A culture of Apathy

justlookin

What can be done to remove the culture of apathy from shetland (The UK preferably but start small)? How can the people not see all the corruption, lies, blatant lies, pointless topics of debate which seem to set everyone on a one way crussade which at the end of it all, what have they achieved?...Mareel, New Anderson, Windmills.. a bl00dy tunnel.

"oooh..what can we waste all this money on?"

This place has gone from bad to worse. Is it any wonder all the youth leave shetland. The youth see this, know what stubbern people the majority of the older generations are, and know as i know. We're screwed.

^^ The minority of the older generations see it too, and a few of us are doing our best to plan our escapes....some have already made it out. :wink:

To be fair, much of what has screwed and is screwing Shetland has originated in Brussels, and the UK powers that be have assisted by willingly kneeling down and taking it from behind, before imposing it on the rest of us with an iron fist.

Without fishing and crofting/farming Shetland has nothing that is universally sustainable long term, and with that backbone gone, so has the backbone of the place. EU legislation took that backbone, and now the local powers that be are fiddling while the rest burns.

I have been here just one year and very quicly realised that "NO Matter " what you try to do to the " Council" either drag their heels or just plain ignore you in the hope it goes away....

I think folks just get fed up trying and eventually give up thus giving the "Council " the ways and means to waste money on things that are not so inportant as keeping the younger generation here and whats more wanting to be here.....

This is a wonderful place to be living in..and we here at Firth put up with the blocked sewage drains and the rapidly crumbling houses because we want to live here ..and YES most folk have given up fighting their corner because the " Council " dont care..and If it is the same all over the Island you can see why young folks want to leave however having lived an island life in other places I have found that most of the folks that left these places when they were young, spent most of their later life striving to get back.....

The biggest decision that will have to take place up here, will be the one on the monstrous windfarm, something that will drastically change the face and culture of these islands for ever.

If Apathy continues to dominate on this subject, it will be too late, and with no turning back , Shetland may as well sink into the Abyss, and i know Arabia Terra will say this is what will happen if we don't build it due to sea level rises. I came to Shetland not for the oil money, or watching an irresponsible council play roulette with the CT, but to live in a clean , safe enviroment for my kids to grow up in, and to experience a culture and natural landscape second to none.

People must realise everybody living here will be seriously affected by this development, and Apathy must not play a part in this matter.

Simply stop asking the council, or others, to do things, and get on with doing them ourselves.

I'd happily stop asking the council to fix the things it is their legal duty to fix, if just once they gits would show up and do something.

I've spent a small fortune getting the dump they moved us into livable and if it wasn't for the ever increasing rents they charge for sausage all service, I'd pay to do the rest myself rather than rely on their tradesmen who are forced to work with impossible deadlines and sub contracted cowboys.

What can be done to remove the culture of apathy from shetland (The UK preferably but start small)?

...what have they achieved?...Mareel, New Anderson, Windmills.. a bl00dy tunnel.

"oooh..what can we waste all this money on?"

This place has gone from bad to worse. Is it any wonder all the youth leave shetland.

I don't think you can remove apathy from anywhere and least of all Shetland because the people here are inherently tolerant and easy going. We put up with whatever we are given and don't publicly complain often - it's just in our nature. People of a more 'fragile' temperment don't live here, they won't accept silly things like the weather or the lack of shops...

So where does that leave us? In a position where rarely anything is ever achieved.

I don't think we should keep ALL the oil money locked away for the future. We're not saving for some kind of collective retirement, we should allow the council to spend it on whatever the majority of the population wants it to be spent on.

Services should be centrally funded and should remain so, not propped up by oil money because that very obviously won't work well in the long term. But if there is a need for social housing - build some houses. If the populous wants a cinema - build one. If the high school is old and crumbling - replace it.

It's not rocket science. These projects will either be fiancially viable or they won't. If they are, then there is no decision to be made.

The council just needs to actively persue the population and actually ask what needs done, rather than sitting around plotting ways to build themselves a legacy from their own individual agendas.

• 3 weeks later...