The Bressay Bridge

admin

Do you think we should build a bridge to Bressay?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think we should build a bridge to Bressay?

• Yes
    • No
    • We need more information
    • Don't know/don't care

I think I've figured out why none of the councillors responsible for this fiasco show any sign of resigning. Most of them have signed up for the 'Golden Handshake' come election time. If they go beforehand they stand to lose thier pay-off. Maybe we need to start a petition demanding that they either go now, or donate thier pay-off to charity. :twisted:

One things for sure, they certainly don't deserve it. :evil:

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The present council approved the idea of a bridge to Bressay with a price cap of £19million. Why they still talk about it after it has become clear that the cap will be exceeded is beyond my understanding. We need a new council to look afresh at fixed link options, the status quo or some other idea.

Me being an awkward so and so I wonder what effect on the figures having some splendid vessel such as the Leirna spending a lot of time tied up at either side would have compared with a smaller ferry running a shuttle service.

I am also inclined to wonder if the Toft--Yell service would not be more logical for being replaced by a fixed link.

I am also inclined to wonder if the Toft--Yell service would not be more logical for being replaced by a fixed link.

It is logical in that it carrys a lot of traffic and is an expensive ferry service to run. Downside is that there is 5 times as much water to cross as there is to Bressay, and it is 5 times as deep. Tunnel would be the only option and it'd cost quite a bit....

As far as I know the NATM has been very widely used worldwide.

Because it tries to make an efficient (as cheap as possible) design and removes a lot of the belt and braces approach it leaves a lot more oppertunity for the designer to get it wrong.There is nothing inherently bad in proposing that as a tunnel method, it would just be that you would have to make sure and get it right.

It would seem though that it is a method where the final costs are more difficult to estimate in advance, as you have to wait and see what kid of rock / groundwater you hit along the way.......

If that's what they are proposing, I don't think I'll be in Bressay through that tunnel !! 8O

No wonder the LPA were quoting low figures.

• 2 weeks later...

Following on from the earlier post that showed a bridge that disappears into a tunnel, the Scandahooligians have already done it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oresund_Bridge

This is of course a bit bigger than we need, but it's the tunnel construction that interested me. At least part of it was pre-fab sections dropped into place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immersed_tube

If the type of rock that a potential tunnel to Bressay, Yell, Unst, Whalsay or Foula (can't forget the Foula Folk) is unsuitable for boring through, an immersed tube sounds like the answer. AND, according to Wikipedia, they are cheaper to construct.

No?

here's a link to the new bridge design for bressay, if only sandy and slim jim would aprove. i'm sure they could do it for less than 20 million.

but i'm not sure their egos would like it as it doesn't make a big enough statement.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u119/lochsideboy/liftbridge.jpg

Stylish.

I hope you're gonna invoice them for the design?!