Keep dogs on leads

Just thought of another dog related peeve of mine.

Irresponsible owners who insist on letting there dog off the lead!!

I have a small dog and last week whilst out for a walk at back of Clikimin, a collie x and owner came walking towards me. I sometimes pick up my dog when big one's approach. But today I thought oh well it must be ok as owner would have called dog back or to heel.

Oh no this brute of a thing came bounding up and went for her around the throat. I screamed and immediately grabbed my dog. All the lady said was, oh he's never done that before! (no sorry)

This maybe true but my dog could have been savged and killed. Or I could have been bitten trying to rescue my pooch.

The flipside of this is, what if my dog was viscious and hers came up to mine and it attacked it. Who'd be in the wrong then?

Maybe we should do on the spot fines for that too, what's your opinions?

:x

Guest Anonymous

This is actually a far more valid and important issue than people realise. I love walking and I would like nothing better than to go out and about for a nice peaceful walk in the green areas of Lerwick(Knab, Sletts, Searoad etc) but I can't because I'm pettrified of dogs. And I can't :twisted: because of these selfish and thoughtless dog owners("he'll never hurt dee" as a chunk of my leg/hand disappears) who allow their dogs to roam free while "walking" it. I genuinely think there should be a law which forces dogs to be kept on a lead at all times when in public places. Infact as I understand it there is a law which says that a dog should be kept under control at all times when in public places. I don't see much of this though when a huge alsation is bounding towards me with foam pouring from its mouth. And you'd be surprised by how many other people(who aren't quite so scared of dogs) actually feel kinda the same about this. If you're one of these offending dog owners please take note :twisted: .

I am one of those people who is ok with dogs but I have to agree that there are often quite large dogs left to run free on the Knab. Not only is this frightening for some people but I would expect that the doggie poo deposited far from the path gets left to decompose naturally by all except the most diligent owners.

Not only is this frightening for some people but I would expect that the doggie poo deposited far from the path gets left to decompose naturally by all except the most diligent owners.

I would have to argue that one JustMe, Them that scoop, scoop and them that dunna, dunna. Responsible owners are not confined to the path.

I would have to argue that one JustMe, Them that scoop, scoop and them that dunna, dunna. Responsible owners are not confined to the path.

Indeed responsible owners are not confined to the path but how long are they prepared to spend searching for their doggies dump (or lack of it) some distance from and perhaps out of sight of the path?.

Well, i'm not sure about that, but i am sure about one thing. Dogs do not poop like sheep, it doesn't happen as an unconscious act whilst travelling, so the fact that your dog is a) motionless B) poised like a frog c) has bulging eyes is usually a bit of a giveaway as to where to find 'the bad stuff' :wink: