Tourism Today in Shetland

Guest perrie-lipper

Are there not the Historical Walking trips around the lanes of Lerwick with Elma and Douglas Sinclair- tales of smuggling etc. Buses meet the ships and take anyone who wants on a run around the Mainland. Also small private hirers do tours for those who want a local history info trip with local knowledge.

Buses go to Scalloway to the Castle and Museum there and take them to knitwear shops. Some people just like to walk around Lerwick taking photographs and absorbing the local colour!!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a visitor from Germany who travels 2 times a year to Shetland I can agree that the lack of public transport for those visitors who cannot drive a car is a big problem.

But the rest: I do not need big museums or other "artificial" attractions, the nature Shetland has to offer (for me the best is the view from the Eshaness Lighthouse) is well enough.

And if Shetland does not need urgently many bad payd jobs in the tourism infrastructure: let it be like it is. Too many cheap ways to travel to Shetland and too many tourists will lead to a "Mallorca in the North" ...

Girzie, what do cruise ship passengers do on a Sunday??

I can't see the "Costa del Nord" happening any time soon :lol:

The Shetland wildlife, scenery and get away from it all feel is what most tourists come here to see and enjoy.

Viking Energy would have you believe otherwise.

Mega industrial wind farm = far far fewer visitors.

I had the misfortune to do a Caribbean cruise on Butlins Afloat; sorry, Ocean Village. Now don't get me wrong, nowt wrong with the Caribbean but couldn't wait to get off the chav prison at every opportunity.

Most cruise ships offer (at extortionate prices I might add) trips away from the harbour town where they dock. I can't see why the cruise ships visiting Shetland would be any different.

For example, you could do a 1/2 day trip when the ship docked at Isla Margarita, Venezuela for the grand sum of US$60 each. This included visiting an old fort, churches, a boat ride through some waters (mangrove? forgotten the name) and a visit to the capital for 30 minutes shopping. You also got transported in a coach like sardines and had to wear a badge with your number on it.

This caused great amusement to our guide:

"Heh, heh, heh, they are like sheep. No, they are like on, how you say, your programme, the Prisoner."

We, on the other hand, had gone on Trip Advisor, booked a jeep with driver who took us wherever we wanted. We had huge homemade margaritas, fresh hot bread with melted cheese in for brekkie, took in all the sights (and were able to stay longer than those paying for the trip courtesy of Ocean Village) and had an absolute blast for the WHOLE day for the grand sum of US$99 for up to four people - a lot more favourable than US$60 per person for half a day with OV.

It would be interesting to see what the cruise liners charge for a day trip around Shetland.

I have a theory that Shetland doesn't actually want a tourist industry because when they get the windmills in, they can say they didn't destroy a tourist industry because there isn't really one, compared with somewhere similar, like Orkney which has put alot of money into theirs.

Tourism is potentialy a massive industry up here. There are hundreds of reasons a tourist might want to come here, but the natural beauty of the isles surely comes first. My sister in law perfectly summed up the reason we are not over run by tourists in one simple statement - "Its cheaper to have two weeks in Spain than one week in Shetland."

Tourism is potentialy a massive industry up here. There are hundreds of reasons a tourist might want to come here, but the natural beauty of the isles surely comes first. My sister in law perfectly summed up the reason we are not over run by tourists in one simple statement - "Its cheaper to have two weeks in Spain than one week in Shetland."

Same could be said for anywhere in Scotland or the UK.

^^^^ yes, but the sun comes out in Spain 8)

the last two summers do challenge that view. maybe not has hot as the Costa's but it does me fine.

now to sort out the winter. maybe an adventure holiday for those from more southern aspects come to Shetland and get blown away.

The daughter met a nurse off the black whatever it was yesterday. she lives in Scotland and took a cruise around Scotland now that is love for your own country. i bet the outside bits were under used. now there was a nice add for an around the world cruise for about 37000 for the best room but the wife said no.