47 members have voted

1. 1. Is swearing on the internet cool?

• F***in' A!!!!
    • Please don't, I might cry.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont think anyone shoud swear, its' not very, nice and can make people feel bad like wen my sister somtimes swears at me sometimes i feel quiet bad but i will confess that i somtimes say swears like poop but then its only wen ive had a poop or somthin smells like poop like wen i go far a walk past som parks with cows and i smell their poop lol

this is the best post ive ever read on shetlink.

• 1 month later...

^^^ I'm glad you asked me :)

My great uncle, who wasn't really big on swearing, used it in place of more severe swear words - for example, when my dad was a teenager him and the great uncle worked on a building site in Yell together (this was in the early eighties, so although my great uncle was fairly old at this point he wasn't quite old enough to retire). When my uncle made a faux pas, eg hit his thumb with a hammer, he didn't turn the air blue about it like most folk would. He just roared 'Oh, pungs!' The others were amused.

I don't find swearing all that offensive - although it depends on the situation - but just lately I've said 'pungs' instead on the grounds that it's such a fun word to use ^_^

I always found it extremely amusing that for those of the older generation whom actually uttering a swear word was unthinkable, many liberally used a quite extensive collection of insults and "curses" spoken using everyday words, that were IMHO as bad, if not worse than if they'd just used swear words anyway. :lol:

EM, I might need to moderate your post as it contains too many references to swearing. :oops:

I had a Billy Connolly tape at one point (yes a cassette) in which he described swearing to children. He replaced the offending words with similar yet benign words. Just had a quick look on Youtube and I can't find it but he does give many other great references to swearing on various other clips.

My Great Grandfather was one of the people that respected who and when he should or should not swear. When telling a joke then swear words would often be used, providing it was a room full of men. Should a lady enter then the story changed significantly, sometimes to the point that it wasn't funny any more.

Swear words have their place in society in various different guises. I think that the biggest problem is that they are often overused and dumbed down. I am as guilty as anyone in this respect. Swearing has become part of my vocabulary and I use it perhaps more than I would like to.

On forums such as this then I try to avoid swearing. Unlike speech, you have more chance to convey your words and read them through before you post something. Sometimes people feel the need to swear and sometimes that can be acceptable but usually the Shetlink filter will kick in and give it a far more fun alternative.

Family forum kids, keep it clean! :wink:

Is there somewhere we (i.e. those who won't be offended) can access the official Shetlink list of swearies and what Shetlink changes them to?

I do mind reading one fairly lengthy post a while ago that must've contained a lot of inapproved words as - when reading it - it made very little sense withe the liberal sprinkling of sausages, sharn etc

PM would do....

i reckon so long as it doesn't descend into everyone calling each other twats it'll be ok.

A sad indictment of Shetlink's popularity and then the increase of members who can't string much more than incoherent swearing and personal insults together + the sheer inability now to moderate on here 24x7 (note all mods and admins are doing this voluntarily and alongside day jobs!) - the swear filters were sadly introduced.

...I had a Billy Connolly tape at one point (yes a cassette) in which he described swearing to children. He replaced the offending words with similar yet benign words. Just had a quick look on Youtube and I can't find it but he does give many other great references to swearing on various other clips...

I have that tape somewhere, Billy Connely - Get Right Intae Him.

I think is "A Wee Swearie" that you are referring too.

"Getafo yabasa" is one i can remember off hand.

That is a brilliant tape, i will have to see if i can find it again.

• 1 month later...

Hmm. I note yet another example of language usage by the mainstream establishment which can not be accurately quoted here due to the Shetlink "grannie" swear filter. Quite funny as well:

Shetland News[/url]"]

Mr Goodlad was given ... a card, signed by all councillors, which reads: 'We are sorry you are leaving because when we mess things up there is no bugg*r to blame'.