Stuart "founder of Forvik" they are only linked by him and unfortunately his Forvik idea is getting laughed at not because the idea itself might not hold water but because his boat doesn't.

Yes droilker, if you think we lump the issues together and wish harm upon him then you are mistaken, speaking personally anyway.

The effect of his combined irresponsibility and political activity is like that of Eddie the Eagle standing for election as a Labour MP to replace Gordon Brown, with increased benefits, lower fuel taxation and better healthcare and school provision as a remit. Commendable politics accompanied by mad-cap antics. Not a favourable mix.

And if you are seriously defending his maritime activities, tak dee tent and dee punt and head for Sandess, i'm sure he'd be blyde o a helping hand next time he's in difficulties, save the Aith boys the bother. :wink:

he does this because he believes he may be able to bring about a change to how Shetland is governed.

Indeed, this is an entirely different issue and shouldn't be muddied by his nautical skills.

The problem is too many people already cannot seperate the man, his "mission", and his personal talents and aptitudes (or lack thereof).

For all too many "Shetland Independence/Devolution/Udal Law" now = Stuart Hill, and Stuart Hill = an embarrassment.

*If* there's the slightest grain of truth in his allegations concerning Shetland's constitutional status, I'd like to see the truth and what that means for Shetland today pursued and hammered out once and for all. However in the eyes of many the whole thing cannot now be taken seriously, due to the "face" promoting it. Hill is in fact working against his cause now as much as he is working for it by remaining the public "face" of it, to get anywhere with it he needs to withdraw in a background role, and put another more publically acceptable "face" on his "mission" as a public and media focal point.

*sneakily deletes Forvik Gump poster from Shetland Hollywood Movies thread and replaces it with The Hill's Are Wise effort*

Agree totally. If Stuart turns out to be correct on Udal Law/Constitutional Status, his argument will be discredited by his recent and ongoing actions. He's brought the issue to public attention and for that he should be thanked. While his own history shouldn't be a factor in any movement for change that might come to the fore, sadly his past makes him a very easy target to mock and disregard. I'd like to add that I don't particularly dislike the guy for everything he's trying to do, irrespective of whether or not I agree with him, I feel that he's almost going out of his way to polarise the media and as a result of his own stunts, is stifling any semblence of constructive debate. If he stuck to publicising the message rather than the man, he'd probably elicit more sympathy, albeit that he'd probably also appear on fewer t-shirts.

*Reads both own post and entire thread again and re-uploads Forvik Gump poster*

As an extra point, whichever squad picks Stuart Hill as the theme for next year's Up Helly Aa has got a phenomenal amount to work from. I'd quite like to see a squad claim Bells Brae as their own and declare it to be independent from the rest of Up Helly Aa. Obviously while doing this from the relative safety of Posers (Cunningsburgh) rather than having to work out of Bells Brae itself due to transport issues.

And you can tell from some of these posts that they indicate they would take some satisfaction in seeing greater failure / harm come to him .

I for one wouldn't take any satisfaction in seeing any harm come to him, but if it did, it would be entirely of his own making.

More to the point, I'd hate to see any harm coming to the people who volunteer their time, their skills and too often their lives to help people in genuine need. People who persist in putting their own and others lives at risk for nowt more than a publicity stunt should be locked up or sectioned for their own good before they get the chance to test the limits of their own stupidity.

I don't particularly believe in his cause, but respect his right to make his point. What i can't come to terms with is the fact that he expects the people he has just broken all ties with to risk life and limb to pull him out of whatever mire he gets himself into.

I'd like to say the guy's a joke, but he's not, he's dangerous and not just to himself. Next time he tries a stunt, let the forvik emergency services deal with it.

I suspect the word "admire" isn't very accurate, however i am one of those who respects his drive and willingness to actually do something about his beliefs unlike the huge percentage of people who mouth off during teabreaks, at the pub, or indeed on forums like these, but who never actually do anything about it.

However that is in no way an excuse for his irresponsible behaviour and general ignorance of the dangerous situation he is putting himself, and others, in.

I have met Stuart Hill several times and have found him to be a very likeable and friendly person. The fact that he originates from another part of the UK shouldn't have any bearing upon his crusade relating to what he sees as emphasising the rights of other residents of Shetland. Would it all be seen differently, by those apparently mocking him, if he had been born in the islands?

He has lived in Shetland for over 6 years and is much a resident here as anyone else is, I'd say.

I'd like to say the guy's a joke, but he's not, he's dangerous and not just to himself. Next time he tries a stunt, let the forvik emergency services deal with it.

What a great sentement :roll: let all foriegners drown rather than attempt rescue, putting shetland lives at risk by sailing near our shores

How has this now turned into a Shetlanders against “foreigners†debate????

It wouldn’t matter if it was Sinbad the Sailor, Tavish Scott, Ellen MacArthur, Geordie oh da mark or the queen doing whats hes doing, if they kept heading out into dangerous water with an unfit boat people are going to question what the hell they are up to.

What a great sentement :roll: let all foriegners drown rather than attempt rescue, putting shetland lives at risk by sailing near our shores

I think you know that's not what I said. I was speaking about one person who seems to have no plans yet to stop putting his own and others lives at risk for the sake of his own publicity stunt.

I think EM came up with the answer a few posts back. Get an ASBO on him.