Dead fox

shetlandcars

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess as someone who has little farming background, I'd love to see foxes in Shetland. But I do understand that they can kill chickens and livestock.

I'd love to see one take on my Joey:

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v355/4/53/1269301394/n1269301394_123001_7728.jpg

They wouldn't stand a chance.

I heard or read once upon-a-time about someone from either the Queens Hotel - in the 19th century - or the Kergord estate having foxes in Shetland ... does this ring a bell with anyone? I know the Kergord estate introduced pheasants. You still see the odd one here and there from time to time in the wilds of the central mainland.

I think a fox could survive fairly well in Shetland. Plenty of rabbits to eat and rubbish to rake through, and enough wide open empty spaces to find shelter and stay out of sight most of the time.

I find the idea of a fox stowing away on a Northlink ferry almost unbelievable, but I guess anything is possible. The Aberdeen docks are quite close to the grassy banks of the River Dee so there are probably plenty of foxes in the area.

The Aberdeen docks are quite close to the grassy banks of the River Dee so there are probably plenty of foxes in the area.

I've seen foxes many times, but rarely in grassy or rural areas. Almost always I've met them in city streets. I think they look excellent, though usually somewhat scrawnier and less red than the classic image.