Tourism Today in Shetland

Guest perrie-lipper

The Clickimin Broch - not even a car or bus park, tourists have to dodge traffic on the main road to see what is a unique pictish settlement. What about some sort of visitor centre, I'd like to understand more about how these people lived, where the came from and where they went.

I agree with you there. We have an unique attraction and nothing to enhance it. I believe the problem is with Historic Scotland, who have blocked attempts to set up a proper visitor centre. Maybe the campaign should start here.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in Orkney a few years ago, as a 'tourist'. Was very impressed- all the main historical attractions had visitor centres where you get a coffee, buy postcards, souvenirs etc and had Guides.

All the sites were very well maintained - grass cut etc. Lots of leaflets & flyers about the place and other places you might choose to visit.

I felt they really made an effort.

okay, they get more folk visiting with the 'short-crossing', but I still feel we could make more of our assets here.

after having seen the many derelict buildings and also an empty old house with a very good base for restauration... why not repair the buildings traditionally and convert some into a museum or even some sort of romantic self catering accommodation?

It did work on Lewis (thinking about this www.gearrannan.com or the Arnol Black House etc.) so why should it not work in Shetland?

I am not so keen on the typical visitors centres where bus loads of tourists come, buy so-called souvenirs (which sometimes are purely rubbish), leave their litter everywhere and the whole place is more or less ruined because it has lost it's authentic atmosphere. Worst example I have ever seen in Scotland is the Loch Ness visitors centre and I have seen really bad examples in Bavaria (where I live) and Austria ("Ausverkauf der Kultur"... which can probably best be translated with sale of culture).

To be honest: it was just the missing of the "typical" tourist attractions what I liked most when I was up a week ago.

If tourism still is not a very big thing... it might have other reasons.

Most people I came across (at home and whilst travelling) didn't even know where the islands are. Many of my friends who have travelled all over the world and have been to other remote places had no idea where Shetland is. Funny thing: About Orkney and the Inner Hebrides most people have heard... but noone obviously knows the Outer Hebrides and Shetland (so you seem to have something in common :wink: ).

Buy a map of Scotland and you will not even find the islands where they are geographically.

... why not repair the buildings traditionally and convert some into a museum or even some sort of romantic self catering accommodation?

It did work on Lewis (thinking about this www.gearrannan.com or the Arnol Black House etc.) so why should it not work in Shetland?

There is in fact a long-running and successful system for doing exactly that.

For details see the section Camping Böds here:

http://shetlopedia.com/B%C3%B6d

and here:

http://www.camping-bods.com/

The Clickimin Broch ...

I believe the problem is with Historic Scotland,...

That is also my understanding of the situation.

Maybe the campaign should start here.

Good idea.

Earning a good living in Shetland over the last 30-40 years has been relatively easy, and as a result, I think the local tourism industry hasn't seen the development to exploit the massive increase in disposable income that the average family has seen over this same timeframe.

I agree and think that probably explains, in part at least, why you are far more likely to come across small tourist related businesses in Orkney or the Western Isles than you do in Shetland. I do however think that as long as the things that bring folk to Shetland in the first place are so weather or season dependent, there is always going to be a limit to how far tourism can be exploited or how many tourism related jobs can be created, other than on a seasonal or part time basis. And I might be wrong here, but of all of the good ideas out there on what could or should be improved upon, few by themselves are likely to entice folk to want to come to Shetland, particularly in the winter time when we need more visitors the most.

One thing I do think (and I have said so before on this forum) is that we are often more critical about how well tourists are catered for than they are themselves. Admittedly, we only come in contact with a small number of visitors overall but as a tourist accommodation provider, I can honestly say that of the hundred or so groups of folk that we have had over the years, only a handful have commented on things that they think need to be improved upon. They principally come for the birdlife, the wildlife, to walk, to experience the music and the culture or to enjoy some peace and quiet and very rarely leave disappointed even (to our surprise at times) after a week or two of poor weather. They marvel about the ability to come across a beach or a bonny geo or a view that isn't in a guidebook or isn't signposted or doesn't have a path laid to it and often comment on how welcome they have been made to feel at a local pub or event. For many of them, it is the lack of car parks, signboards, cafes, visitor centres or tourist shops at every attraction that they like about the place. Whilst I am not necessarily saying that I agree entirely with them (and am of the opinion myself that there is plenty of room for improvement) as natives we probably take Shetland's attractions for granted a lot of the time.

At the end of the day though, lamenting about the lack or quality of eating places or accommodation or visitor tours or whatever isn't going to bring them about. Public bodies may well have a role to play in providing things like signboards, car parks, paths and visitor centres at their attractions but if we are so convinced that there is such a big untapped market out there, the rest has to come from and be financed by ordinary folk like me and you, just as it is in the places that we cite as doing a much better job at catering for tourists.

And if the weather is poor it's the greyest most miserable hole on the planet. Fancy a week on Yell in a week of rain?. No, me neither.....

I have to say I disagree. When I head to Shetland I know there is a possibility of poor weather, but that's never put me off! (As I contemplate the M1 first thing in the morning, the thought of Yell in the rain seems like heaven!)

Shetland's handicap as a tourist destination is the geography, and nothing else, from my point of view. It is difficult, time consuming and expensive to get to there! If I've only got a few days, NW Scotland, the Western Isles, even Orkney, is realistic. But Shetland isn't, even though it'd be my first preference. Example; - its not quite 1am, so if I set off now I could make the morning ferry from Ullapool and be in Stornaway for about 1pm tommorow afternoon. Or I could head to Aberdeen and get to Lerwick for breakfast a day later. I need to put aside 4 days for travel alone, when you include the return journey. Or half that and lower costs to get to Orkney or the Western Isles. Unfortunately, that's what often wins for me, even though I'd rather come to Shetland :-(

My wife who is English has always complained that there is very little souveniers worth buying when she visits Shetland. Nothing seems to be available that's made locally unless you want a jumper etc. I dont know what she expects and she couldn't tell me either, so no clues there I am sorry to say. Orkney do seem to be better equiped, you can buy Orkney Whisky and Orkney Fish, even down this way. I cant find anything marked Shetland down in Kent! So no promotion there.

Half the maps on the TV dont even show Shetland as part of Britain, even some Scottish maps have it missing. The day's of the box outside Aberdeen seem to be less popular than they used to be?

I find it hard to believe that places close so early even in the summer, I was up for the Hamefarin in June and things seemed to close so early. The museum chucked me and a friend out at 5 PM and this was "Come home to Shetland week".

I too find it very expensive to get on the Island in the first place, Flybe charge the earth, Northlink appear to be good value until you realise that a cabin costs a whole load extra, a car well no point as it rockets the price. Car hire in Shetland is very expensive too, which again doesnt help us nowadays visitors.

I love coming home, if it was cheaper I'd get back a lot more often, I dont care about the weather, I'd never go to Shetland for a sun tan.

I still think its a lovely place no matter what, and I cant wait until January when I can get back up.

At the end of the day though, lamenting about the lack or quality of eating places or accommodation or visitor tours or whatever isn't going to bring them about. Public bodies may well have a role to play in providing things like signboards, car parks, paths and visitor centres at their attractions but if we are so convinced that there is such a big untapped market out there, the rest has to come from and be financed by ordinary folk like me and you, just as it is in the places that we cite as doing a much better job at catering for tourists.

I’ve had two summers now with my modest little venture, a rural craft shop, and am, thankfully, still here. I chose to do it as a minimal risk venture, from home, building my small business slowly and keeping costs down. I decided not to go with grants, using our own capital which I’ve been paying back. (I was accepted for a start-up grant but decided I’d rather go it alone). It’s based at home, in a former doctor’s surgery, so I don’t have massive overheads and I’m always trying to watch costs whilst still providing pleasant surroundings and good service with quality products. I do have costs like everyone else though, such as credit card machine rental, transaction charges, marketing, etc etc. I’ve also run an online business selling Shetland arts & crafts for 2½ years, maintaining the website myself to keep costs down.

It’s a lot of work and, while I’ll never make a fortune out of it, I’m enjoying it and supporting local craftmakers and hopefully encouraging new people, including young people, to get creative and make some income from it. Hopefully it will also be an outlet for my own creations – when I get the time! Incidentally, a friend of mine who’s in retail here and I were talking about how it’s increasingly difficult to get hold of enough traditional knitted goods, especially Fair Isle, as it tends to be older ladies who are doing it. Other well-designed good quality crafts – contemporary or traditional – can also be difficult to come by at times so there are possibilities for creative people and people who are good with their hands! As well as traditional Shetland goods I’d love to get more contemporary quality products – so get creative folks! My best sellers have probably been the Fair Isle bunting and notebooks – novel contemporary attractive and desirable quality products (too many adjectives there!) - well designed and priced and packaged well.

I do agree with the comments that Orkney’s not had the oil money that we’ve had here and thus haven’t been as complacent as us, although they are a lot closer to the mainland and attract lots more visitors than we do. I think lots of people here have been in employment and just haven’t been hungry enough to take a risk and start ventures on the scale that Orkney has done.

My wife who is English has always complained that there is very little souveniers worth buying when she visits Shetland. Nothing seems to be available that's made locally unless you want a jumper etc.

Sorry, I’d have to disagree. While Orkney has been streets ahead of us in terms of tourist provision and crafts, Shetland has steadily been improving its provision over the last few years. Oddrun has pointed out a few examples of successful craft/produce businesses and there are plenty more people making things, either as a business or selling occasionally at small business/hobby level. It is a developing area though, and we still have the potential for further expansion.

Oddrun’s directed you to the Shetlopedia craft pages and you and your wife might like to take a look at the Shetland Arts & Crafts website and my own one to get a flavour of what is on offer - http://www.shetlandartsandcrafts.co.uk/ http://www.designedinshetland.co.uk/

Part of the problem might be knowing where to see and purchase these goods. It’s perhaps a failing that some of us aren’t broadcasting loudly enough that we’re here! Some of the smaller makers/hobbyists might only be showing their goods at occasional hall events, craft fairs or Farmer’s Markets, but there are Shetland designers and craftspeople selling through various outlets, here and outwith Shetland. Some have their own shops or workshops and quite a few sell online too.

If a visitor tends to stick to Lerwick or cruise liner passengers stay in town or get bussed to Scalloway and Jarlshof, they’ll miss my shop and some of the other producers too! My craft shop, Oily Muggie in Hillswick, is one of the very few outlets which feature various kinds of crafts, not just traditional knitwear. I try to include a wide variety of good quality, well designed crafts, gifts and produce, often handmade and often made by people in their own homes here in Shetland as well as a few other carefully chosen crafts & gifts from further afield. An example, typical of my some of my range: various types of Shetland Fudge Company confectionary including Shetland rock; Boannie Isles tablet from Burra; Shetland honey; Unst oatcakes; Bod Ayre seaweed products; Beltain candles from Gulberwick; Burra Bears; Glansin Glass from Unst; Shetland Jewellery; Donna Smith Designs; Andrea Williamson from Whalsay; Shetland Soap Company; Phatsheep; Fair Isle bunting & notebooks; felted scarves, balls, etc; wooden bowls using Shetland wood; Shetland stone jewellery & gifts; Shetland photographic and painted prints; Shetland music; Orkney pottery, etc etc etc…

Some of the things I stock you won’t see in other places in Shetland. My shop opens 7 days a week during peak summer months and open outwith stated times and dates by arrangement. Some makers’ workshops will be open certain times and/or by arrangement.

An example of just some of the places to see local crafts/souvenirs off the top of my head: (not meant to be a complete list, apologies to those not mentioned)

Lerwick

----------

Shetland Museum

Tourist Office

Ninian

North Rock Gallery

Spiders Web

Spinning Wheel

Shetland Fudge Company

Westside Pine

Andersons

Jamiesons

Burra Bears workshop, Burra

Aamos Designs workshop, Scalloway

Neilanell studio, Sandwick

Oily Muggie, Hillswick

Braewick Café, Eshaness

Theres nothing worth seeing in Shetland except the airstrip or the ferry terminal...

....and neither of them are worth a damn either. :wink:

Any place and anything in Shetland is splendid on a fine day, but how many of them do we get. :?

On a day o' sh**e, its all sh**e. UHA is an annual one trick pony that a limited number of folk might be persuaded to come and see, regardless of weather, but that side of it has never been pushed. Just about anything else needs a Plan B as even in the height of summer its 50/50 rain will stop play, or at least make what could have been good, miserable.

You couldn apply the above statment to anywhere in the world

Ghostrider

True^ and GR's sentiment also assumes that people will be totally incapable of having a holiday in bad weather, which I'm sorry to say isn't strictly true. There are, believe it or not, people who come here that appreciate our unique form of climate, winter or summer, and don't 'never again' it even when experiencing it at its mediocre drudgery worst. There are those who actually seek the extremes, so I won't mention them.

And number 12:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/100-things-to-do-before-you-die-912856.html?action=Gallery&ino=12

The pony may have one trick, but people do cross continents to see it.

Rain don't stop play. It may slow down the pace a little. I think folk come for everything but the weather, and if it is good, makes a good holiday brilliant.

I have been up 3 times this year, it rained on 2 days if I recall. March was fantastic, took my bike and rode around, then back home with a didgerydoo strapped to it.

took my bike and rode around, then back home with a didgerydoo strapped to it.

Maybe not what you'd class a typical tourist :D

Agree with the Orkney comments, I've always thought they seemed to have a better integrated tourism business.

Also agree with the problem of the cost of getting to Shetland - and because of this, I'd suggest that the large majority of visitors to Shetland have a clear reason to visit, whether it be relatives, bird watching, diving, etc. There's probably a much smaller percentage that visit just as a more general holiday and maybe not knowing what they'll be doing or visiting on their trip.

Car hire in Shetland is very expensive too, which again doesnt help us nowadays visitors.

I hired a car (Bolts) when I was up and was absolutely content with the price. And it was a rather new car which needed not much fuel. To bring my own car would have been far more expensive.

Of course hiring a car in Shetland is more expensive than to hire one on the Western Isles, but there you might get an old van whose last passengers were sheep... usually you find a rusty bin at the very end of the airport car park with papers and keys in the car.