Where is Shetland?

oldscalloway

Noticed Para Handy wrote in May about how people on the mainland of Scotland have no idea where Shetland is situated. I find this all the time in Glasgow. There there seems a nearly universal lack of knowledge of the geography of Scotland. When asked where your accent is from, and you reply Shetland, this almost always brings on questions about friends they had from Mull or Stornoway etc etc. A next door neighbour from Sky or a relative from Lewis. These are not isolated cases, but at least 90% of people you meet. I always find this strange because the BBC weather map every news time clearly shows the basic layout of Scotland. (Now they have stopped using the Moray Firth Box.) And they have also been plenty of news stories from Shetland ie the Braer, lost boats etc, which usually show maps. So, is there a cure for this lack of knowledge? Is our geography teachers letting down the nation? Should we be worried? Probably not. Its always good for a laugh.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoke to a lady South last week who, after asking where Shetland was went on to ask if she'd need a Visa to visit!

I can understand how some folk wouldn't know where Shetland is exactly but to ask that and knowing that it's "still part of the UK you know"!

That said, cost of getting to and from Shetland.....a Visa CARD is a must!

Justin :-)

I remember being amazed by a child in Oxford who did indeed know where Shetland was "oh that's in Scotland" unfortunately "Scotland's near France isn't it?" was her follow up, the frustration of being a Shetland bairn on holiday in England.

How about Sheppey, another sheepy, boggy isle, with a population of about 36,000 everyone know where that one is?

At the risk of being redirected swiftly to the drunk zone, is it not a tad conceited to expect everyone to know where we are?!?! Does it really mak much odds??? (Though I have to point out to Medziotojas, not only can I point out Lithuania, I can hum the anthem decently on a good night too :D !!)