Use your Smartcard pts before end of July

Fifi

The Shetland Smartcard scheme is being wound up. No more points are being awarded and you should use your points before the end of the month. There are still 8.5 million points on people's cards so make sure you use them while you can. At a redeemable value of 1p per point, I make that £85,000 worth of points still out there to be used before the end of the month! > There will be a cap on how many can be used on a single transaction but it doesn't say in the article what the cap is. Make sure your friends and family use them!

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/news_07_2008/Four%20weeks%20to%20cash%20Smartcard%20points.htm

I have to ask the question.

Was the Shetland Smartcard Scheme successful or not? Now it is being wound up/down does that mean that it has achieved its purpose or has it failed? How much money was invested into this scheme and has it paid for itself? Has it improved the Shetland Retailers profits or plundered them?

In my case I didn't go out of my way to use the card. I didn't see any significant advantage of shopping locally to gain a few 'points'. From my personal stance (I very seldom shop if I can help it), it seemed like a futile exercise.

I don't know about the background facts and figures to know whether it's been a success over the near decade that it's been running, but the fact that it's lastest that long must say something. There was also the lottery as well, although that didn't seem to be that much of a success.

In my case I didn't go out of my way to use the card.

I used to work in one of the two or three shops who routinely asked customers if they had a Smartcard, as Boots do with their Advantage card. Customers frequently mentioned how most shops didn't ask, so most customers probably didn't remember.. Frequently customers were amazed at how much was on their card. >