Air conditioning pump-up for Ford Focus

daveh

Where is the best place and price to get the air conditioning unit in my Ford Focus pumped up (is that the term?) in Lerwick?

These past few warm days, the air con seems to be blowing out air no different to having the normal fan on so I thinks it is time to get it seen to.

Thanks.

Think you mean re-gassed? Just be careful if you get it done that they check system first and if no problem is found make sure dye is put in for future problem solving. I'm told you shouldn't need to re-gass unless there's a leak for at least 3 years.

Not sure which company in Lerwick does the gassing, perhaps other folk can help here?

Justin :-)

Thanks.

Yes, re-gassed may be a better term.

The car is just 2 yrs 5 months old so it is not quite 3 years. The problem with a Ford Focus is that, when you turn the engine on, the aircon always comes on automatically if you have the heater fan turned on even at the first setting. Thus, I must have driven quite a bit without realising the aircon was being drained (if that is the correct term!).

Any assistance of a non rip-off place to go will be appreciated.

Dave the aircon should not be running out i.e its not like a aresol where you can use for a set time air con in a car uses refrigernt (same a fridge/frezzer) freon, and its a closed system therefore you prob have a leak etc in the system. with a job like that your best bet is too see a dealer i.e jim garage as they are now Ford dealers in shetland, my opion is you will get a decent service from them ok they will work thru the books also (no backhanders etc) so may cost you but i dnt see the point if the car is not even 3 yrs old too skimp on it best have it properly looked at.

iam used with working with industrial air con systems and as far as i know the system is much the same and there are strict reg regarding freon nowadays in our global situation, there for the garage will have too find a leak either dye or simple soapy water (u also get refrigent detctors how reliable is anyones guess).

just steer clear of arnold clark i had a lot of bother with them when i had my focus!!

The main problem with car air conditioning is refrigerant loss, which occurs naturally, by as much as 15% per annum. Another common problem are leaky seals which develop due to deterioration from under use eg. during winter. Other faults can include blockages and component failure.

It is reccomended to have a recharge every 2-3 years (before it stops working) and to use your air con regularly, even through the winter.

A recharge involves removal of any residual refrigerant, drawing a vacuum and recharging with refrigerant to the manufacturers specifications and can be done in 1 hour.

Taken from a website obout car aircon.