Drivers so bad they provoke road rage!

For you to tell me that I was too close to the car in front, when I know for a fact that I was not, is frankly ridiculous.

Actually, what I think is ridiculous is that people are arguing over a scenario which might or might not have happened, perhaps exactly as you describe, perhaps quite different. Who knows? Not me anyway.

The point Inky is trying to make is that, had you hit the car in front, then you (definitely) would have been responsible because you were driving too closely. Since you didn't hit them, then you were obviously far enough back. No problem.

The important thing here is that should a driver need, for whatever reason, to make an emergency stop (rabbit, child, stroke, etc) then they are going to have to rely on the drivers behind to be at a safe distance.

Claiming that someone is in the wrong because they made an emergency stop is flawed. You may argue that the stop, in this case, was unnecessary but that doesn't absolve one of the responsibility from maintaining a safe distance. If you had collided, the law is quite clear on this point, I believe.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha, was it you? :roll:

As I have said, I wasn't expecting it, as I could see that the road was clear!

If I had been that close then I would have gone past - as the road was clear!

I was indeed paying attention. Had I not reacted then there could well have been a collision.

Also, I think you have over-reacted to my original use of the word "nearly".

You have clearly conjured up an image in your head of my car stopping milimeters away from theirs. Perhaps that is my fault, what I should have said was that as a result of this persons unreasonable braking, it could have been possible that an acciedent may have occured, however I was far enough away and reacted well enough to avoid such a situation and stopped a safe distance behind said nature lover.

You have clearly conjured up an image in your head of my car stopping milimeters away from theirs. Perhaps that is my fault, what I should have said was that as a result of this persons unreasonable braking, it could have been possible that an acciedent may have occured, however I was far enough away and reacted well enough to avoid such a situation and stopped a safe distance behind said nature lover.

So what are you complaining about, then ? The fact you got delayed by a few seconds ?

Ha ha, was it you? :roll:

As I have said, I wasn't expecting it, as I could see that the road was clear!

If I had been that close then I would have gone past - as the road was clear!

I was indeed paying attention. Had I not reacted then there could well have been a collision.

Also, I think you have over-reacted to my original use of the word "nearly".

so you slamed on your brakes. who knows a passing bunny could have run into you.

So what are you complaining about, then ? The fact you got delayed by a few seconds ?

No, my point was that I felt the driver in front could have caused an acciedent, all for the sake of a rabbit.

Look, this has gone too far, for too long, can't be bothered anymore. You are clearly looking for an arguement, go find it somewhere else!

Cheers

What you're basically saying is that, as you were driving a safe distance behind someone, they stopped suddenly. You did too. Nobody was hurt and no damage caused. They might not have 'needed' to, but it was obviously safe to do so.

I can't see the Shetland Times holding the front page for this one ;)

I think what nederlander was saying was that there was an unneccesary emergency stop made by the said driver and that he had had a lucky escape.

This thread was orignally made as a rant thread, so let them rant. You're questions Inky are just taking nederlanders post out of all proportions.

As for bad drivers, I was nearly squished by a bus when I was on the knab roundabout, going right to Knab, bus came up from street. Although I was already on the roundabout he still kept coming on!! Yipes!

But as Cheyrl says, it was a rant, and at no point did I suggest it was news worthy! :lol:

You're right, and perfectly entitled to rant. Go for it! However, there are others who who have been ranting about tailgating. And, from your original post, you must admit that it does give the impression that you almost hit the other car! ;)

Rant away; it's all supposed to be good fun!

Always try and avoid running into the vehicle in front. If you hit them you will always be wrong. They may have to stop for a variety of reasons , it could be to avoid hitting a rabbit or a bairn. The may have stop and peel a banana for the monkey. Always drive far enough behind that you can stop in a safe distance. There's rarely any justification in pushing it in Shetland. You're a long time dead. Take it easy, go with the flow.

You run into someone in front and YOU are in the wrong , always, no excuses.