Keyboards

Fjool

... ones for typing on.

Any recommendations? I've been wondering about getting a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000, which looks reasonable. Most people who have reviewed it seem to have pretty good typing skills, which must count for something.

Anybody using one of these? Or some alternative recommendation?

As a touch typist of nearly 30 years now, I find the split ones a pain if you play games at all, as you cannot reach the keys easily.

I'm also not a fan of ones with the windows key either, I find that gets in the way!

I'd recommend a nice old fashioned clunky IBM keyboard built to last, a bit loud to type on, but a good feel to them.

I'm constantly disapointed with many of the modern membrane keyboards, give me one with old fashioned switches!

Also, I hear constant issues with anything wireless (Or USB come to that..), so you might want to think of something wired.

And finally, if you cannot touch type, I'd really recommend learning, it saves lots of time. (Says he 70wpm)

Thanks for all the replies, folks!

As a touch typist of nearly 30 years now, I find the split ones a pain if you play games at all, as you cannot reach the keys easily.

No, no, no; touchy-typist here and the ergonomic keyboard is an absolute necessity. So much more comfortable and fluid - I'm half surprised that it is still possible to buy the older style ones. I'm currently jammed in on a 'normal' keyboard and it's horrible; really slows one down - like running a sack-race.

I would change but I like to play games too :-)

If I had more room, I might have two keyboards to solve the issue.

But then, I might consider getting something like a Dvorak one as well.

I wonder how long we have to wait until a mind controlled keyboard comes out.. after all, you can get a mouse like that :-)

http://news.softpedia.com/news/OCZ-to-Demonstrate-Mind-Controlled-Gamer-Mouse-76611.shtml

I have been using the same old Trust ergonomic keyboard for the last 10 years or so. It's been a fantastic old workhorse and I don't have any problems with using it for games. It is a switch type (clicky) 'board. I don't touch type but I did manage about 60 wpm last time I checked.

After 10 years, you wouldn't believe how cruddy it is though. I have read in magazines that as long as you give them a decent time to dry out (about two weeks in the airing cupboard was the time quoted) then it is perfectly possible to put your keyboard through the dishwasher. I'm loathe to try this though as I think it would finally kill it.