Fixed links

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ arf arf ;)

There really has been some sharn written in here over the last couple of days, no? Self built tunnels - lik who the hell is going to set foot in one of those!?

"Oh sorry Jeemsie, hit's a sheem dat dee bridder got squashed athin dat tunnel whin me bed boards brook! I tocht do dat if hit wis gud enoucgh fur Steve McQueen dat hit'd shurley be gud enoucgh fur wis!?"

For god sake don’t give the council any more dafter ideas or there will be fixed links to Aberdeen next

Best idea I've heard for a while....just so long as H.M Government foots the bill!

A brig fae da point of Scatness or Garthsness via Fair Isle to North Ronaldsay, and let the Orkneymen flite ower da rest. Sounds good to me. :wink:

I think there is a large body in the council who only want ferries to keep a larger proportion of people employed.

The Bressay crossing IMHO is not the most important one , a 2 lane tunnel across the Yell Sound is, followed by a single lane tunnel for Bluemull then a single for Bressay. Then the 2 Yell sound ferries could work the Whalsay crossing, whilst the the Whalsay ferry go's on the Fetlar route.

I don't see a problem with Traffic lights, using a tunnel is still far more convienient than using a ferry, no weather problems and 24 hour, and a huge saving in the long term on fuel costs and replacements of Ferries.

If the need for infrastructure replacement and the distances and funding implications of providing fixed links were equal to all of the isles then I would agree with you.

Unfortunately its not as simple as that. The terminals at Gutcher, Belmont, Laxo, Vidlin and Symbister in particular are in need of upgrading and most of the vessels serving the Bluemull, Whalsay and Bressay routes need to be replaced in the not too distant future, so on those grounds alone (and given that millions have recently been spent on the Yell route) it surely makes sense to look at those first. Although the vessels serving Yell could indeed be deployed elsewhere, the cost and time implications of providing a tunnel there would further delay higher priority projects on other routes, particularly when the vast sums that are being spoken about are taken into account.

The Council have decided that a tunnel for Bressay and replacement ferries and terminals for Whalsay are the preferred options for those islands. Once the possibility of a single lane tunnel to Unst is investigated, a decision will be made on what should be provided on Bluemull Sound followed (in spring I believe) by a decision on the order the projects should proceed in.

where do you get this that the Bressay ferry "Leirna" needs replacing Shetlander?? That ferry is in great condition and the crew seem to keep her very clean.. All she might be the better off is a bit more horse power for westerly weather surley the cost of new engines would be a lot cheaper than a new ferry... :roll:

See this:

http://www.zettrans.org.uk/consultation/documents/AnnexI_ReconfiguredFerry.pdf

Or Pages 26-27 of this:

http://www.hitrans.org.uk/downloads/FERRIES/Strategic%20Sea%20Crossings%20Baseline%20Review%20Final%20Report%201.pdf

In any case, my point was that it makes more sense to invest in the routes where infrastructure and ferries are in greater need of replacement first.

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

Just been reading this article about the Bressay Tunnel:

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2008/10/31/bressay-tunnel-in-three-years-say-engineers-behind-project/

Seems very sensible compared with the stupid bridge idea. But one question which I haven't seen answered anywhere is, would a toll be charged to help recover some of the costs?

The basic system, as I understand it, here in Norway, is that tolls are charged on tunnels and bridges until they are paid for. Obviously it would be unrealistic to expect reasonable toll charges to ever pay for a Bressay tunnel, but at least it would all help.

I think a tunnel of that size would likely attract a toll charge of about £1.50 to £2.00 here. If such a toll was levied on the Bressay tunnel, which would be a lot less than current ferry charges, would that cause an outcry from Bressay residents, or would it be acceptable?

Perhaps this has already been discussed elsewhere, but didn't see it.

BTW. With this last little puff of wind many bridges in Norway were closed. And comparing conditions which forced their closure, with the weather Shetland has had over the last week, a Bressay bridge would have been closed for several days in a row.

Which raises another question. How many millions have been wasted in pursuit of the bridge option over the years? When all they needed to do was look at the wind conditions which were likely to force a closure, then look at the weather history for Shetland, then do a few simple sums and say bug*er the bridge idea

40 million for how many people thats about £100,000 per person. they would all have to do 50,000 trips each to pay for it. that assuming of course that you can charge for it; would the snp goverment be willing to allow a toll. were is the cash coming from us, scotland, uk,europe. still have to ask why bressay first. there ferry is ok and it runs with less disruption due to the weather than most of the others. still say yell should be first its the busyier route.

But one question which I haven't seen answered anywhere is, would a toll be charged to help recover some of the costs?

Can't find it written anywhere, but i'm sure it was said early on that a bridge/tunnel would be toll free.

Which raises another question. How many millions have been wasted in pursuit of the bridge option over the years? When all they needed to do was look at the wind conditions which were likely to force a closure, then look at the weather history for Shetland, then do a few simple sums and say bug*er the bridge idea

I think that one's been mentioned to death here and elsewhere. Just a pity that those in the know thought they knew best!