Shetland Football 2009??

penfold

This may be controversial and possibly/probably very unpopular, but what if the B teams split from the A teams, creating whole new teams, allowing for a promotion/ relegation system to happen including the works league?

Why don't we all join the works league.............

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it makes sense. Now, don't get me wrong, I am very, very proud to be a Spurs player, but I think if it could mean the creation of a promotion system, team splits could be very good. Hell, picking new team names would be half the fun!

Muckle Flugga Rovers

Clickimin Athletic

Hamnavoe Harriers

Tingwall Wanderers

The List is endless!!!!!

One of the main things that has really annoyed me this year is travelling up to unst to play on a week night. While i have sympathy with unst having to do it for away games, i feel it is a bit of a joke to be honest. Firstly, having to catch a 5.20 ferry at toft is just plain idiotic, guys working till 5 anywhere south of the town are just not gonna make it, and 20 mins to drive up to toft is just asking for trouble! How long is it gonna be before a serious accident is gonna happen?

Also when you finally do make it onto the park the refs usually give you, if your lucky 2 mins to warm up. This is also just acting for injuries to happen!

i feel it is a bit of a joke to be honest

hahahahahaha are you having a laugh??????

you travel to unst how many times a year???? once, twice at the most. Unst travel to the mainland just about every second game!!!!

Unst players leave from belmont on the 4.45 and dont get home till after 11 at night, and there players show the commitment to do this every second week and you winge aboout doing it once a year!!!!

playing on saturdays is ok, but it leads to fixture congestions towards the end of the season as only one game a week can be played. Unst have played in ness on a weeknight this year too.

2 minutes is plenty for a warm up

or would it just be easier if every team from the isles gave up?? as it would save you needing to leave the toon

sorry but i am certainly not having a laugh. i thing expecting folk who finish work at 5 to travel to toft in 20 mins is asking for trouble. Will it need someone (god forbid) to be killed before people take notice.

As i said i appreciate unst have to do it every 2nd week and i admire their dedication but im afraid that is one of the down sides to living on such remote island.

And if you think 2 mins is enough time for a proper warm up you dont know what you are talking about!

Have you ever been to a proper game? how long do they warm up? 30/40 mins? they do this for a reason!

its not the town that i stay and for the record i did finish early which my boss was not happy about the first time but when i had do it the 2nd time it was very awkward. i just feel rushing to get 2 ferries, usually with a weakened squad, getting a 2 min warm up when unst can get a proper one etc is just not a fair playing field. I remember them playing midweek games in the b league in yell which i personally felt was a far better situation. is this not possible? with other games with agreement played on a sat in unst?

canna comment on the rush to the ferry as Unst agreed to play Ness on Saturdays this season, I did see that some other teams played them on Saturday as well, maybe you should get your team manager or club secretary to approach them and see about the possibility of playing them on Saturdays, though your team would likely have to do the same for your home game against them.

I've not been up to Yell or Unst this season as I've been "blazing a trail" :roll: in the B league. But I know from the past how labourious it can be, on night only getting home at midnight (this does include half an hour in the pub.) But if Unst and Yell can go up and down, so can us toonies. And Ness v Unst/ Yell games can be played on Saturdays or Sundays. And personally, I like travelling all the way up north. It gives a great feeling of a team trip. It's a blast!

its not the town that i stay and for the record i did finish

i just feel rushing to get 2 ferries, usually with a weakened squad, getting a 2 min warm up when unst can get a proper one etc is just not a fair playing field. I remember them playing midweek games in the b league in yell which i personally felt was a far better situation.

:twisted: :?: :cry: :lol:

djb, since you dont live in lerik and are moaning aboot unlevel playing fields etc, i presume u must be from the "village of the dammed" :wink: and this is all just sour grapes because you lost to unst the other week!!

if you want a full warm up you should get the 5 to 5 and 20 to 6 ferries, then you will get a full 45 minutes!! :D Or you could get changed or even do your warm up on the ferry!!!!!! :)

you obviously dont appreciate the unst players dedication at all!!

why should unst play all its home games in yell??? how is that fair? would you be willing to travel up to brae to play every second week (or perhaps more frequently !??? I DON'T THINK SO!!!!! remember unst need to pay for buses and ferries etc and already have a far tougher time trying to comepete in the top league than the mainland teams.

It's also very unfair on the fans who turn up to watch the team. And unlike alot of other shetland teams unst do have people who turn up to watch

Unst players need to ask for an hour off work, perhaps twice a week, depending on fixtures yet they get oon with it. All you need to do is work for half an hour during your dinner break or make up the time the following day!

remember once a year isnt that bad.

in the russian premier league teams needed to travel on a 7 hour flight to reach vladivostok, it may not be ideal but its the way it has to be to keep a "level playing field"

so stop being so selfish and awkward and give up whinging about an hour and a half road trip up to " God's Country " !!!!! sit back on the bus and enjoy the scenery!! (perhaps have a sleep through the mainland and yell-- not much to see there)

Baxter stick a sock in it :P You ruined our good sprees on a sat afternoon by changing to week nights haha. I mind getting a bus up a couple of times and taking up some supporters for the day and just having a good fun in the bak bar after the game afore we went back down.

both of you (baxter and djb) have good points, i mean unst have no option but to do it so why should all the clubs going up not do it to.

but half the clubs can hardly field a team when going up due to having to leave afore 5 and it is a mad rush to the ferry. its alot easier for people to say just ask for half an hour off to go and make it in plenty of time, but take us for example the half of our team works at the salmon on various sites all around shetland with sumtimes 4 or 5 more men and only one boat. so when some one wants half an hour off the whole operation comes to a grinding hault

To be honest we all love the "blast" of playin in the north isles and teams should just look at it as a blast! just take a fewn tins we you to have on the way back and make a night/day of it! I am sure thats what unst and yell do in the reverse situation!!!

And to djb stop moanin aboot something you hav to do once a year!!! I know of unst players who stay in the toon and who dont complian aboot the journey 20 times a year!!