69 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the daddy

• Mac
    • PC

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use both on a regular basis, usually for several hours a day. I probably use a PC for 70% of the time, and a Mac for the rest.

I prefer the Mac operating system by a huge margin. It is far slicker, easier to use and is very stable. I've been using macs for 12 years and I have only experienced a handful of crashes, usually due to pilot error! My PC crashes at least once a week.

On my Mac, all the software works as it is meant to, because it is designed to work on a specific machine running a stable operating system. On the PC, because the component parts are made by many different manufacturers, there is no way to assure that any particular hardware / software combination will work without conflicts. And its impossible to get any hardware or software company to take responsibility when it doesn't work.

Apple went back to the drawing board with OS X and designed it from the ground up. Windows is a hangover from MS_DOS.

The only drawback of the Mac is the price. But from my point of view, the time saved by not having to tinker with the thing is worth the extra 15% or so many times over

The good point of a Windows PC is the price! And there is a better selection of software, especially shareware and freeware. I personaly don't use pirate software, but there is certainly more of that available for the PC. In fact, I can't think of anyone I know who has paid for software for their home PC.

I'm looking forward to the new 'Longhorn' version of windows. Hopefully it'll be a better upgrade than the 95, 98, XP upgrades which were all a severe disappointments. Windows was originally ripped of from the Mac OS, and Longhorn looks like an OS X rip off.

Its all horses for courses

P.S. Microsoft are evil

Mac it is!

Why have nylon when you can have silk? (before you even think it, i actually like cotton quite a lot, hence the bastardized analogy)

Anyhoo, here's an anecdote in favour of the Mac school.

A good friend of mine has had a pc for many years and did nothing apart from viewing photos on it. Just before Xmas he became the owner or a very decent Mac. Within three weeks he was turning out DVD slideshows with his own musical accompaniment without any tuition. Hands up all the PC owners who can easily do this?

Point made.

As to the price issue, well, even a refurb mac is a 'goodie'. I should know, i'm running an upgraded 4 year old refurb. No probs in that time. None! (touch wood!)

I use a Mac because they work properly. What about you?

Hello me boy! Greetings and good luck with the site, but I must beg to differ on the above statement!!

I use numerous PC's and Macs of varying ages, processor types and OS's both at work and at home and I have to say that my experience with both platforms is pretty much the same.

My main creative computer at work is a lovely big dual 2.5GHz G5 with 2.5 Gb of ram. I've been using it for about a year now and I have to say that, while it is a lovely machine to use (I agree that mac os is generally more intuitive), it crashes as regularly as any PC I've ever had. Admittedly, I'm running pretty system resource hungry video editing software like Final Cut HD, but isn't that what macs are supposed to be so much better at.

This kind of performance isn't confined to that machine either. I also regularly use several older G4s to run Dataton Trax show control software and they turd themselves on a reasonably regular basis as well.

Maybe it's the software I'm running, but in my experience a well set up and maintained PC system is just as stable as a mac.

That's maybe the point though, macs are usable straight out of the box while a PC takes a bit of persuasion to run well.

Guest Anonymous

i use a pc as when i used to work in schools their macs never all worked at the same time! - id Not have one even if i got it for free - oh i might though - then id sell it! :wink:

i use a pc as when i used to work in schools their macs never all worked at the same time! - id Not have one even if i got it for free - oh i might though - then id sell it! :wink:

A relative of mine used to work in a school, and to quote her the macs they had never had any probs from the day they got them until the SIC opted for cheap tat instead. She misses them in fact.

Another Massive point! Net security? Do i need it? NO! Does a PC? Recent Geek-mags are reckoning that an un-protected PC will last 20 seconds online before infection. (ptuh!) :evil:

Another Massive point! Net security? Do i need it? NO! Does a PC? Recent Geek-mags are reckoning that an un-protected PC will last 20 seconds online before infection. (ptuh!) :evil:

I've never used the Firewall on my Mac and its connected to the net for hours each day. I regularly run updated anti virus software and never once has any problem been reported :lol:

I connected my Mams PC to the net for her, and before I could get the firewall switched on it was infected.....in a matter of minutes :cry:

• 2 weeks later...