The Bressay Bridge

admin

Do you think we should build a bridge to Bressay?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think we should build a bridge to Bressay?

• Yes
    • No
    • We need more information
    • Don't know/don't care

here's a link to the new bridge design for bressay, if only sandy and slim jim would aprove. i'm sure they could do it for less than 20 million.

but i'm not sure their egos would like it as it doesn't make a big enough statement.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u119/lochsideboy/liftbridge.jpg

SIC did propose something similar to that but LPA wouldn't accept it.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally published on shetlandnews.co.uk on 22 February 2007. Author Unknown.

Bridge row costs SIC another £300K

LERWICK Port Authority is to submit a claim in excess of £300,000 to Shetland Islands Council to cover their legal expenses in the recent Bressay bridge battle before the Court of Session.

Last month, Lord Reed not only ruled in favour of the port authority but also said that the council should pay the port's legal costs.

A meeting of the port authority's board heard that the estimate was now ready for submission to the council. A claim for damages is being looked at separately.

• 3 weeks later...

From BBC Scotland,s website

Consultants have estimated the bridge would cost £37m and aqueduct £41m.

The bridge would have a 15m (49ft) clearance costing £37m but would open to allow 20% of the canal's larger vessels through.

Two points here.........the cost of a bridge over the Caledonian Canal being £37 million so what price Bressay?. And an opening bridge....could that work for Bressay?.

hmmm think you missed some vital statements from the report.

A) Opening bridge ( not only is this a more expensive build... but i also would think higher maintenance cost. )

B) Roundabout to cope with added traffic

C) Dual Carriageway alternative ( that's 4 lanes not just 2 )

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i) Built the cheapest bridge version.

ii) In case it will hinder any traffic in the harbour, then ...

iii) Follow the recommendations of the former Reverend Mr John Morison, Minister of Delting.

If a canal was cut from the head of Sullom Vo to Busta Voe, which could be done at a moderate expence, it would open an easy communication between all the most considerable fishing stations in the country, and afford a safe navigation to ships of any size through the middle of the country. I ever such a canal should be cut the banks of it would be the most convenient situation for a manufacturing village, which is not more wanted in any part of his Majesty's dominions than here ...
Cruise ships could then easily deverted to Scalloway, Shetland would be attractive again for Smyril, which could offer a Shetland Fjord Cruise, Sullom Voe tankers would have a shorter rout to open waters (and in case you would add some doors to either entrance of the canal, the risk of an oil spill from a grounded tanker would be minimal) ... ;-)

If a canal was cut from the head of Sullom Vo to Busta Voe, which could be done at a moderate expence, it would open an easy communication between all the most considerable fishing stations in the country, and afford a safe navigation to ships of any size through the middle of the country. I ever such a canal should be cut the banks of it would be the most convenient situation for a manufacturing village, which is not more wanted in any part of his Majesty's dominions than here ...

This was indeed considered over 30 years ago when Sullom Voe was being planned. There is a house right in the middle of the proposed canal which the then owner was trying to sell at the time as he was building a new house at the time. The proposed canal caused him no end of bother as for a while he couldn't raise any money on the house to finance his new one.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to the press, Shetland Transport Partnership (ZETTRANS) are going to start a new public consultation on the Bridge/Tunnel question.

"ZETTRANS wants to hear from Shetlands about their preferred option"

My option would be to get on with building a cheappo basic tunnel , Wide enough for only one vehicle and with movement controlled by traffic lights at each end.

The waste of money so far is criminal.

• 4 months later...