Housing in Shetland

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest posiedon

^^^ They still have to live somewhere!

So the powers that be, need to come up with a solution to their (paedophiles) problem, Rather than have to worry about where to house them.

Chemical castration would be a solution, then the sad bar stewards could live anywhere they like, and not pose a danger to anyone.

I feel like I'm intruding on a very common Forum VS sheepshagger debate, but I thought that I'd voice my opinions on the topics of criminals and society.

I believe that if you chase a former-criminal out of your street/town/country then you are only shooting yourself in the foot with regard to rehabilitation. The worst thing that a former-criminal can experience when he/she comes out of Prison is total rejection from society, because this only makes them more depressed and thus more likely commit a crime or do something stupid.

The worst thing that a former-criminal can experience when he/she comes out of Prison is total rejection from society, because this only makes them more depressed and thus more likely commit a crime or do something stupid.

What leads you to make these conclusions? Rejection by society is only applicable if an individual desires inclusion within society, not everyone does. If being included within society is so important to them, surely, if they had any intelligence whatsoever, they would have avoided behaving in a manner that might risk exclusion from society in the first place, and also realise that when they haven't avoided behaving in such a manner, that exclusion is to be expected. To paraphrase an old Shetland saying in English, "What a man does to himself, is never wrong".

Not sure how being depressed to some degree is supposed to increase someone's liklihood of committing crime, seems to me most crime that reaches a court is driven by euphoria, greed, desperation, revenge, reduced mental ability due to substances taken, boredom etc rather than being depressed. As for doing something stupid, I think for a significant percentage of criminals it could be said that they'd already done that when they did whatever got them labelled as a criminal in the first place, so to again do something stupid it could be argued that it was simply and inherent trait of the individual re-emerging equally as well as it could be argued that it was as a result of depression caused by being rejected by society.

Oh! I hear the do-Gooders say....These people have rights...it would be unfair to put then on an isolated Island..

Pardon me but! what about the rights of the kids they have damaged?

They will do a life sentence,,,having seen first hand the devastation these poeple cause to their victims I know the scars never go away..

The courts have a duty to remove them from society and put then where they can cause no more harm..

It is not up to our councils to house them....These people forfiet the right to be treated with respect the min they start down the road to perversion..

I for one cant understand these lawyers who get up in court and defend them....and whats worse ..as tax payers we foot the bill..

I agree a deserted Island with no access to children is a reasonable way to remove them from danger they pose to children

Sadly peodophiles are not the only ones who harm children ..and the latest case of Baby P...goes to prove that the people with whom some children should be safe from harm are the very ones that cause them such intolerable misery...

To whoever mentioned rehabilitation. There is no chance of rehabilitation when it comes to pedophilia, it dosnt exist they cannot get 'better' from this sickness -fact-. To me it seems bizzare that with health professionals and (hopefully) authorities knowing that, that they let them back into society again. They WILL reoffend .. no doubt about it. A secure jail/hospital for life is the only answer in this instance. Even chemical castration would be a waste of time because the reason they do what they do isnt purely down to sexuality its all to do with 'control'.

Pay people to get sterilized, dont care if they spend the money on drugs etc atleast they wont be having children so in the long term will save society money and effort and save the world as the population is to high. Maybe a cull of them would help as well.

Presumably du wid be excludin dysel fae sterilisation or bein compularily culled??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_sterilization

"Compulsory sterilization programs are government policies which attempt to force people to undergo surgical sterilization. In the first half of the twentieth century, many such programs were instituted in countries around the world, usually as part of eugenics programs intended to prevent the reproduction and multiplication of members of the population considered to be carriers of defective genetic traits.

Forced sterilization has been recognised as crime against humanity if the action is part of a widespread or systematic practice by the Rome Statute Explanatory Memorandum, which defines the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court.[1][2]"

God this is a highly emotive subject. I am totally disgusted by the crimes this man committed, as it is clear we all are. However, it doesn't change the fact that housing HAVE to provide him with somewhere to live. It's the law. And yes, a big part of me thinks that sucks. But it is jus the way it is.

I don't think he should be on bail in the first place. He is obviously still a danger to the community. As someone pointed out, he has a mental illness that has most likely not been treated and almost certainly can never be cured. However, as he did get bail, he has to live somewhere and as it rarely comes up on an island of this size there is NOWHERE appropriate to put him. But I don't think location would really make the children of the community any safer, I dare say a determined paedophile will travel as far as they have to in order to satisfy their desires.

And finally, please remember that housing staff have children too. And be aware that some of their children may well go to the school he's been housed "next door" to. And I am quite sure they wished this wasn't the case.

Housing have to provide him with somewhere to live?. So all any homeless person has to do is commit a crime, be released on bail pending sentence and they will get housed?. That would account for many people waiting years to be offered a council house, flat, bedsit etc.

Now what happens if someone who has been mentioned in the last few postings goes back to court full of contrition and the Sheriff as a gesture of seasonal goodwill (or because the prisons are full) decides on a non custodial sentence?. Will this person or others in the same position get to keep the house or will they be made homeless?.

And before the mods kick in I would like to remind you all that this is a housing topic.

^^ Notwithstanding any reporting error etc in the press, the individual in question here we are led to believe had a house in Lerwick, but left it of his own free will around August , to go abroad against court orders, but returned again now of his own free will as sort sort of "plea bargain". Which all tends to reinforce JustMe's question, were housing obliged to provide him with accomodation, did he not make himself intentionally homeless?

It also poses a supplemental question, if he could affort to travel half way round the world and back again, can he not afford to pay for a room in a local hotel or B&B (if any will have him) for a few weeks while he awaits sentencing?

As someone pointed out, he has a mental illness that has most likely not been treated and almost certainly can never be cured.

This article Support circles help keep streets safe from sex offenders is about a method of supporting paedophiles in the community to stop them from offending. I happened to be in Canada in 1994 when one of the individuals mentioned, Wray Budreo, was released from jail. The outcry on his release was such that it was headline tv news. It caught my notice when Mr Budreo gave a tv interview with a paper bag over head. From his release to his death in 2007 he never reoffended[/url]