Annoying but trivial things - Room 101 stuff

Well Ally, i get what you say, but my annoyance is in regards to their rudeness. Rich, oh yeah, they are, and i have spent four years watching them ski during reading week, pop off to California after exams, whizz down to the country estate whenever they feel like it, phone daddy for an extra four hundred quid to buy a new ball gown etc etc etc - and this isna really what bugs me.

I dunna really care about the money, as long as i have enough to put a roof over me head and go on holiday occassionally i will prevail...what DOES bug the living deevil oota me is there distinct and total lack of manners - (AND the fact they call anyone with even a hint of a Socttish accent a "Ned" - had a great argument regarding this fact with one of the rugby lads in a pub one night, whereupon i offered to take him to Kirkton or Mid in Dundee and let him see firsthand what a real Ned is)

I know some exceedingly posh totty, and what separates them from the rest of the ignorant little cretins is the fact they are well brought up. One of me best male pals went to Eton, and by all accounts has led a charmed and privaleged life - but he KNOWS manners. He has time for people, and that's what counts.

Also i have found time and time again during my forays into having to live round the "upper" (nutter) classes that they ain't happy Ally. Not really, a large part of them were whacked into boarding school at a hideously young age (e.g. 5/6 years old), they saw their parents at holidays and were the fashionable accessories to the latest Prada outfit.

They spent their lives having money chucked at them, and being dragged around the international "sets" estates, mansions and mountain villas...spending more time with the Nanny and the "help" then their own blood. On the face of it, they are "happy" but deep down they are miserable, they lead a shallow meaningless vacuous life, and all they are set to do is breed the next generation of money making / keeping machines. They must marry into money, or at least keep their own.

I had a conversation we one of these privaleged kids last week, and she was so excited at the fact her mum and dad were flying in for a night - one night - to spend some "quality time" with her - it was the first time she would have spoken to them properly in around four months. I would not swap all the money in the universe, all the privalages of that lifestyle, for the experiences of my own childhood.

They can keep their money Ally baby, they can wallow at the highest end of society till the end of time and i would not once, ever, wish to be in their shoes - for they have no real life. Oh they will make more money in one week then i could ever hope to scrape in three months of slogging me guts oot, but they dont know happiness honey, and that my little love, is why i will never EVER deep down in my soul wish to be like them.

Okkkkkkkay, it is I who have had too much coffee today! I realise i may get ripped apart for making points which could, at best, be termed sweeping generalisations. But I only comment on my own experience of knowing those who shake it with the "jet set".

Jeez Louise...off to have a herbal tea and try and deal with the jitters.

:roll:

Well, interesting points - most of which I agree with. The problem with St. Andrews and yah establishments in general is this.

It's not the yahs that are the problem - it's the wannabe yahs. They are the one's who feed our prejudice. A realtively small minority of those kids are the ones born with silver spoons in their mouth. It's the upper-middle classes that want to be like them.

They show blatant disregard for us "commoners" because they're trying to prove their status by having nothing to do with us - almost looking down on us. They try to make exclusive hang outs (of which I'm sure you're (teenie) aware of one such "society" in St. Andrews) to justify their status.

The real yahs maybe do act differently/dress differently but that's their upbringing. However, they are more than happy to muck in with the common people and are in large part, a good laugh.

It's not the yahs that are the problem - it's the wannabe yahs. They are the one's who feed our prejudice. A realtively small minority of those kids are the ones born with silver spoons in their mouth. It's the upper-middle classes that want to be like them.

They show blatant disregard for us "commoners" because they're trying to prove their status by having nothing to do with us - almost looking down on us. They try to make exclusive hang outs (of which I'm sure you're (teenie) aware of one such "society" in St. Andrews) to justify their status.

The real yahs maybe do act differently/dress differently but that's their upbringing. However, they are more than happy to muck in with the common people and are in large part, a good laugh.

-

Yup, i would agree with you entirely on that one. If any of you happen to me near st andrews buy a copy of the new "student" magazine that has just made the light of day - The Andie. Will give you a good idea of what Mario - (and me in my ranting meanders) - is trying to describe.

Oh how i will miss this interesting little microcosm of yah-ville. Right, sorry guys - i have gone sufficently off topic for today :oops:

p.s. The Andie should be condemned to room 101 and burnt! :D

" ...........................................................................................................................................................

They can keep their money Ally baby, they can wallow at the highest end of society till the end of time and i would not once, ever, wish to be in their shoes - for they have no real life. Oh they will make more money in one week then i could ever hope to scrape in three months of slogging me guts oot, but they dont know happiness honey, and that my little love, is why i will never EVER deep down in my soul wish to be like them......................................

:

Have you convinced youself yet ? :lol: :lol:

Another pet hate - CD film sleeves, on new CD's. Impenetrable! Never ceases to annoy me, my current favourite is to use some kind of flame to gain entry. Doesn't always help.

I'm betting if and when i get into Fort Knox, the last barrier will be some CD cling wrap, and i'll spend the rest of my life un-mega-rich and in Jail. :(

• 2 weeks later...

people that offer to pack your bag at supermarkets- who have no idea about separating certain items and also overpack the bags so they burst before you get to the car. If you decline their offer they make faces and speak about you to their mates- even if you make a donation anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

People who say "you don't need a jacket in this weather" - This irritates me because people can't say it in anything other than a mocking tone. Yes, I accept that it is rather warm but its not like I am wearing a fleece lined Berghaus, I am wearing a thin summer style jacket. Plus, this is Scotland and we all know how fast the weather can change.

People who follow you around car parks waiting to take your space when you go - I take an unhealthy delight in walking as slow as possible and doing everything in my power to slow myself down from leaving. In the extreme circumstances, I have been known to walk through car parks that my car is not in carrying keys just to piss off these people.

Drivers who stop at roundabouts unnecessarily.

Getting stuck behind a really slow vehicle such as a tractor or JCB on the way to work when it is impossible to overtake because of oncoming traffic. Why can't they pull in and let other vehicles past :x

Drivers who fail to put on their headlights when driving in poor visibility. Maybe they can see ok but can we see them :?:

Umbrellas. Not so bad in Shetland but on a rainy day in Aberdeen recently, it was impossible to move in Union Street.

Cash machines, particularly Sound and Toll Clock, when no withdrawals are available thereby having to trail to the street to get money, or going to Somerfield and buying something you dont want just to get cashback.

When Monday to Friday is warm and sunny and Saturday & Sunday is "a steekit mist".

Dog mess on pavements.

Cruelty to animals. :x :x

People who are:-

rude

indecisive

continually complaining

Advertised special deals at places like Sommerfield and when you get there they are all gone! :cry:

People stopping to speak in supermarkets and blocking all the isles, rabbiting on crap and will make no attempt to let you pass.

I always advise my partner in a stage whisper to "squeeze through the small gap near the fat lady"

Never fails

:lol:

Those people who seem to take great pleasure in saying "oh I don't have a TV" with a smarmy attitude. What? Having no TV elevates you into some kind of higher moral plane? Are you better than me for not having a TV? Fair enough if they just want to tell me that they don't have one, just don't attempt to look down on me for having one...its a television we are talking about...not crack cocaine. IF you choose to talk to me like that, I will quote Joey from Friends and ask (repeatedly) what all your furniture points at.

The same goes for the "oh I don't waste my time playing computer games" lot. I do, so either say it nicely or I'll shoot you with my railgun.

People who think the world revolves around them. You know the type, the ones that get so involved in an event that they go beyond happy and enthusiastic to being rude and a pain in the hole.

People who think the world revolves around them. You know the type, the ones that get so involved in an event that they go beyond happy and enthusiastic to being rude and a pain in the hole.

I know the ones you mean...... they are so into what they are doing that anyone not as all singing, all dancing about it as they are, swish their hair or guffaw in complete disgust at you..... oh the shame!

There is also another variation to this type, when they get so absorbed by their 'role' that they can't see the wood for the trees and lose all sense of positivity and nit pick over small, irrelevant details.

Grrr......can you tell I have a few specific examples in mind? :wink: