Drivers so bad they provoke road rage!

...worse to send somebody else 30 years early

If you're soooo caring towards other road users presumably you've changed your mind about not sending road salt down south? There are people still slipping around mainland Scotland, getting injured and running the risk of death on icy roads. But I guess since you won't be driving those roads so they don't matter. Where's next? Do you drive in Unst, shall we stop sending salt to Unst? :roll: (I wish there was a sarcasm font I could use... I'm in that kinda mood today)

This whole thread on road rage seems to have become a p***ing contest regarding who thinks they're the safest driver. And it's giving me forum-rage. :evil: So much so that I'm going to add my theory.

Consideration for other road users is the issue. If you are driving too fast or too slow, failing to indicate your manoeuvers prior to acting, distracting (bullying) people by tailgating or braking unnecessarily for kinks in the road or whatever, you are likely to be involved in some kind of situation - sooner or later.

Presumably the safest thing for everyone on the road to do is - be predictable.

It's only a theory and I don't put it into practice all day, everyday but it's a nice idea.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeh, predictable is surely driving aabody can live wi. No that its for me to say where saat goes,but, i think central scotlands salt shortage is a pity , but no , dont give them whats here. Damn sure that would be a one way flow, not that am going to argue because that is my firm opinion n i wont be shifting

Nobody can "be predictable" to everybody, this thread proves that. Some appreciate slower drivers as careful, others think they are a pest.

Surely, as far as driving goes, "be prepared" is the motto to follow.

One thing I have to mention, as nobody has yet been able to answer this - what is the point of the whole "rage" thing?

I've never been able to understand the logic behind getting mad/annoyed/frustrated etc, it never seems to serve any purpose other than getting the person concerned upset and behaving irrationally for no reason. The thought that people like that are on the roads around us is definitely far more worrying than those driving slow, or indeed fast for that matter!

I recently helped a friend get through her driving test and she came up with the conclusion that all padestrians and drivers are drunk ( hypothetically i should add ) and tbh i think i have started to feel the same give everyone as wide a birth as you safely can and you should be ok.

One reason, as much as i have always wanted to own and ride a motor bike but wont is you maybe the best driver out there but you can never account for the other road users.

Forgive me folks but just read this thread for the first time in ages so apologies if I have speed-read without taking the due care and attention but ...

... IMHO H, you are wrong - it DOES matter if someone is doing 40mph when the road limit is 60mph. Let me attempt to explain why.

I took my driving test in London when I was in my mid twenties. A couple of years later, I took my motorcycle tests in Chelmsford. Now in London, you're blooming lucky to get to 25mph let alone 40mph in most places (even in a 40mph limit) - the M25 don't count.

Ah, learning to ride a motorbike on a 5 day course with CSM in the winter - the joys of doing it on a Honda 125. I distinctly remember doing an extremely naff gear change and toodling along the dual carriageway outside of Chelmsford at 45mph only to have screamed at me by the instructor over the radio to speed up. Why? Because as a motorbike, you are deemed as a faster mode of transport and unless you are driving in weather/road conditions that dictate otherwise, you should be doing 60mph (or just under, allowing for speedometer error). I remember this huge lorry looming in me mirrors and thinking, oooh, I'm a goner.

Years went by and hardly drove then I moved up here last year. I booked a couple of refresher lessons. Within 30 seconds, I'm out of a 30mph zone and into a 60mph. Oh heck. Now bear in mind that apart from motorway driving and visiting relatives in Lincolnshire, I was more than a tad rusty at driving on roads with hardly any traffic. Ah, but at least I know what to do at a roundabout ...

... So what does driving instructor say? Come on, bit more revs, bit more gas, this is a 60mph road. I was doing approximately 50mph. Again, just like the motorcycle driving instructor, he explained that you are expected to drive in accordance with road conditions, etc. Granted, you ain't gonna do 60mph if you've just got in your motor and have to go up a hill but unless it blowing a gale, snow storm, fog, debris on road, hailstorm, raining cats n dogs, as far as I'm aware, you shouldn't be toodling along at 20mph, 30mph, 40mph.

And yes, you would fail your test if you were doing 40mph in a 60 with no adverse factors dictating otherwise.

I've just phoned my cousin who, along with being a HGV Driver also holds advanced driving qualifications. He has also trained police drivers. I asked him if I was correct in my interpretation and he said I was.

I'm not professing to be the world's best driver and it would be nice to see more consideration on the roads but I have to say, after driving in London, driving in Shetland is absolutely blardy marvellous!

Yep driving here can be marvelous but in my recent experience being blinded and tailed for a few miles isn't. I for one will continue to drive at the speeds I am comfortable with which is mostly 50mph. I have driven for over 20 years and touch wood have not had an accident. Oh I shouldn't have said that oot loud :shock:

^^Ah yes, the "let us drive with full headlights brigade" - I know where you are coming from there.

btw, I know that the Highway Code states that the maximum speed limit shouldn't be used as a target but understand the interpretation regarding driving at 60mph in such a limit comes under the consideration of other road users' bit.

like hellsbells i'll be sticking to about 50, 60 on a fine bright day maybe ...

Hope you got a pair of decent sunglasses because dunno about your car, but those flappy things just don't block out the sun in certain places! Perhaps someone can explain why the sun ALWAYS blinds ya, and why car manufacturers haven't come up with a solution as to the bit of the top of your windscreen where your mirror is between the two flappy things? :wink:

This thread is locked for a period of time.

What utter dirt over the last two pages that I've now just cut off from the end. Squabbling like small children! Makes for very poor reading for everyone!

[edit on 17th Jan]

Speeding motorists driven to it by bullying tailgaters

[...] Many motorists exceed speed limits because they have been "tailgated" by more aggressive, law-breaking drivers close to their rear bumper, according to new research.

Instead of slowing, bullied drivers react to the intimidation by putting their foot down, even if it means breaking the law themselves.

Road safety experts said the research underlined the importance of drivers resisting the temptation to tailgate other motorists. The practice is estimated to be the cause of 7 per cent of UK road traffic accidents.

None of us are perfect drivers but perhaps we can all improve our driving skills by simply helping each other out. Its maybe just me but i seem to spend most off my time when driving in the town waiting at junctions. Like wise when waiting to pull into a junction on the opposite side of the road no one seems to let you in. This can be very frustrating as to can getting stuck behind someone on a main road travelling well below the legal speed limit. We should all drive at a speed where we individually feel comfortable to suit road conditions, but should also be aware off how many vehicles are behind us. Then if save to do so realise that people behind you are more comfortable travelling faster then you, pull over and let them past. Im sure we've all made folk wait at junctions and let queues build up behind us but sometimes we've just got to remember how we all curse and swear when we get stuck. So hopefully if we all start letting people out and past maybe someday they will do use a favour in return and keep Shetland moving.

(*** Mod - merged ***)

• 1 year later...

This is to the person driving the Silver Ford Fiesta through Tingwall heading west ower tonight at 6 O'clock. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE. Think yourself a very lucky person.

When I was indicating right and braking at the top of Wormadale to turn onto a private road to feed sheep, with my 8yr old daughter, you idiotically overtook me. If it wasn't for me doing the obvious looking in my mirror and braking I don't think you would of made it to where ever you where going.

Next time someone is indicating right remember YOU DON'T OVERTAKE THEM!!!!! :x

(*** Mod edit - merged ***)