Drivers so bad they provoke road rage!

The only difference i have seen with the elderly is that they are more careful and wary of dangerous situations. Something everyone could benefit from.

I was once a passenger in a car being driven on the M8 by an elderly guy. He had never driven on any motorway previously and clearly was doing his best to be careful in such a new potentially dangerous situation. We were pulled over by the police and the driver asked if he knew how fast he had been driving. He mumbled something, presumably amazed he could have been speeding. The policeman informed him he had been doing about 20mph and begged him to go a bit faster. It was truly an accident waiting to happen.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've voiced this opinion infront of a few people not quite in the over 60 bracket and they were entirely offended. i suspect that was possibly due to the fact that they were aware their time was coming up and such regulations would affect them soon. but i only say this as the amount of times an old person has pulled out infront of me on round abouts and only due to my own responses a collision has been avoided.

but i only say this as the amount of times an old person has pulled out infront of me on round abouts and only due to my own responses a collision has been avoided.

My own experience of roundabouts in Shetland is that pretty much anybody between the ages of 17 and 99 doesn't seem to understand the concept. The older they are, the more wary they are though.

ooooooh, had to comment here

was driving home the other night from lerwick to laxo ferry ahhhh

there must have been a 15 car tailback. there was a car pottering along at 5pm rush hour going between 20-40 miles an hour. there was light rain but nothing for you to think its dangerous. everyone was keeping their distance but we still had full visability and the wipers were on minimum so there was no need to be driving at that speed

anyone know the reg sv08 e*a was going to report them.. it was shocking. i was always taught if your in a 60 go 60 don't pi55 about at 40 if your in a 60. i've heard of folk fail for going to slow. the speed limit is there for a reason. if your not confidend and see tailbacks pull over and let folk past. i do it even though i'm doing the right speed. if someone is coming up faster behind me i'll indicate, slow down when safe and let them pass. no problem

• 1 month later...

We are complaining about this red van that overtakes us a lot of times. The first time we saw him when we were at the big bend of Scalloway, he overtook us at the bend (honestly, he did) the next time we saw was when we were heading to Lerwick (we went past Gulberwick) we went at 60mph and my mother thought he went round about 80mph. If we see this driver again, we would complain to the business or the police. We're after you!

^^^^Make sure you get the registration number, or the Police won't be able to do do much.

We complained about a car a few months ago, who overtook us doing at least 90mph, in atrocious weather in North Mavine, we gave them a discription of the car, but it was impossible to see the number plate, since i was trying to gain control of our car after being driven onto the verge, so they didn't give much hope of catching them. :evil:

We actually passed the said car this afternoon, he/she was doing way beyond 60mph, in the rain with no lights on, but thats not unusual for Shetland :roll:

IMO I don't know what's worse just now. People who have to use single track roads to get to work/and put their bairns to the leisure centre and come at you at very high speeds and expect you to stop/reverse/give way when the passing place is nearer to them :evil: :evil: ( i hope the people i encountered on Tuesday last week had a ringing ear over the swearwords i sent them telepathically ) or people who decide they can only drive at 30 miles an hour with no lights in the near dark. Another complaint of mine is drivers who decide that you can see better if they use full beam to help you on your way GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

^^^^Make sure you get the registration number, or the Police won't be able to do do much.

We complained about a car a few months ago, who overtook us doing at least 90mph, in atrocious weather in North Mavine, we gave them a discription of the car, but it was impossible to see the number plate, since i was trying to gain control of our car after being driven onto the verge, so they didn't give much hope of catching them. :evil:

We actually passed the said car this afternoon, he/she was doing way beyond 60mph, in the rain with no lights on, but thats not unusual for Shetland :roll:

In saying that even if you did have the number plate the person can just deny it to the police, your word against the drivers.

^ In saying that even if you did have the number plate the person can just deny it to the police, your word against the drivers.

AFIK if three different people (not all in the same car) report the same car on the same stretch of road on the same night at around about the same time the driver can be charged

(*** Mod - dequotified ***)

• 3 weeks later...

I can't deal with folk who run red lights / green men - I know I've mentioned this in the 'annoying but trivial' thread but I appear to have outstayed my welcome there.

The other day I was crossing North Frederick Street to go to uni. There was another girl walking a couple of feet ahead of me, and there was a green man on display. So far so good. So you can imagine my annoyance when this old git turned out of the oncoming traffic on Cathedral St and down onto North Frederick St - and to be even worse, he had the cheek to toot his horn at this other student to get her out of his way! If that had been me I'd have been unable to resist the urge to flip him off, and I never do that to people :evil:

• 5 months later...

Right come on, you see a numberplate o a bad driver, remember it till u git hame an post it here, lets name an shame dim!!

some numpty in a silver VW sharan..W reg overtook me along lochside, an i was doing 40!! i cant mind the number though :(

An the collection o people in the knab graveyard carpark at night, everynight, they make a mess o the car park an make a lot o noise an race up an down the road, continuously and given the number of old people and small children living there its surprising no-ones called the police yet, in particular a small blue Pug 206 4 door, V reg.

Anybody else had these problems or any problems with these 'kids'?