Dry-cleaning of duvets

daveh

So this tumble drier that you have been happily using for the last 25 years...that’s not extravagant? What’s wrong with a washing line?

Your 24-year-old dishwasher, again what’s wrong with the manual version?

In my previous post I suggested washing the duvet in the bath as we did a few days ago

I think you have got completely the wrong end of the stick with this one

Oh and my defender is up for sale because I don’t use it and we are moving shortly, why else would I sell a perfectly usable Landrover for £150, not that anyone’s bought it yet! are you assuming im then going to go to the dealer and spend £20k on a new one?

Oh and your old appliances will be costing you an absolute arm and a leg in wasted energy and water consumption, you should be ashamed of yourself...

I doubt many folk have a £200 duvet

Adhering as I have always done to the mantra of my mother (brought up on the Burgh Road) of 'Buy cheap, buy dear', my point was that it seems to me much less wasteful and indeed considerably less expensive in the long run to buy a worthwhile product, look after it and make it last; a principle which has served me well, for example, with a dishwasher which ran happily for 24 years and a washing machine which has seen off numerous loads from baby clothes to enormous rugby kit, has just turned 18 and (fingers crossed) seems as good as new. Oh yes – and the tumble drier is now 25.

I know this thread is about duvets - but the casual assertion that you just chuck stuff out and buy a new one quite horrifies me, not only from a green point of view - all that landfill! - but also in terms of sheer extravagance. You’ve obviously subscribed to this concept yourself with your Defender – which my son would buy from you in a minute were it not for the ferry fare!

Gracious! Take it you don't know too many families where the husband is a long-distance HGV driver and the wife has a full time and demanding professional occupation? - plus the two sons to look after. I don't think I know anybody at all who doesn't have a dishwasher. You'll be telling me next I shouldn't employ a cleaner either... and I think Miele usually come top in Which for energy efficiency. Sorry to be snippy - but it's very late and I'm actually still working...