The Bressay Bridge

admin

Do you think we should build a bridge to Bressay?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think we should build a bridge to Bressay?

• Yes
    • No
    • We need more information
    • Don't know/don't care

Heres a very interesting article relating to over expenditure on a council new build project:

Overspend

Now, if anyone really thinks that any large building project can actually come in on target - read that article again and again!

It is fact that any build will always have unforseen issues bumping up the supposed final capped projected costs!

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except in Germany. Where a plan is a plan, and bozo's don't go fruitcake all the way through a construction process, like women trying on clothes whilst window shopping. Window shopping is what you do before you buy, not during the purchase process.

Construction in this country is inherently ridiculous in that respect, how come the Germans can do it no problem, in budget and on schedule?

Except in Germany. Where a plan is a plan, and bozo's don't go fruitcake all the way through a construction process, like women trying on clothes whilst window shopping. Window shopping is what you do before you buy, not during the purchase process.

Construction in this country is inherently ridiculous in that respect, how come the Germans can do it no problem, in budget and on schedule?

Well as far as unforseen costs are concerned, a tunnel is far more unpredictable than a bridge.

In Germany I believe they accept the second lowest tender. This ensures that tenderers submit realistic tenders, and not a low one just to win the job, where the tenderers have scrutinised the tender documents before submitting their price looking for potential claims to make up the profit.

Guest Anonymous

well this bressay bridge idea is essentially a good idea , but i think the design and cost have to seriously thought about. And that Is where the council will probably make a complete ass of it. the port authority are quite right to voice there concerns on how it may affect the viability of the harbour as the business that is generated hereis the life blood of the economy.

quite right there should not be any restriction to the movement of any shipping in & out of the harbour and also a bridge that is suitable in design for our enviroment. that is why to build a monstrocity that arcs up into the heavens , taller than the surrounding hills in the windiest part of the united kingdom is a bloody nonsense!

the most suitable design would be a floating pontoon style arrangement with an opening middle section that will allow even the beamiest of vessels to enter/exit the harbour. there are several key points that would make this cheaper

1.) the earth works at each side of the bridge would to facillitate the road access would be a mere fraction of the proposed design

2.)there would be no requirement to make foundations of any kind either on the seabed or on land. a simple ramp system to allow for tidal movement would be all that was required the entire structure could be made at a different location and then towed into place therefore causing no restriction to harbour use. preferably made by some of our local companies, malakoff, ocean kinetics etc,keep the money circling in our own economy

3.)it would not be closed so often due to high winds as you dont have to drive at high altitude.

4.) you could fit tide driven turbines it the bottom of it generate some green energy.

5.) its a bloody good common sense idea!.

Well said droilker!. Good to hear someone thinking outside the constraint of a high level bridge even though I have a personal view that some sort of swing bridge might be better.

As for a high level bridge in Shetland?. Perhaps the number of times in a year that the low level Tay road bridge is closed to high sided vehicles might give some sort of hint as to the number of times a Shetland high level bridge would be completely closed to all traffic including pedestrians.

well this bressay bridge idea is essentially a good idea , but i think the design and cost have to seriously thought about. And that Is where the council will probably make a complete ass of it. the port authority are quite right to voice there concerns on how it may affect the viability of the harbour as the business that is generated hereis the life blood of the economy.

quite right there should not be any restriction to the movement of any shipping in & out of the harbour and also a bridge that is suitable in design for our enviroment. that is why to build a monstrocity that arcs up into the heavens , taller than the surrounding hills in the windiest part of the united kingdom is a bloody nonsense!

the most suitable design would be a floating pontoon style arrangement with an opening middle section that will allow even the beamiest of vessels to enter/exit the harbour. there are several key points that would make this cheaper

1.) the earth works at each side of the bridge would to facillitate the road access would be a mere fraction of the proposed design

2.)there would be no requirement to make foundations of any kind either on the seabed or on land. a simple ramp system to allow for tidal movement would be all that was required the entire structure could be made at a different location and then towed into place therefore causing no restriction to harbour use. preferably made by some of our local companies, malakoff, ocean kinetics etc,keep the money circling in our own economy

3.)it would not be closed so often due to high winds as you dont have to drive at high altitude.

4.) you could fit tide driven turbines it the bottom of it generate some green energy.

5.) its a bloody good common sense idea!.

Is this an April Fool posting ?

Heres a very interesting article relating to over expenditure on a council new build project:

Overspend

Now, if anyone really thinks that any large building project can actually come in on target - read that article again and again!

It is fact that any build will always have unforseen issues bumping up the supposed final capped projected costs!

Another shocking point that has come to my attention, which may or may not be directly relevent to this thread and several others, is that of UK contractors employing Quantity Surveyors to look for extras. Sounds innocuous enough but in fact it is a means for contractors to bid low and then inflate charges throughout a project. eg: "The ground was softer than anticipated", "We were held up by another contractor", "It rained more than seasonal average" etc, etc. A classic example of this was the new ferry terminals for Toft and Ulsta, which if i recall correctly, cost a further million according to the contractor, though this was haggled down somewhat by the council.

Perhaps a way for this continuous overspend haemorrhage to be abated would be for the relevant engineers to both fully quantify a project initially, and to stand their ground against cut corner contractors, when it comes to comparing original quote to contract fulfilled.

Or get the Germans to do it.

From my own experience it is not that unusual for contractors to submit bids that would show zero profit or sometimes even a small loss. Two reasons for this. During a quiet spell it could be worthwhile getting a contract just to keep a stable workforce employed until things pick up again. Fair enough and of course they hope to find a few ways to get profits.

The other reason is to get a contract at a low price intending to make profits from "variations" and perhaps by cutting corners on the job. I seem to remember there is something in the rules for tendering of public works that allows a tender to be rejected because the price is too low. Something our worthy councillors should be aware of.

I see that the Harbour Trust have been working on some reinforced concrete bunker structure at Holmsgarth for several week now. Could this be their equivalent of the iron stove in the "Great Escape" & even as we speak, they are already half way to Bressay. I believe there are loads of harbour employees shaakin earth down their trooser legs ower the pier.

Can't wait to see Alan Wishart speeding to freedom on his motor Bike in Bressay.

I see that the Harbour Trust have been working on some reinforced concrete bunker structure at Holmsgarth for several week now. Could this be their equivalent of the iron stove in the "Great Escape" & even as we speak, they are already half way to Bressay. I believe there are loads of harbour employees shaakin earth down their trooser legs ower the pier.

Can't wait to see Alan Wishart speeding to freedom on his motor Bike in Bressay.

^^^^^^^^^^

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Answering the poll question, I for one need more information.

We have, over the years this has been boiling away, been flooded with propoganda from both sides of the bridge (oo love it). But what I would like to know is why we chose Bressay as the first, most important, most econmically viable, most benifit to both the island being bridged and mainlans area or best value to Shetland as a whole.

Someone from the SIC please answer that.

Ta