Apple Mac vs PC

peeriebryan

Who's the daddy  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the daddy

• Mac
    • PC

Hmm. I've never had any of those things happen to my Macs. Somewhat ironically, I have experienced most of them on various PC. I suppose its operator error to some degree though.

One point he made about losing data through deletion is completely wrong. The guy claims that once you delete data on a Mac, its gone. Thats not how the file system works. I have twice mistakeny reformatted drives and many timed deleted important work but still been able to retrieve data. I agree that Norton is rubbish though.

Anyway, until I watched that film, this post was meant to be me saying Macs aren't perfect coz I've just had my first ever hardware fault. Last week I realised I couldn't boot from my iBook internal drive and it started to make horrid sounds. I was able to rescue all my data and fitted a new drive today. However, iBooks are not designed to be user servicable, l can tell u. Had to completely dissasemble the entire machine to get a drive in. Over 150 screws. If you ever happen to take one apart, take note of where the screws came from!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One point he made about losing data through deletion is completely wrong. The guy claims that once you delete data on a Mac, its gone. Thats not how the file system works.

Theres absolutely more chance of getting your data back intact from a journaled filesystem as from the weird Microsoft FAT16/32 systems. The fact that MS have now moved completely into NTFS just goes to show it is a far superior way to store digital data!

Guest Anonymous

Mac IBook G3s manufactured between 2001 and 2003 have a potential logic board problem resulting in screen display problems - horizontal lines, flashing screen and ultimately no screen output at all. I've had a recurring problem since the standard guarantee period expired - Luckily for me and many many other i-book users Apple put in place a extended warrany for the affected machines; accepting responsibilty to repair them - Mine has been repaired 3 times now. Sounds very noble of Apple doesn't it ? .......problem is it takes up to 3 months to get the repair done -Not really what you want when you buy a pricey machine

If anyone experiences this type of problem with their Ibooks check out the Apple site for information on the Logic board problem at the following URL http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/ .....The extended warrany only lasts for 3 years

Mine has been repaired 3 times now. Sounds very noble of Apple doesn't it ? .......problem is it takes up to 3 months to get the repair done -Not really what you want when you buy a pricey machine

I think that is the major drawback with Apple. Their turnaround for servicing as terrible (apparently). I always buy machines that are a bit older, so I've never experienced "Apple (couldn't) Care". I'd rather take my chances doing the repairs myself than wait, computerless, for 3 months. Shockingly slow!!

Guest, you'd think they'd give you a new machine rather than the hassle and cost of repairing and posting it back and forth. It can't cost Apple much to make an iBook. A few chips and some plastic........

Has anybody actually seen one of the new intel macs in action?

They are meant tae be really fast..... but I have heard they are having a few teething problems.

I am looking intae getting a "refurb" mac for uni, and letting mam and dad have my computer since their computer is on it's very last leegs.

Can anybody tell me roughly how they compare in performance to PC's.

I will mainly be running things like Flash and Dreamweaver. I am also hoping to use it for video editing and maybe even music production (if I get my hands on a midi/audio interface), and so need a machine with a reasonably big harddrive, and definately a DVD writter. I don't really play games, so it dosn't need tae be able tae do that.

The eens I am looking at are either the Lappy's, or the imac G5's, as they are both reasonably portable.

(I know, the G5 might be a long shot!)

I am looking intae getting a "refurb" mac for uni

Is it Macs your uni works wee? I'd get whatever they have.

I reckon that I'll never buy a desktop machine again. If you're planning on doing a bit of traveling between Yell/student flat/uni, you'll end up cursing the fact you have to work with CD/DVD/external drives to carry your data around. The only drawback to a laptop is the smaller Hard disk, but if you’re doing AV, a big external drive would be prudent.

If you get a Laptop Mac, you can connect it up to a uni computer as an external firewire drive. Data has a habit of going missing from uni computers. Just ask my weeping PC pals. It really is a god send. Connect it up with a firewire cable, reboot your laptop holding down the 'T' key, and hey presto, it appears on your desktop as another drive. Wheeeeeeeeee

Even though I've had a few problems with my iBook, I thoroughly recommend them. The only real draw back compared to a Powerbook (apart from the obvious extra Oomph! issue) is a lack of built in audio input, which shouldn't be an issue if your getting an external device.

I always buy Macs which are a year or two out of date, because professional Mac users are inclined to buy every new model that comes out, meaning you can pick up a few bargains. It might be worth waiting till the portable G5 range comes out, then get a cheap G4 i/power book. People have been waiting for ages (a couple of years) for a new generation of portable Macs to come out, so prices for older models will go through the floor.

I looked around for yonks for a good price for my second hand iBook. The best place by far was good/bad old eBay. Keep checking their i/power book listings so you get a feel for the prices. Keep in mind that you'll probably want to put in the maximum RAM for audio visual work.

As far as performance of Mac vs. PC it kinda horses for courses as far as I can see. I find that its PC users who quote benchmark figures and processor speeds and motherboards and chipsets and overclocking and this and that. The advantage of a Mac is that all the components and software are designed from the ground up to be 100% compatible. The software and the hardware run together so efficiently that processor speed comparisons with a PC are almost irrelevant.

I've never done any serious visual work on my Macs, so it’s once again over to McFly.....

Cheers fir that peeriebryan, that really answered all my questions.

It is mainly macs they work we at uni, which is why i am considering getting a mac, and keeping my laptop at home as our main family computer (also we need a new computer at home, and I canna be ersed we the stress of choosing/building a new PC, and getting it all set up so it works properly!)

I have found a place where I might get a refurb Mac, it's no as cheap as ebay, but the stuff comes we a 1 year warranty, which is useful!

http://www.cancomuk.com/

Any idea how long it will be afore the new imacs come on the market?

Waarr?! peeriebryan has got a new peerie guy! It's so strange........did it hurt?

I looked around for yonks for a good price for my second hand iBook. The best place by far was good/bad old eBay.

If you are not a rebellious chancer like ^, check out;

2nd Chance PC who have sold me upgrade CPU, which seems ok, and also do refurbs.

or Cancom who sold me my"refurb", many trouble free years ago. It was boxed 'as new' at the time. They sometimes sell on job-lots of surplus industrial orders. It saved me 2-300 hundred anyway, and still had the transport protective film on it.

Never really had a chance to play around on Macs :oops: Started my "computering" experience when I was about 11/12 on an Olivetti 8086!

It only had 640Kb RAM and a 20Mb hard drive. Yes, You read that right!!

It ran MSDOS 3.30 and was more than capable to run all that you needed. My first forray into programming was batch file scripting - and I used to make menu systems to help using the computer. *nerd!*

I remember when I installed himem.sys as a device in the config.sys file for the first time. Opened up a whole new world of computing when I was able to reach into the extended / upper memory block - with a little assistance from emm386.exe too!

Now i'm afflicted with MS bloatware at work on decrepit Dell PC's - and choose Linux on a home-built PC for my own projects - though this "PC" laptop I'm on right now is running XP :roll:

- anyway, my point was that I guess I'm going to always be a rigid PC user as I never really known anything else .. barr an Atari 2600 when I was a child!

Now that was a console! The Atari 2600!

Computer programming has always been something that has fascinated me. Unfortunately I don't know anything about it.

I think I have an atari 2600 in my cupboard......got it in a charity shop fir £2!

My all time favourite was the sega mega drive. And the greatest game had to be Fifa 95 on the same platform...... This could be a new discussion, what do you think?

In my opinion nowt beats the good old C64, still remember the fun of dialling into BBS's with a 2400 baud modem....

By C64 you don't mean the wonderful commodore do you?

You don't mean it could link to something other than the dodgy tape recorder?

If so i'm gobsmacked! I already remember it with much fondness and admiration. Cartridges AND tapes. Programming for kids. Quality.

And a real keyboard (in your face sinclair!)