Obesity in Shetland

shetlander

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my grannie is nearly 90 n when i,ve been alang fur me dennar (which wis often saucermeat , tatties on ions and beans ) she aye uses a bit o bread ta swab up dat fat oot o da pan

My gran had the same approach; after dishing up a fry up with tatties, she'd pour the fat from the pan over my tatties claiming "Doo needs yun, hit's guid fur di hert"

It was hard to argue doctor stats with someone 97 year old.

Keeping hersel busy seemed to be the ticket to her longevity, she only seemed to sit on her backside when there were visitors in.

After she'd dished oot the oversized whiskey measures.

It should also be noted that being skinny doesn't translate into being healthy. You can be a 9st weakling but if you're a lazy sod it doesn't mean your immune to heart disease.

I'm a fat sausage but there are a lot of folk in my office and down the local gym who can't do what I do in terms of lifting weights or duration of cadio exercise. Granted once I lose more weight I'll take the piss out of the fatties too :lol:

We do a similar thing. This sunday we had a cheap (very) duck from Tesco. The meat made a fine meal for two. The fat drained from the roast prior to serving and before making the gravy was decanted into tubs. The duck carcass was then boiled down into stock. I now have 3 litres of duck stock (great for making duck soup) with the fat skimmed off. Two old ramikins full of duck far (excellent for roasting tatties) and enough duck left for sandwiches today (which I forgot). No waste to speak of, no extraneous fat added and all the natural fats re-used.

Okay so I'm on the hefty side :lol: but I don't eat unhealthily or particularly waste anything or add anything artificial. My cholesterol is good, my blood pressure is fine and I can work a 16 hour shift without dropping from exhaustion (okay so on day five I'm a bit tired but you know what I mean). From my perspective I agree with the data presented in the obesity study but disagree with the terminology and the intimations about Shetland.

had a tesco goose two years ago at christmas it was all fat very little meat. ive got some running around now and one is looking very plump. im not sure that the duck fat is very good for you. now some proper dripping with the bits is better. very nice roast potatos. veggie oil just does not work as well.

had a tesco goose two years ago at christmas it was all fat very little meat. ive got some running around now and one is looking very plump. im not sure that the duck fat is very good for you. now some proper dripping with the bits is better. very nice roast potatos. veggie oil just does not work as well.

I quite agree - I use the duck fat in the same way I'd use Goose fat to roast my spuds. I certainly don't eat the fat directly and drain the tatties well before serving. Veggie Ghee is quite good for roasting too as it works well at high temperatures and is low in cholesterol (to bring this slightly back on topic).

Guest Anonymous

i think its yun hydrogenated vegatable oil dats da warst , because of the unatural processes were no able to break it doon ... we usually use olive oil but im been told that in soime cases they use certain chemical techniqueis to draw da oil oot .. , who knows maybe its bnest to stick we beef drippin ?