Annoying but trivial things - Room 101 stuff

• 1 month later...
With you on the bank hatred. They are, without exception, my biggest pet hate.

12p overdrawn? That'll be a £20 fine. Oops! you've got a direct debit that's come out 10 mins before your pay comes in -that's a £20 fine. Here's a letter to tell you about it. That's £20. Oh look! our charges have put you overdrawn! that's means a charge, plus the charge for not having enough funds in your account to cover the charge - that means another charge!!

It is because of these silly fines that my bank debt got so much worse :twisted: I mean, why do they still charge you even with insufficient funds?!

From the Bank of England website

Are Scottish & Northern Irish notes legal tender?

In short ‘No’ these notes are not legal tender; only Bank of England notes are legal tender but only in England and Wales.

Of course refusing to accept Scottish notes may well mean loss of trade but stores are entitled to refuse them.

Of course refusing to accept Scottish notes may well mean loss of trade but stores are entitled to refuse them.

As I understand it, the reason some English shops refuse to accept Scottish notes is the worry that forged notes wouldn't be identified as such by staff who aren't familiar with said Scottish notes. It's not an English conspiracy to deter Scottish tourists from spending their money in England :)