Shetlink GAYDAR

EXCUSE ME ....THE CONSENT AGE IS 16

USA...

JA, one word answers like that are really quite unhelpful.

People get confused about what you mean and they suggest an aggressive tone. Maybe you should consider explaining your thoughts more fully.

I do realise that the tone of the original post was hardly friendly and also by an anonymous poster, so I understand any frustration you may feel, but a little thought and clarity will usually disarm these situations.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Is there any Gay bars in the Shetland's, would be interested to know. Aberdeen has a top Gay bar, O'Henrys 20 Adelphi lane, off unoin street.

See You There.

My mother recently got into religion and all that she does now is spout homophobic crap. It really does pee me off.

I recently saw a very good poster on NHS premises about no place for homophobia. Sadly they don't have the poster in their library as I would have liked to have sent one to my mum.

Whilst I am happily hetero' I have no problem with gays. My experience has been that those that create about people's sexual orientation are either uneducated, bigoted, unsure of their own orientation or members of certain churches. I do have respect and admiration for anybody who is happy to be themselves and not feel that they have to conform to what is seen as societies ideals.

Guest Anonymous
"Am I the only one in the village?"

With the traditional emphasis of man-hood...growing up in shetland was a bit isolating knowing i was different, turd at fitba, but good at cooking.

My first experience was in Scalloway and ive never looked back since...

Thankful to shetlink as i can now hopefully communicate with other villagers, with no bias. :P

Being gay in Shetland must be an absolute nightmare.

When I was in 4th year at school a certain psycho decided that me and my pals were "poofs", presumably because we didn’t play for spurs/thistle and we listened to Nirvana - that was the extent of our alleged homosexuality. Oh, and I think my mate Baz got caught reading a book once, so maybe that’s what swung it.

Anyway, him and his sycophantic pals made our lives a misery, to the extent that we became reluctant to hang out with each other in case the "rumours" were re-enforced.

Eventually he saw me getting off with some lass at country disco (mind them?). He bounded over, slapped me on the back and congratulated me on not being gay, before picking a fight with some "magnie wooble".

True, the guy was an idiot, but I’m not convinced that his homophobic attitude is unique in Shetland – in fact I’d say it was far more common than most folk appreciate.

With the traditional emphasis of man-hood...growing up in shetland was a bit isolating knowing i was different, turd at fitba, but good at cooking.

Thankful to shetlink as i can now hopefully communicate with other villagers, with no bias. :P

When I was in 4th year at school a certain psycho decided that me and my pals were "poofs", presumably because we didn’t play for spurs/thistle and we listened to Nirvana - that was the extent of our alleged homosexuality. Oh, and I think my mate Baz got caught reading a book once, so maybe that’s what swung it.

Anyway, him and his sycophantic pals made our lives a misery, to the extent that we became reluctant to hang out with each other in case the "rumours" were re-enforced.

Eventually he saw me getting off with some lass at country disco (mind them?). He bounded over, slapped me on the back and congratulated me on not being gay, before picking a fight with some "magnie wooble".

True, the guy was an idiot, but I’m not convinced that his homophobic attitude is unique in Shetland – in fact I’d say it was far more common than most folk appreciate.

Damn it! Forgot I wasn't logged on - It was me that posted the above.

Damn it! Forgot I wasn't logged on - It was me that posted the above.

Not the bit about being gay, - the bit about the psycho thinking I'm gay etc... I'll keep on diggin' :oops: