CCTV at the Clickimin Broch

markj

The Broch is probably the most undervalued unloved piece of Pictish heritage in the UK.

I'm always astonished at the tourists having to dodge the traffic when they're offloaded from the buses parked on the main road.

There's so much potential there for it to become a decent tourist attraction with parking and a visitor centre.

Seems like a good idea. It's a small area that has suffered trouble for some time. Money well spent I would have thought, especially as those lights at the broch are apparently quite expensive. It really is a brilliant monument and deserves all the protection it can get.

CCTV at the Clickimin Broch?, what next will the council want to squander money on?.

surely the vandals would just go and smash the cameras?

Okay, what do you suggest is done to thwart the vandals instead? Short of electrifying the thing I can't think of an alternative to CCTV.

^^ Bring back a permanent resident squad of wild haired gaudily painted picts armed with assorted razor sharp weaponry, and give them permission to use it liberally on any defacers of "their" property. They'd soon make short shrift of folk knocking the place down, one or two beheadings and the crangs just thrown in the loch would work wonders as a deterrent. :wink:

They might even give me a job as a Pict, I have the hair already, and the painting can be done. :lol:

There used to be a custodian of the Broch?

Mr Peterson from the cottage up Kantersted Road was who we used to report any problems to.

He used to lock it up at night and open it in the morning, and the high fence deterred any vandals.

It should be pretty easy to secure unless the vandals have a boat.

How often do the police patrol around there?, or do they just drive past in their cars twice a night. Historic sites like this do sometimes get forgotten, but this isn't on a hill in the middle of nowhere, it's in the town, it's a disgrace to the Broch Builders.

Education and discipline start at home ,something sadly lacking these days.

CCTV at the Clickimin Broch?, what next will the council want to squander money on?.

surely the vandals would just go and smash the cameras?

Okay, what do you suggest is done to thwart the vandals instead? Short of electrifying the thing I can't think of an alternative to CCTV.

In England, some shopping centres have taken to playing piped Classical music - it is remarkably effective at 'moving on' possible 'undesirables' - they don't want to hang around such an 'incool' area. If the right sort of music was chosen, it might add to the general ambience of the broch.

See :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/6983923.stm

http://classicalmusic.suite101.com/blog.cfm/classical_music_deters_crime

and

http://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-178919.html

^^ I'm surprised it works, most seem to have been sugrically attached to an iPod or mobile phone, making them totally oblivious to other noise, and "communicate" with those around them with sign language already.

Playing classical would make sure a lot of others wouldn't want to go there either though, myself included. As would operatic, choral, orchestral etc....

Hmmm....maybe this means I am one of these possible 'undesirables' of which you speak?!? :wink:

just put up the high fence like there used to be and get a custodian/warden back - end of problem, also give talks to all pupils at bells brae, sound and the anderson and tell them if they are caught hurling stones from the broch into the loch then they will be sent to Forvik to do 30 years hard labour under the supervision of Captain Calamity.

What about one of those whistle things that only young un's can hear.

We can't have those, they're completely discriminatory. IF I invent something that somehow only old people, or middle-aged people could hear then it would be considered outrageous.

also give talks to all pupils at bells brae, sound and the anderson and tell them if they are caught hurling stones from the broch into the loch then they will be sent to Forvik to do 30 years hard labour under the supervision of Captain Calamity.

Genius.