Tourism Today in Shetland

Guest perrie-lipper

Up Helly Aa ... Tourists come from all over to see it, but when the arrive 'we' (as in locals) make it near impossible for visitors to join in with many of the events as you need to know a host or hostess to get tickets for a hall.

I think you are missing the essential nature of the festival. UHA is not intended to be a tourist orientated event. The fact that tourism promotion bodies have chosen recently to use it as a lure is perhaps misguided given that it simply can not accomodate more people. Tourists tend to feel that destinations and events are always seeking to increase numbers. In the case of UHA that is not the case. It is always oversubscribed, so naively encouraging people to turn up is unfortunate.

I read the posting above with interest; i then read the posting below :

We have no problem filling the house between May and August and in some weeks in the height of summer could do so two or three times over, so if that is anything to go by, visitors appear to have no issue paying what we are asking for. On the other hand (and despite dropping our rates significantly) we are pretty much empty for at least six months a year over the winter, save for the odd weekend booking here and there. That indicates to me that the rates that we charge at least appears not to be a determinant in when and whether folk decide to come.

I'd love to take my family up to Shetland in January for UHA. It is a long way to go (we live in Shropshire), it would cost a lot and it is a cold time of the year . . . . . . . but we'd still like to go.

Because it takes so long to get to Shetland, it ain't really 'worth' going for fewer than 7 days; that's going to help some accommodation provider, during a quiet time of the year and local businesses would gain from our spending money - surely, in this economic climate, they can't afford to turn it down ?

With a little thought and planning, the UHA could & should be expanded and visitors positively encouraged to attend ? If a visitor were to have a great time in Shetland during UHA, surely they'd be more likely to visit again in the Summer ? Mind you, as 'Shetlander' has mentioned, getting accommodation in the Summer can be very difficult.

I'd love to visit UHA - the largest fire festival in Europe, but it appears that visitors aren't welcome; but if we come in the Summer, we might not be able to find accommodation.

EM states that "UHA is not intended to be a tourist orientated event" - what a missed opportunity!!! The UHA is a potential 'cash cow' for Shetland. People should be focussing on what could be achieved, rather than what can't be achieved.

Imagine a UHA designed with tourists in mind; 'Shetlander' would be (as in the Summer) turning people away, street vendors could be selling their wares - suitable catering and craft facilities could do very well. If I were to come to the UHA with my family, my sons would be very keen for me to buy them a Viking burger; that'd be just before/after they'd persuaded me to buy them their own complete Viking outfits - axe, fake beard and especially a Viking helmet. Of course, all these items (food/costumes/t-shirts/mementos, model longboats etc., etc.) would be made by the locals - who would make the most of this opportunity to 'cash in' during a very quiet time of the year.

UHA - the largest Fire Festival in Europe, but visitors are not encouraged. Am I the only one thinking that this is a missed opportunity ?

Oh yes, are visitors encouraged at any of the other UHA's ?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

street vendors in january :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry lastpubrunner but the thought of market stalls in shetland in january is highly ammusing.

What's so amusing about that ? After all the people are there anyway; standing around in the cold - for quite some time. A large fairly 'static' crowd = a profit opportunity. A crowd that could be made considerably larger by an influx of visitors.

I wonder if your outlook is typical of Shetland 'entrepreneurial spirit' ?

The Missus, who's a bloody know-all, reckons it rains 261 days a year here in Shetland.

To avoid getting a skelped butt by her, I quietly maintain it rains 301 days a year, but either way, the massive influx of Tourist Beards, wearing their Berghaus/North Face anoraks and Broon Boots don't seem to be detered by this phenomenon of nature.

Oh and the Wind - niver spik.

But we could easily double the current visitors to the islands.

What does affect tourism very badly, are the astronomical costs in getting to here and once they are here, the outright over-the-top pricing by the B&B's and the other hospitality providors.

BY the way, someone wrote in Shetlink that UHA is for the locals only.

What a load of sprootle, it's for all to see this fantastic spectacle and to take part in.

Sorry lastpubrunner - you seemed to have got my wording a little bit mixed up.

The above is what I actually wrote:

Apologies to all for the repeat. :)

Shetlander, by what you say, you do appear to have a well-run and fair B&B. :D for you..

The news today about the Lonely Planet listing Shetland at no. 6 has left me groaning.

I'm sorry, but Shetland is a cold, wet depressing place for 8 months of the year and this "summer" was a disaster weather-wise.

On top of this 90% of our houses are just the same as the weather i.e bland, grey and lifeless.

Lastpubrunner, as much as I despair at Up-Helly-Aa in terms of "celebrating" Shetland's norse heritage much of the appeal for tourists who do come is that, you could say, they're getting to see a private "party" - allbeit a very spectacular one!.

You're certainly not unwelcome but be warned most hotel beds and b&b beds are full so book well in advance.

:)

I'm sorry, but Shetland is a cold, wet depressing place for 8 months of the year and this "summer" was a disaster weather-wise.

:)

I know what I'm getting when I go to Shetland; yes, the weather (frequently) may be poor.

But everyday, as I trundle along the motorway, I see Shetland as a 'counter-balance' - somewhere to 'unwind'. An antidote to the stresses of living in an overpopulated & overworked environment.

Guest Anonymous
What's so amusing about that ? After all the people are there anyway; standing around in the cold - for quite some time. A large fairly 'static' crowd = a profit opportunity. A crowd that could be made considerably larger by an influx of visitors.

1 it is very unussual for anything to be static in january, more chance of your market stall disapeering over bressay than anything else.

2 where will this massive influx of tourists stay as hotel rooms and self catering pretty much booked up by returning expats and tv crews.

3 the viking costumes you mention you would be willing to buy for your boys just how much would you be willing to pay for them as the localy made costume for the squads cost hundreds of pounds often more, and localy made replicas would be not much different in price.

1 it is very unussual for anything to be static in january, more chance of your market stall disapeering over bressay than anything else.

2 where will this massive influx of tourists stay as hotel rooms and self catering pretty much booked up by returning expats and tv crews.

3 the viking costumes you mention you would be willing to buy for your boys just how much would you be willing to pay for them as the localy made costume for the squads cost hundreds of pounds often more, and localy made replicas would be not much different in price.

Yes, you're probably right.

Tourism - a mugs game. Characterised by low skills, low wages and seasonal employment - what a vision.

I always remember walking past a largish motor home ('camper' wouldn't do it justice) neatly filling a standing-off place on the road to Burrafirth a few years back.

The occupant was standing in the window making his breakfast - I couldn't help noticing that he was pouring Sainsbury's milk onto his bran flakes. Sainsbury's! He didn't even buy his milk in Shetland! He was parked on the public road (or slightly off it) and if he had any sense, even the diesel in his tank wouldn't have been from the place.

I think I can reasonably assume he was en route to Hermaness - cost of entry, nil - to park his land-whale in a publicly subsidised carpark, stroll over the tax payers board walks then return to his road going gin palace for a meal of Waitrose's microwave lamb bhuna and a glass of something Californian. And good luck to him too.

The point is, other than his fares, what did he spend? A few trinkets perhaps and the odd pub meal. Not much to build an economy on. And when you factor in the cost of subsisdised inter island ferry fares, what's left? The Sella Ness boys used to reckon it cost the exchequer about 7 quid for each passenger on the ferry - probably more now - so you'd have to be spending a tenner to make a trip to Yell, for example, worthwhile.

We can talk about the quality of the experience, the truth is, the best of the experience is to be had for free - half an hour strolling around the banks is worth a fortnight perusing the knick-knack shops on commercial street. no matter how twee they become.

Bed nights is all that counts as far as tourism goes and if they aren't spending more than their fare, we're on a losing ticket.

Rant over.

The news today about the Lonely Planet listing Shetland at no. 6 has left me groaning.

On top of this 90% of our houses are just the same as the weather i.e bland, grey and lifeless.

What leaves me groaning is that something that praises the place as a visitor destination should be met with such negativity and cynicism that sadly seem to be the norm on this forum nowadays. No doot if the publicity had been less than positive, you would have been happy to proclaim that you were right about how poorly tourists rate their experience of Shetland.

In any case, I would have thought that in the context of this particular topic at least, it's what visitors and prospective visitors think that matters most - thank goodness that we have folk like lastpubrunner, shetlandpeat and scraplet who as outsiders are able to put a bit more perspective on the contention that bad weather always makes for a bad holiday.

There are plenty of other places on the planet where the sun shines more than it does in Shetland. If it's as dreary and depressing as you make out, maybe it's time you departed for pastures new, leaving it to the locals and visitors who appreciate it for what it is.

What leaves me groaning is that something that praises the place as a visitor destination should be met with such negativity and cynicism that sadly seem to be the norm on this forum nowadays. No doot if the publicity had been less than positive, you would have been happy to proclaim that you were right about how poorly tourists rate their experience of Shetland.

In any case, I would have thought that in the context of this particular topic at least, it's what visitors and prospective visitors think that matters most - thank goodness that we have folk like lastpubrunner, shetlandpeat and scraplet who as outsiders are able to put a bit more perspective on the contention that bad weather always makes for a bad holiday.

There are plenty of other places on the planet where the sun shines more than it does in Shetland. If it's as dreary and depressing as you make out, maybe it's time you departed for pastures new, leaving it to the locals and visitors who appreciate it for what it is.

I totally agree with your (excellent) posting.

Sadly, too many of the 'doom & gloom' merchants haven't yet realised (if they ever will) that it is what visitors want that is important, not what they want.

It is all very well putting a posting that someone in a campervan was using milk from Sainsbury's; but everytime I'm in Shetland, I try to buy local produce and it is very difficult to find. Ditto, the lack of decent souvenirs etc. Yes, I have bought from craft shops; yes, I've actually bought original artwork from a member of the VeerNorth group. I've tried my utmost to support local businesses - I'm getting 'hitched' next year . . . . . . .in Shetland, our rings will be from Shetland jewellery. You get the idea - I'm pretty 'obsessed' with Shetland. Locals may find that hard to understand, but don't question it, just provide me with plenty of opportunities to spend my money !

About 20 miles from where I live is Llangollen, a very small Welsh town - like many others in Wales. It is not close to major cities or airports. It does not have much in the way of accommodation. Around the time of WWII, someone decided to start up an Eisteddfod; no doubt there were many naysayers who gave seemingly 'good' reasons why it couldn't be done.

"Who's going to come to our tiny town in the middle of nowhere" etc., etc.

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llangollen_International_Musical_Eisteddfod

But people did come, and they still do; from all over the World & in their thousands. Needless to say, the town does 'very well' out of it. The local businesses do very well by selling things such as jars of honey, tea towels, Welsh Love Spoons etc., etc. Many of the locals sell accommodation in their homes; somehow, room is found for all the visitors.

An event that I take part in most years is this :

http://www.green-events.co.uk/eventinfo.php?eventdetails=32

Read how it started out; it is now a major event. On the back of it, (showing entrepreneurial spirit) the town also developed these other 'crazy' events :

http://www.green-events.co.uk/events.php

On the face of it, I'm sure that many locals stated "No-one's going to come to the middle of Wales to do Bog Snorkelling". But they do !

They don't question why people come - they just happily take the money - the series of events organised in Llanwrtyd Wells by Green Events, makes a significant difference to the local economy.

If they can do it - why can't Shetland ?

I once did the Tough Guy race; it is a crazy race, that involves 'running' in sub-zero temperatures - frequently through water which contains massive chunks of thick ice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tough_Guy_Competition

There's no 'logic' to it, I'm not going to do a good time 'cos it ain't a fast course; it's not even scenic . . . . . . . but it is tough. And every year, a massive numbers of runners do it - because it is a challenge.

Non-runners would never understand why anyone would want to do it, as do many runners :D , but there are enough people are out there who do want to do it.

At the outset, to many people; all of the events I've mentioned would seem candidates for failure, but they've survived.

The UHA is already the biggest Fire Festival in Europe; I'm sure that someone or some group with a bit of creative thinking could develop it further - to the advantage of all. For example, would it not be possible to have a UHA (could have a trial run with one of the smaller UHA's) where visitors are given the chance to participate - for a fee. I'm sure that rich Londoners would be happy to pay a fair bit to take part in a Viking procession, afterwhich they'd have a few drams with the locals.

Shetlander had it right - it's what visitors and prospective visitors think that counts

There's a saying . . . . . . .

'If you do what you've always done, you always get what you've always got'.

and a glass of something Californian.

What a negative assumption !

I always buy the excellent brews from the Valhalla brewery - and take a few extra home !

And when you factor in the cost of subsisdised inter island ferry fares, what's left? The Sella Ness boys used to reckon it cost the exchequer about 7 quid for each passenger on the ferry - probably more now - so you'd have to be spending a tenner to make a trip to Yell, for example, worthwhile.

Are you saying that it would be better if the ferry was empty ???

Bed nights is all that counts as far as tourism goes and if they aren't spending more than their fare, we're on a losing ticket.

I think that 'bed nights' could amount to a significant amount.

and if they aren't spending more than their fare, we're on a losing ticket.

If you were to come with children to Shetland, despite the fact that there are no fairground rides or amusement arcades (thank goodness), you'd still find that the money seems to evaporate from your pockets.

Guest Anonymous
About 20 miles from where I live is Llangollen, a very small Welsh town - like many others in Wales. It is not close to major cities or airports. It does not have much in the way of accommodation. Around the time of WWII, someone decided to start up an Eisteddfod; no doubt there were many naysayers who gave seemingly 'good' reasons why it couldn't be done.

"Who's going to come to our tiny town in the middle of nowhere" etc., etc.

lets take a party of 5 adventurous souls from newcastle as our example as it is about as far away from llangollen as lerwick

cost of getting to llangollen and back again 2 tanks of fuel for car £140 split 5 ways £28 each

cost of getting to shetland 2 tanks of fuel for car £140 ferry fares £424.40 food on boat £15each works out at £130 each and that is the cheapest option there is in january it goes up to 929.80 for the ferry in july with a berth in shared cabin taking the cost to £230 each a fair differance in price would you not agree so that is a grand that our adventourous souls have to spend in llangollen that they do not have to spend in lerwick. You need to be pretty obsessed with shetland to shell out that kind of money just to get here and not everyone is as obsessed as you.

congrats on the wedding by the way hope it goes well and you and your wife continue to spend a great deal of cash in shetland for many years to come.

And what about alll the people who spent a fortune on a holiday to Shetland but who left feeling bitterly disappointed and mis-led?.

What saddens me is that most Shetlanders are like yourself and can't see how run-down and dour many parts of Shetland are and how over-rated it is.

Just because Shetland gets listed at no.6 by Lonely Planet doesn't mean they're right.

Let's do a little bit of tourist guilding. "Straight ahead ladies and gentlemen we have the beautiful Bargain centre and as you can see the entire gable end is an abortion of bare block". "On your left ladies and gentlemen is the unique housing scheme of Sandveien which believe it or not was modelled on a prison". "Ladies and gentlemen we're now entering the village of Walls which as you can see has many beautiful and picturesque grey houses".

Leave Shetland?. I won't be able to help change things for the better if I leave Shetland BUT sometimes I'm so depressed by the thoughtlessness of many Shetlanders I wonder why I bother.....

and a glass of something Californian.

What a negative assumption !

I always buy the excellent brews from the Valhalla brewery - and take a few extra home !

Well, true I suppose - but I'm pretty sure this was in the days before Sonny started brewing. Good on him if he did enjoy a few White Weemin though.

And when you factor in the cost of subsisdised inter island ferry fares, what's left? The Sella Ness boys used to reckon it cost the exchequer about 7 quid for each passenger on the ferry - probably more now - so you'd have to be spending a tenner to make a trip to Yell, for example, worthwhile.

Are you saying that it would be better if the ferry was empty ???

No I'm not - merely pointing out that, obviously rather clumsily, that even fare paying passengers aren't all that much of an economic boon. You're right though, at least they keep the usage figures up.

I think that 'bed nights' could amount to a significant amount.

It could - but unless you're going to build Euro Disney in Eshaness, its about the only real money that comes into the isles from tourism. My point is that camper vans and tents are effectively useless as an income generator.

and if they aren't spending more than their fare, we're on a losing ticket.

If you were to come with children to Shetland, despite the fact that there are no fairground rides or amusement arcades (thank goodness), you'd still find that the money seems to evaporate from your pockets.

But chances are you wouldn't - its perfectly kid friendly but the typical Shetland Tourist is a Twitcher who prefers to roam the moors alone. I practically grew up in a country B&B and I can count on the fingers of one hand while wearing mittens tha amont of bairns who stayed.