Our day in Shetland

alfaetrin

I just wanted to say how much my family, friends and I enjoyed our day in Shetland. We arranged a day tour for the seven of us with Allen Fraser, who showed us around the main sights on mainland, from Jarlshof to Esha Ness in Northmavine. Allen was an excellent guide, knowledgeable, flexible and enthusiastic, and I can highly recommend him for anyone who, like us, has only a brief time to spend in Shetland.

It's hard to pick out the highlights, but for me there were the spectacular views almost anywhere you turned, Jarlshof (amazing, fascinating place, and so easy to walk around!), Voe (beautiful), the Esha Ness cliffs (breathtaking and awe-inspiring), our lunch at the nearby Braewick cafe (very tasty and enjoyable, and surprising that such a good restaurant can be found at such a remote spot), Scalloway (lovely view from the hills above), and rounded off with a short stroll around Lerwick. My son was also fascinated with Allen's detailled descriptions and demonstrations of Shetland's geology.

The short trip only served to whet my appetite for a return visit sometime, hopefully soon, in order to see more. I would really like to see some of the other islands and to visit some of the places that time did not permit us to visit on the mainland.

You are indeed priviledged to come from such a beautiful place,

See you all again soon,

Alastair Jardine

Bishopbriggs