Why oh why (do people vandalise things)???

Becky

I feel I have to ask this, just incase ANYONE can understand the need...

Why (oh why oh why, etc) would anyone feel the need to rip the wing mirror off my car in the middle of the night? I came home yesterday evening about half eight, parked up in the car park opposite my house next to a nice gentleman who lives nearby (who had nothing to do with the vandalism...incase calling him nice was not clear enough) and went home. When I went to drive to work this morning the wing mirror had been completely distroyed by someone.

And no, it was not an accident, it has been totally snapped off and it's one of the ones that bends back and fore if it's knocked.

Now in a car park full of other cars...I have to ask...WHY ME?

Sorry but I have had the worst day ever...don't even get me started on the student loan company!!

B

[mod edit- altered title to more accurately reflect subject]

Thought about reporting it but in all honesty, what is the point?! No CCTV there, not likely to be any witnesses, other than those who probably thought it was bloody hillarious to watch their mates trashing part of someone elses car...so what could the police even really do?

Just more paperwork for them and more hassle for me...and no one any further forward.

It's just so sad that you can't park your car safely in town anymore...my brother in law parks his car on the street outside his flat in Edinburgh every night and has never had any trouble...yet here...nope. Not the friendly little island people make out these days. Sad truth.

But thanks for the reassurance...this kinda stuff does make you paranoid!! And skint...wing mirrors are not cheap!

Guest posiedon

I'm no angel, and have had numerous brushes with the law (in my youth) But wanton vandalism is the one thing I can never understand.

I can only think it must be jealousy, "you work hard and have a nice car" I sit on my ers* all day and have to get the bus, Not fair! :roll:

Guest Anonymous

Reporting such vandalism to the police may seem to be a nuisance to them, but at least if they know about it, it will give them a chance to build a bit of info if similar incidents occur. The boys in blue aren't really bad at dealing with stuff like this, they just don't have enough information.

If all incidents are reported they have a chance to build up a profile of when/where/and possibly who, they need to look out for.

I can remember a case from 'many moons ago' when the Lerwick plods solved a similar car vandalism case by narrowing it down to an area, and a particular night of the week, then watching that area more carefully.

You might be surprised to find how welcoming the police are to reports of things like this. Give them a chance. :D

Only pity is that when they catch the little b*****s, the judicial system just smacks their wrists, instead of breaking some vital appendage off their body with a sledge hammer. :twisted:

I'm laughing right now, only because the car in question is not your stereotypical "nice" car!! It's too old to envoke major jealousy I would have thought!!

But you're right, sometimes it doesn't pay to work hard, save hard and buy something coz some b*gger will steal or wreck it anyway!

Saddest thing is it's not even my car, it's my blokes and he's away, thankfully by the time he gets back I will have managed to get it fixed (I hope). But the wing mirror alone is £40...that's about a weeks DOLE money I believe!

I can only echo Auld Rasmie's posts - do report it. The cops here are better than "the word" would have you believe, they just dont get much to go on because of the "i dunna want tae budder dem" mentality.

(thats not a dig, i'm not saying you're like that, rather that i was. But due to various reasons i've learnt its not fair to anyone to hold back, you may not get reimbursed, but you may help some other poor bu**er keep their wing mirror)

I can only think it must be jealousy, "you work hard and have a nice car" I sit on my ers* all day and have to get the bus, Not fair! :roll:

If only i could afford the bus...

Always been a weird one that IMO. I've seen it mentioned elsewhere on shetlink that public transport is seen as some second/lower class mode of transport by some locals.

I can't compute that. How can the ultimate in chaffeur driven transport be anywhere but the top of the "class" heap.

Yup, report it. Same thing happened to a neighbour a couple of weeks ago. My car was parked beside hers, and when I drove off in the morning, her wing mirror was underneath my car. The Police came around the neighbouring houses the see if anybody had seen/heard anything and although nobody did as far as i'm aware, they told me they had a pretty good idea who it was. They may well just know about who was knocking around the town that night up to no good and know where to start looking.

If theres any chance at all of catching the sweet little darlings (well theres a swear filter here which would 'correct' my preferred description), go for it. And if you don't report it, theres none.

Guest Anonymous
I'm laughing right now, only because the car in question is not your stereotypical "nice" car!! It's too old to envoke major jealousy I would have thought!!

Well, to qualify my previous statement. My car is likely older, it's nearly 19 years old, and behaves like a 19 year old sometimes, but the fact is that any violation of your property, or person, is a violation in the eyes of the law. And the law will, and must, take all complaints seriously.

I have to admit that in my younger days I had a scrape or two with breaches of what could be called the legal system, but now that I am fast approaching senility I have realised that they, (the law), are worthy of the public support, by reporting any and all incidents, in the hope that they may catch the little ****** (saved the Mods an edit there :wink: )

i wonder if the person that done this is reading about what he/she has done. i hope one day when they save up their hard earned pennies to get a car someone does the same to theres then they'll know how it feels.

i would be soooo annoyed. i've just moved here and you would think in an island where everyone near enough knows everyone or knows someone who is friends or related to someone that this sort of thing wouldn't happen. its really sad in a way that folk are like that in such a small place

i had to laugh when i sorted out my car insurance when i moved up here. i lived in a fine street down south but our car did get its back lights smashed (whilst reversed in our drive) and i did see some cars with there windows smashed and others with side mirrors kicked off and i was shocked when i went to get a quote for our car insurance up here... it was more than what i paid last year for living down south. i thought living on an island off an island my car insurance would've been cheaper but for some reason its not

Whereabouts is it you stay?

People up here tend to be heavily reliant on their cars so that'll probably explain the high insurance.

yeah theres probably higher percentage of accidents per car on the road since so many people are in them numerous times a day.

i didnt even use a car down south because i could walk everywhere i needed to go (including the supermarket)

its probably a group of toonie bairnes, wandering around at night bored out of their minds and probably half baked on buckfast.

Quite a mighty assumption there:

- Lerwick residents

- Younger residents

- Wandering around

- Bored

- Drunk

They could've been people from any part of shetland, drunk or not.