Where is Shetland?

oldscalloway

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about Sheppey, another sheepy, boggy isle, with a population of about 36,000 everyone know where that one is?

Off the coast of Kent in the Thames Estuary. At least the people of Sheppey are now linked to the mainland via 2 bridges.

There is another similarity you forgot to mention.... both are alive with Daddy-longlegs at certain times of the year :(

^ :lol: You know I'm regretting that statement, right? Seems that everyone does know where it is! :P

I still don't know where it is (haven't bothered to look!).

Then again, I had no idea where Shetland was either before I decided to move here... I recall having to search a globe for it after accepting employment here. I might have said, "oh my!"

Thurso may be closer if you travel from Fair Isle.

It is indeed closer. What some people claim is that Bergen is the nearest mainline railway station, but certainly Thurso station is much closer.

Quick check with Google Earth gives the following rough distances:

Bergen - Lerwick 358 km

Bergen - Skerries 335 km

Aberdeen - Lerwick 339 km

Aberdeen - Sumburgh 305 km

Thurso - Lerwick 220 km

Thurso - Sumburgh 190 km

Thurso - Fair Isle 150 km

^ :lol: You know I'm regretting that statement, right? Seems that everyone does know where it is! :P

Your vindicated Fjool I have never heard of Grantham until you posted it had to look it up on Google maps

It was known as the birthplace of a certain Margaret Thatcher, grocer's daughter.

I always find this strange because the BBC weather map every news time clearly shows the basic layout of Scotland.

I have actually written a very polite email to Sky news to complain that their weather map for the UK shows a large portion of northern France but does not show any part of Shetland. Needless to say, they didn't respond yet their weather map has not changed.

Yeah I've had the same problems when I moved down to Edinburgh. Asked where I come from and said Shetland a surpring number of folk didn't know where it was either that or thought we were in the Western Isles (They kept getting muddled up with Stornoway). Mind you like Styles you could wind them up fairly good. :lol:

Yeah I've had the same problems when I moved down to Edinburgh. Asked where I come from and said Shetland a surpring number of folk didn't know where it was either that or thought we were in the Western Isles (They kept getting muddled up with Stornoway). Mind you like Styles you could wind them up fairly good. :lol:

When I told a colleague about going home for Christmas he asked if I was getting the ferry from Ullapool. I had to correct him.